Question About Suite on Edge re: Drinks

RealDeal

Thinking about booking a suite w/no perks. Can someone please tell me if being in a suite would enable me to get alcoholic beverages at the Retreat or elsewhere throughout the day? I had always thought that was how it worked w/Michael's Club. I just called X & they told me no drinks for suite passengers unless you have the drink pkg.

Thanks. That's what I thought. It was like jumping thru hoops trying to get an answer from X & was told no drinks w/out drink pkg. Glad to see they're consistent in continuing to disseminate wrong info....

And since there is sometimes confusion on this, you will not be able to get free drinks at the Retreat sun deck.  The Retreat does have refrigerators with soda and water so that you can help yourself, and as Gordon said, remove those from the area.  The Retreat sun deck is very close to the Retreat and it is easy (for most) to go back and forth to save a few dollars. 

1 minute ago, JFontaine said:

And since there is sometimes confusion on this, you will not be able to get free drinks at the Retreat sun deck.  The Retreat does have refrigerators with soda and water so that you can help yourself, and as Gordon said, remove those from the area.  The Retreat sun deck is very close to the Retreat and it is easy (for most) to go back and forth to save a few dollars. 

OK, thx. I'm still really annoyed that X can't answer a simple question such as this correctly...

1 minute ago, cangelmd said:

I did not think you could book a suite without a drink package? Maybe not an upper level suite?

Yes, you can. They have prices for perks & no perks...at least for the sailing I'm looking at. $1K difference & if drinks are available in the lounge, I don't need the drink pkg.

The That seems to change from offering to offering.  Often exciting deals, resident, senior or military rates have a no perk option.  But frequently the senior, resident military rates aren’t offered.  

We are looking at a cruise for 2020 and both refundable and non-refundable rates include the 4 perks for a Sky suite.

Edited by jelayne

1 minute ago, jelayne said:

That seems to change from offering to offering.  Often exciting deals, resident, senior or military rates have a no perk option.  But frequently the senior, resident military rates aren’t offered.  

We are looking at a cruise for 2020 and both refundable and non-refundable rates include the 4 perks for a suite.

Thanks, Jelayne! Yes, I think it's a resident rate & for a cruise that's past FP.

Whenever I book a Sky Suite I am able to book without the perks - sometimes my travel agent goes through as many as 34 different fares with qualifications, restrictions, perks, etc.  On an upcoming 7 day Edge Caribbean cruise in a S3 as a solo, the four perks adds an additional $1700 from the standard base rate (not senior, not military, not state related).  I passed on that. 

While the Royal Suite and above comes with certain amenities that some buy as perks (beverage package and internet), it doesn't come with other perks (gratuities, on board credit) - so you should always look for the "perk-less fare" or you could be paying for the beverage package and internet twice. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cangelmd said:

I did not think you could book a suite without a drink package? Maybe not an upper level suite?

I can advise that you can gook without a drink package on many cruises.    If you book using the Residency Rate and other promotional rates they do not have any perks.   They are not available on all sailing but we often use them as we are Zenith and already get a drink package as a Zenith benefit. 

If someone wouldn't quote me a perk-less suite I would call another travel agent. But the RS and above come with certain amenities, like a drink package and certain specialty restaurant benefits, and you can't get a quote without those. 

Edited by JFontaine

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

I can advise that you can gook without a drink package on many cruises.    If you book using the Residency Rate and other promotional rates they do not have any perks.   They are not available on all sailing but we often use them as we are Zenith and already get a drink package as a Zenith benefit. 

43 minutes ago, JFontaine said:

If someone wouldn't quote me a perk-less suite I would call another travel agent. But the RS and above come with certain amenities, like a drink package and certain specialty restaurant benefits, and you can't get a quote without those. 

Maybe it is an upper suite that Celeb was talking about...

They don't have a free-standing bar in the Retreat Lounge, but have servers all day into the evening who will serve wine, beer, cocktails that are complimentary to all suite guests (and Zenith, VIPs) - ask if they don't have your favorites and they may be able to stock them. It is a comfortable space with ocean views on one end and an outdoor deck on the other, with stairs there up to the Retreat Sundeck where there is a very nice bar and many loungers, pool, hot tub. You can bring your drinks up there or charge drinks from the bar up there to your account, if you wish.

There is a serving area in the downstairs lounge with continental breakfast, afternoon tea and then munchies in the evening (sushi, cheese, fruit, olives, meats, etc.). There are tables in front of that area. On the Sundeck there are tables near the bar and you can order snacks or lunch up there. It is a nice set up. 🙂

Retreat Lounge Self-Serve Coolers

image.thumb.png.11380504e99cfc0696030c155c2c417b.png

image.thumb.png.6f1bc5a3ca8a2540e013048c458cdd58.png

Retreat Lounge Tables

image.thumb.png.e9fdc8b1c836929bd671013df7d7a2aa.png

Outside Deck of Retreat Lounge:

image.thumb.png.17a4134b05c7a80ca7d552f6238dfe7c.png

Retreat Lounge:

image.thumb.png.a811d8eea979a9f75cd4f931c09d7f8d.png

Drinks in Retreat Lounge:

image.thumb.png.32fc424743be80669cc367602b2c1cc1.png

Retreat Lounge Afternoon/Evening Munchies

image.png.47dbf3da8c36d8128c1537d30113eec1.png

Retreat Sundeck Bar

image.thumb.png.da145d41d6547ce3c49f81028dafeb42.png

Edited by vtcruising

6 hours ago, JFontaine said:

We were on the Equinox last month and the Retreat Lounge was on deck 5, I think, midship, and the Retreat Sundeck was on deck 14, all the way forward. Too far for me to go back and forth for drinks. There is a free standing bar in the Retreat Lounge on the Equinox, in response to a later post. Might be ship specific.

Just back from 11 nights on the Edge in a suite. If you are talking alcoholic drinks you would have to be a very light, occasional drinker to get by solely by relying on the Retreat. As a previous poster pointed out the lounge is on a different deck from the sundeck/pool and also not near Luminae (or much else in terms of common areas). There is no formal bar in the lounge and I would guess therefore the drink options are somewhat limited.

We just finished sailing in a sky suite on the Reflection (Aug /Sept 2019)without a drink package.  The original booking was a guarantee suite and we were assigned an S2.  We did not pay for the package because we are Elite.  We did have some drinks in Micheal's because the bourbon was better than Jim Beam.  We did take water and beers from the cooler to our suite refrigerator for in room consumption.  We did not get wine during dinner at Luminae but were never uncomfortable bringing it in from a bar using the Elite perk.  The waiter always put it in a fancy glass for us.  We sometimes picked up a drink for the show after Elite

expired at 8:00.  Enjoy your sweet cruise.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, miaminative0853 said:

Just back from 11 nights on the Edge in a suite. If you are talking alcoholic drinks you would have to be a very light, occasional drinker to get by solely by relying on the Retreat. As a previous poster pointed out the lounge is on a different deck from the sundeck/pool and also not near Luminae (or much else in terms of common areas). There is no formal bar in the lounge and I would guess therefore the drink options are somewhat limited.

Unless things have changed, I’m  quite sure they have a full bar behind the door in the Edge Retreat. We ordered several different things over the 12 days we had access to the Retreat Lounge and had an excellent experience. 

The elevators are right outside the door of the Retreat Lounge and Luminae 2 decks down right next to elevator and Sundeck one deck up right next to elevator so easy peasy to take drinks there. It is actually very central to the suite venues.

On other ships we have also taken drinks from Michaels to Luminae, even though further away than on the Edge,  and it also wasn’t a big deal. OP, you should be just fine!

Edited by vtcruising

3 hours ago, vtcruising said:

Unless things have changed, I’m  quite sure they have a full bar behind the door in the Edge Retreat. We ordered several different things over the 12 days we had access to the Retreat Lounge and had an excellent experience. 

The elevators are right outside the door of the Retreat Lounge and Luminae 2 decks down right next to elevator and Sundeck one deck up right next to elevator so easy peasy to take drinks there. It is actually very central to the suite venues.

On other ships we have also taken drinks from Michaels to Luminae, even though further away than on the Edge,  and it also wasn’t a big deal. OP, you should be just fine!

For those who haven't been on the Edge, these deck plans show where the Retreat Lounge is located in relation to the Sundeck and Luminae. The elevators are outside all three venues so it is very easy to go from one to the other.

933767868_Retreatmapxx.thumb.jpg.b89bc4ced3e7679282af38ba6443e89f.jpg

• Like 1