The end of NCL? Andy Stuart is gone.

TheDougOut

4 minutes ago, esm54687 said:

Based on this....  then you should be happy that Andy is stepping down because with him gone maybe the continuation and direction of the policies that deliver a less than perfect product have a chance to turn around....   it's not all FDR with Andy being a puppet 

Except Sommer was serving under FDR (direct report) at the parent company before being put in this position. I would think he's more likely to do what FDR wants. But maybe I'm wrong?

http://www.nclhltd.com/corporate-governance/leadership-team

I also haven't followed NCL enough to know anything of FDR vs Stuart vs even Sheehan or anything about Sommer. Just speaking on corporate structure and movement in general.

• Like 1

So sorry to hear this news.

Just had sent Andy a very complimentary email about recent Dawn B2B and heard back within minutes.  Have been impressed with him throughout the years and the pleasure to meet a couple of times.  Can't figure this one out at all.

I wish Andy well after years of dedicated service and demonstrated leadership ability.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steff79 said:

It think many decisions in the past was made by del rio, look at encore, the hull art, the race track was a decision by del rio. 

The only think what is sure, that del rio wants to make more money with Ncl ( that means that we have to pay more). In what way, we will see. I think more nickel and dime. 

The ncl with Kevin Sheehan was much more Sympathetic then under del rio now. 

How do you know Del Rio made the choice about the race track?  He has operations folks for those sorts of decisions.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, JCDCA said:

How do you know Del Rio made the choice about the race track?  He has operations folks for those sorts of decisions.

Ncl wrote at their own page it was a idear of del Rios grandchildren. 

https://www.ncl.com/de/de/travel-blog/things-you-didnt-know-about-norwegians-race-tracks

Edited by Steff79
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, LrgPizza said:

I'm surprised people on CC aren't rejoicing. The vast majority of the changes/policies/decisions made at NCL the past several years for which people complain about Frank Del Rio were actually made by Andy.

I like the guy and hate to see him go.

Hopefully I don't get in trouble for this post and it gets deleted, but if you listen to the NCLH investor conference calls Del Rio speaks as if all the major changes are his decisions. 

• Like 3

Since 2015; Stock from 47.3 to 52, Pax from 2.2 mil to 2.8 mil, GAPP net income from $342.6 to $954.8.  I would say he is doing exactly what he is being paid to do.  If one does not like those changes, the beauty of the free market is you get to take your dollars and get the best value for you as the individual.  Given the overall growth, I am willing to bet there are plenty of folks willing to fill the seats so to speak. In the end I book with NCL because I know the product, like the product, and know very well each and every line does things in the name of profit that I would not like.  Would anyone on here run a business without trying to maximize profit?

Then there is the matter that pops up from time to time regarding staff wages.  According to one popular business rag back in June, NCL boast the highest median annual earnings of $20k amongst the big 3 cruise lines.  Then you add in the increased regulation, cost of provisions, etc and again, he is doing exactly what he is paid to do.   Just my $.02, but if I had a business I'd hire a guy just like him to help build it, at least from a financial point of view, he could be a jerk for all I know.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Goldconnection said:

n my opinion this is NOT normal. I am not even sure if it is linked to cultural attitude. I think it is strange.

I think it is odd not being able to understand folks interest.  Senior executive leadership sets company strategy, which in turn impacts the customer experience.  A change in leadership can change those priorities, though it is difficult for anyone without inside knowledge to accurately predict how so.  

I think Celebrity under its current CEO shows a great example of this: Lutoff-Perlo has gone after new markets and opportunities, and in doing so made some very controversial decisions.  Some changes have had divisive appeal and negatively impacted the experience of longtime customers.

I'm not saying management shouldn't change to focus on what they view as more lucrative opportunities, that is business 101.  Such changes can happen at any time, but are especially likely with a new top executive coming onboard.  If well thought out and properly executed, these changes should improve the bottom line, but it is almost inevitable that someone, somewhere will see something they like go away or prices increase.

So frequent NCL cruisers have every reason to be interested in what could be coming down the pike.  Just because a change is good for NCL does not mean it will be good for them; it doesn't mean things will be worse wither.  Everyone has their own expectations and the more they know the better they can plan future cruises.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, willsears94 said:

This is the correct answer. 

I don't think NCL will completely go the route of Oceania. Certainly, they will do whatever is most profitable. I expect NCL to acquire a new cruise line in the next 5 years. 

Best wishes to Andy. 

Or NCL could be acquired......

4 hours ago, esm54687 said:

Based on this....  then you should be happy that Andy is stepping down because with him gone maybe the continuation and direction of the policies that deliver a less than perfect product have a chance to turn around....   it's not all FDR with Andy being a puppet 

I believe you could be right. Now if only Del Rio is next....

Edited by justhappy
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, justhappy said:

I agree. Let’s face it, Del Rio is a CPA, and all they look at is the bottom line, not guest satisfaction. Bean counters are the worst at taking the fun out of everything and making it all about profit. I know from personal experience!

Since Del Rio took over, it seems that 'fees' were added to just about everything. I'm not all that happy with the 'new' NCL. Prices have gone up - a lot in some cases.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, kitty-sail said:

Since Del Rio took over, it seems that 'fees' were added to just about everything. I'm not all that happy with the 'new' NCL. Prices have gone up - a lot in some cases.

But is that any different than any of the other mainstream cruise lines? It seems they all follow each other. 

5 hours ago, Goldconnection said:

In my opinion this is NOT normal. I am not even sure if it is linked to cultural attitude. I think it is strange.

Are you the authority on what is "normal"?  Who wants to be normal anyway. Yawn.  Everyone has their own interests.  My interest in cruising goes way beyond price, ship, cruise line, and destination.  Ships and the cruise industry are a hobby and I follow them closely.  If that isn't "normal" so be it.  I embrace not being normal and would never want to be classified as such.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, shof515 said:

does anyone else think that andy got tired of dealing with Del Rio?...if you hate dealing with your boss/upper management then sometimes it is best to move on

I can't imagine they were close buddies.  I don't think he is an easy person to get along with.  Lots of ego to deal with.  I just hope it was Andy's decision and he wasn't forced out.  Always best to go on your own terms.  He will land on top regardless, but he doesn't deserve to be shown the door after devoting so much of his life to NCL.  

• Like 1

My friend Dave from Dayton works in the industry- seems they are trying eventually to be like Ocieana - greed based.

Everything is now a nickel and dime. Before long they will charge for the buffett.

Encore has no pool (well like a wading pool) so one will be forced to choose between Spa and/or Vibe to get comforts that used to be included.

I had an unlimited beverage package in the 90's where I got alcohol at the port- brought it into the club or bar and had them bring me soda to mix my own drinks. Yeah, it was nervy but paid a lot for the ship.

Every year they raise service charges yet didn't get towels for two days on last boat. 

5 hours ago, VtMac said:

Since 2015; Stock from 47.3 to 52, Pax from 2.2 mil to 2.8 mil, GAPP net income from $342.6 to $954.8.  I would say he is doing exactly what he is being paid to do. 

Shares closed at $48 today.  So flat during a 5 year period where the DOW was up 35%.

• Like 1

Some months ago, I had the opportunity to speak openly with someone in the executive leadership team.  At that time (in 2019) Andy was set to become Frank's successor and was being groomed for the position ad Frank was looking at retirement in the near future. It was accepted by the board for succession planning (although the board ultimately controls that decision). Employees were happy with him, etc.  With all of the recent PR appearances, right up until a few days ago locally here in FL that Andy has done, I believe this may have been a sudden decision on someone's part, maybe Andy's.  October 1 is the beginning of the new quarter as well, when the board convenes for their meeting.  

Time will tell folks, as to the cultural affect and influence of the change. 

To be honest, the entire top deck plan of Encore is an abomination.  From the darn snake thing where Vibe was (a customer favorite fleetwide), to the lack of public chair space, to the empty and exploited vibe area, and more, this alone speaks volumes about the strategic decision making going on there, IMHO.

I've said all along that the pendulum will swing back hard the other way when this trend of decisions finally reaches it's peak, maybe this is that point, and maybe not.  Either way, stockholder performance (Cuba notwithstanding from Q2) is very healthy.