Pinnacle Perks - will Royal keep them in the long run?

This thread was actually inspired by one over in the NCL forum when people were complaining about how pointless the Ambassador status is (top tier), and how there are only less than 40 total left (they're dying off faster than they are being replaced). I'm relatively young by cruising standards, and have a few good decades (or more) left in me. The Pinnacle benefits look very attractive to me and you get almost all of the benefits of being in a suite (priority embark/debark, concierge lounge, priority show seats, suite restaurant, etc). I've only sailed NCL before and I have a few RCI cruises coming up as well, but I'm wondering if I should focus more of my cruise dollars on RCI to try to get to Pinnacle faster. If I sail in Jr Suites/Suites and average 15-20 nights/year, I can hit Pinnacle in about 17-23 years.

However, my concern is that by the time I get there, the benefits will be reduced or removed. I think we've all seen the cruise product slowly deteriorate over time, with cutbacks and quality being reduced while prices keep rising. How protective is RCI about its loyalty benefits? Have they made cutbacks before?

Oh wise cruisers of Cruise Critic - will Pinnacles have the same perks 20 years from now?

18 minutes ago, tomservo said:

This thread was actually inspired by one over in the NCL forum when people were complaining about how pointless the Ambassador status is (top tier), and how there are only less than 40 total left (they're dying off faster than they are being replaced). I'm relatively young by cruising standards, and have a few good decades (or more) left in me. The Pinnacle benefits look very attractive to me and you get almost all of the benefits of being in a suite (priority embark/debark, concierge lounge, priority show seats, suite restaurant, etc). I've only sailed NCL before and I have a few RCI cruises coming up as well, but I'm wondering if I should focus more of my cruise dollars on RCI to try to get to Pinnacle faster. If I sail in Jr Suites/Suites and average 15-20 nights/year, I can hit Pinnacle in about 17-23 years.

However, my concern is that by the time I get there, the benefits will be reduced or removed. I think we've all seen the cruise product slowly deteriorate over time, with cutbacks and quality being reduced while prices keep rising. How protective is RCI about its loyalty benefits? Have they made cutbacks before?

Oh wise cruisers of Cruise Critic - will Pinnacles have the same perks 20 years from now?

Perks always change. Depending on who you speak with some change is bad, some change is good. 

For the most part,  I've found most changes to the C& A program to be positive.

• Like 6

No one participating on these forums can answer your question.  

Cruise to enjoy your cruise, don't cruise to attain status in any loyalty program.  Stick with one cruise line if they float your boat (ship).  Sticking with one cruise line does mean you will miss out on something, better price, better ship, better itinerary, or all of the above at least some of the time.

Edited by twangster
  • Like 2

Royal Benefits have changed in last 20+ yrs. At one time Diamond was the only top Tier, Diamond Plus or Pinnacle. Back then among other benefits Diamond were first on/off ship, got Formal meet with Captain and Senior Officers, also had access to Concierge Lounge and there was no Suite Lounge... Benefits will change in Future. 20yrs ago at most was 6-10 Diamonds(top Tier) sailing popular routes on newest ships. Now, at times 500+ and more Top Tier on a sailing

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, twangster said:

No one participating on these forums can answer your question.  

Of course no one can answer this question. However we can speculate and offer opinions based on numerous factors, including Royal's past actions to either improve or reduce loyalty benefits, along with other factors such as whether or not the number of Pinnacles is increasing or decreasing at any significant rate. I think the fact the NCL's Ambassadors are decreasing is telling, for example.

18 minutes ago, twangster said:

Sticking with one cruise line does mean you will miss out on something, better price, better ship, better itinerary, or all of the above at least some of the time.

I didn't say all my cruise dollars would go to Royal, but if their high end loyalty benefits are much better than NCL, I might be better off putting more of my cruise dollars towards them vs say NCL for example. 700 points is a long, long ways away so no it's not anywhere close to the top factor in my cruising decision-making process, but just something fun to think and talk about (which I think others on this thread got, hence the popcorn memes). 

IN MY OPINION.....  

Something must change. The shared space in the SL/CL and SL/CK on Oasis Class between Suites and Pinnacle’s, as Pinnacle numbers continue to increase, will become nearly impossible to manage to satisfy both groups. 

Suite numbers and averages don’t typically change Cruise to Cruise while Pinnacle numbers continue to grow in the swarming season. 

I don’t have an answer to resolve other than eliminating one of the two groups from the SL/CK. Even if Suites were eliminated, there would be times with high Pinnacle numbers onboard would still create issues with space.

Flame on..... 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, tomservo said:

Of course no one can answer this question. However we can speculate and offer opinions based on numerous factors, including Royal's past actions to either improve or reduce loyalty benefits, along with other factors such as whether or not the number of Pinnacles is increasing or decreasing at any significant rate. 

Past performance is no guarantee of future results.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

IN MY OPINION.....  

Something must change. The shared space in the SL/CL and SL/CK on Oasis Class between Suites and Pinnacle’s, as Pinnacle numbers continue to increase, will become nearly impossible to manage to satisfy both groups. 

Suite numbers and averages don’t typically change Cruise to Cruise while Pinnacle numbers continue to grow in the swarming season. 

I don’t have an answer to resolve other than eliminating one of the two groups from the SL/CK. Even if Suites were eliminated, there would be times with high Pinnacle numbers onboard would still create issues with space.

Flame on..... 

I think you are right.  On our recent Harmony B2B, the first week had over 1000 diamonds, 500 D+ and 50 pinnacles.  The diamond lounge was packed each night, overflow was in the jazz club and it, too, was packed  until about 730.  Numbers must have been down the 2nd week as it was possible to find an empty seat in the lounge around 7pm but we did not attend the top tier event so have no idea what totals were.  We noticed quite a few pinnacle pins in the diamond lounge and wondered if the suite lounge was overcrowded.

As the numbers continue to grow, I think Royal is going to have to change the perks. Giving the 3 drink vouchers has not decreased overcrowding in the lounges and I don’t see Royal being willing to continue opening areas for overflow that could be used to generate revenue.

Sherri🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

IN MY OPINION.....  

Flame on..... 

Easy solution- stop having low priced times during the year.  

When we sail during holidays (which we do, since we still work), there are hardly any Pinnacles on board- normally less than 10.  Our last 4 sailings out of San Juan, we were in the top 3 cruisers, and we are still not P.

P's are high during hurricane season, TAs, beginning of Dec.  That's the only time this is actually a problem.  

BTW, numbers grow because there are SO MANY SHIPS out there to sail on.  There are 4 Oasis ships sailing every week right now- which adds ~24,000 to the numbers of C&A.  Just on those ships.  Add in the ~4k for Quantum and Freedom ships- that's another ~24k people.   Not doing all of the math, I'm guess that there are more than 75,000 x 7 nights awarded every single week.  AKA- + 500,000 cruise points without any suite bonus.  It's really easy to find a birth to sleep in these days.  Points are added very, very quickly.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

IN MY OPINION.....  

Flame on..... 

Exactly - this is the kind of thing that could lead to a reduction of loyalty benefits.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, sjb317 said:

I think you are right.  On our recent Harmony B2B, the first week had over 1000 diamonds, 500 D+ and 50 pinnacles.  The diamond lounge was packed each night, overflow was in the jazz club and it, too, was packed  until about 730.  Numbers must have been down the 2nd week as it was possible to find an empty seat in the lounge around 7pm but we did not attend the top tier event so have no idea what totals were.  We noticed quite a few pinnacle pins in the diamond lounge and wondered if the suite lounge was overcrowded.

As the numbers continue to grow, I think Royal is going to have to change the perks. Giving the 3 drink vouchers has not decreased overcrowding in the lounges and I don’t see Royal being willing to continue opening areas for overflow that could be used to generate revenue.

Sherri🙂

How do you know that the vouchers have not reduced lounge usage? It could be even worse!  😉 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

I wasn't aware fun was allowed.😇

It is a new policy that started 3 hours ago.  It will maybe last for another 3 hours, then we will return to normal.

To the OP, what in life do you expect to be the same 20 years from now as it is today?

jc

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, tomservo said:

700 points is a long, long ways away so no it's not anywhere close to the top factor in my cruising ....

When cruising switches from a vacation to a hobby/lifestyle,  the points rack up fast 

We went from 350 to 1050 in 3 and a half years

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

IN MY OPINION.....  

Flame on..... 

Let's see how the 50th birthday cruise plays out. After that I guess it will be Anthem and Allure TA's followed by Odyssey