Looking for interesting things to do while in Dublin for 2 days

JenGi

As we await our ship set to sail on May 8, 2020, we will be staying at the Maldron hotel on Kevin street. Are there any interesting things to do? I heard that the Church restaurant is a good place to visit. Any ideas would be appreciated.  

In central Dublin... Kilmainham Gaol, Guiness Storehouse Brewery, Grafton St. shopping, Trinity College ground and the Book of Kells, the General Post Office, St. Patrick Cathedral, Christ Church Cathedral, St. Stephen's Green Park.  Reading up on Ireland's independence movement before visiting the Gaol and Post Office will help understand their importance to the Irish.

• Like 1

General post Office (GPO), Epic (the most underrated attraction in Dublin) and The Little Museum of Dublin are my top three.  After that the rest are all fine.  One often overlooked (and free!) thing is the well presented exhibition the history of Ireland found in the basement of Dublin City Hall.  

You'll have to look for it, but there is a map on the Internet showing the location of the ancient walls of the city.  I wouldn't suggest spending a day walking them (we did but have been to Dublin multiple times) but take a look at the other places you are going and see if there is a portion within a block or two of your destination.  

You could also visit the Garden of Remembrance after the GPO.

Personally I think Guiness is just blah.  It's a money grub, and a huge tourist trap.  There are so many other breweries so much more interesting in the world.  Too bad they closed it after some hooligan stole the head of one of the mummies, because St. Michan's Crypt was unusual.  The churchyard behind is a beautiful place to spend a few quiet moments.  Stop by and say hi to Phil Lynott for me.  😉  About a block away is Kehoes Pub, one of the oldest pubs in Dublin and a truly authentic Irish pub.  

O'Donoghues Bar is another longstanding and authentic pub, many say that the Dubliners got their start there.  

Ducklite,  I will look for the city hall as I love history.  Thanks. I saw a number of restaurants in the area too besides the pubs, anywhere with really good food?  

35 minutes ago, JenGi said:

Ducklite,  I will look for the city hall as I love history.  Thanks. I saw a number of restaurants in the area too besides the pubs, anywhere with really good food?  

We had a great dinner at Brookwood on Baggot St. Lower a couple blocks from St. Stephens Green. There's also a place called M+L Chinese that has authentic Szechuan.

I will say, I also found the Guiness Storehouse uninteresting, for the most part.  But it's a big draw in town, so I put it on the list.  The glass of beer included in the price didn't do anything for me either.  I mostly just ate in pubs/restaurants that I came across as I walked around.  I can't recall the names or locations of them.  I'm not a foody.

Got to disagree about the Guinness tour.

I think it is brilliant. But then again, I love Guinness. And nowhere in the world serves it like Dublin.

The Post Office is utterly brilliant, and gives a proper history tour of Dublin, and just how awsful the British were.

Still got the bullet holes in the pillars outside. Amazing place and started my obsession with the Easter rising.

And dont forget to spend a few hours drinking in Temple bar. A fantastic atmosphere with loads of live Irish Folk music. OK  abit touristy and a bit pricey but brilliant fun.

• Thanks 1

On 10/7/2019 at 11:42 AM, DarrenM said:

The Post Office is utterly brilliant, and gives a proper history tour of Dublin, and just how awsful the British were.

Well, that's a good simplistic view. 

Be different!  Dublin still has a viking duck tour using the old amphibious landers.  Really fun! You get to learn about the viking history and the city layout for later wandering. https://citysplashtours.com/Dublin

Also check out the Clockwork Door https://www.clockworkdoor.ie/

They have 2 escape rooms and a gaming room with loads of board and card games.  So much fun and so welcoming we actually reschedule our day 2 activities to go back!

Also Vaults Live https://www.vaults.live/

I won't say its the best history lesson but it is fun and very atmospheric.  The Bram Stoker scene in particular  is great.

We had 2 days in Dublin about 6 weeks ago and it was the unexpected highlight of the Irish portion of the cruise.

Oh... and the museums are all free entrance - we had meant to get to the Natural History one but had to go back and play a second escape room instead!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GastroGnome said:

Oh... and the museums are all free entrance - we had meant to get to the Natural History one but had to go back and play a second escape room instead!

We visited the Museum of Natural History on two visits to Dublin.  The Celtic gold collection is SPECTACULAR!!!  Also, the Irish Treasury items.  This exhibit includes two illuminated manuscripts.  Not as fancy as the Book of Kells but no standing in line for a minute look.  And, of course, the "Bog Men".  We did not go to the other exhibits so we still had time for more sites in Dublin.  Here's a link: https://www.museum.ie/Archaeology/Exhibitions/Current-Exhibitions  And....yes, the entrance is free,

<<<Karen>>>

We actually enjoyed going to Jameson (book in advance), but it does help if you enjoy sipping whiskey.  While this place is no longer a real you do learn about the history and process.  And the tasting is fun.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

In addition to day trips south to County Wicklow (I love Powerscourt!), there are also day trips north to County Meath, visiting the Hill of Tara and Newgrange, if you have any interest in archaeology.

My favourite site in Dublin itself is probably also Trinity College -- not only for its Book of Kells/Library but also for its student-led tours. (Do join one if visiting Trinity. They'll give you a discount on the tour if you already have pre-booked Kells tickets. Or their standard ticket includes admission to the Kells exhibit.)

Also, while in Dublin, if jetlag allows, spend a night on the town. If you're not the pub crawl type, willing to wander and find a pint and some music in the Temple Bar area, you could book entertainment like the Evening of Food, Folklore, and Fairies at the Brazen Head or the Irish House Party at the Lansdowne Hotel or similar.

(Do not be persuaded to go see the Cliffs of Moher on the Atlantic Coast. It's a long drive to get there and back, you can't guarantee the weather/visibility, and the Cliffs aren't even the best part of the Wild Atlantic Way. Take another trip to visit the Atlantic Coast sometime later.)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 10/12/2019 at 10:34 AM, homeofthehound said:

If you like Donuts go to The Rolling Donut! It was delicious 😃 We also did the HOHO bus which was fun - our drivers were hilarious! 

20190821_141329.jpg

20190821_142703.jpg

Hi, curious to know which HOHO bus company you used. Looking to do a HOPO bus with our 8 year old son.

8 hours ago, Ladybug18 said:

Hi, curious to know which HOHO bus company you used. Looking to do a HOPO bus with our 8 year old son.

Hi - we used 'the green' bus operated by DoDublin. Our cruise ship port shuttle bus dropped us off at the North West corner of Merrion Square. We walked off that bus, across the intersection and there were a bunch of HoHo's ready to go. We just happened to choose this company's and we loved it. Happy Planning! 😀

P1090432.JPG

Just wanted to add the recommendation to tour Kilmainham Gaol. It's very interesting and on the HoHo bus routes. Be sure to book your tickets in advance as they do sell out. We stayed across the street at the Hilton and loved the area. Would also recommend Union 8 restaurant around the corner from the Jail - a bit expensive but excellent.

http://kilmainhamgaolmuseum.ie/