Copenhagen Hotel Recommendations

Hi All,

Have you any recommendations for Copenhagen hotels which are suitable for cruise passengers.  I need something close enough to the airport and cruise terminal.

I thank you very much in advance of your help.

Airport and cruise terminal are on different sides of town, and there isn't much close to cruise terminal.  Thus you need to decide between close to airport or in town.  We choose and were very happy with AC Bella by Marriott.  Airport Shuttle, easy walking distance to Metro to get to town, shopping mall with food outlets, grocery stores for wine

within extended walking distance.  We just took Taxi to cruise terminal about $60 US dollars.

If you go back to airport after getting off ship there is a great cheap shuttle option from ship to airport too.

We stayed at The Admiral last year prior to our Baltic cruise. We loved it, a beautiful hotel, a couple of blocks from Nyhavn, on the water, great breakfast, air conditioning. I am one of those that will pay a bit more for a nice hotel with a good location. This one wasn't the cheapest but it made for a memorable stay in Copenhagen.

Highly recommend the Hotel Bethel on Nyhavn. A lot less expensive than the Marriott and other large hotels, includes a full breakfast, the HOHO bus stops right next to the hotel, the canal tours from in front. Lots of shops, pubs, bistros literally right across the canal bridge, a 5-minute stroll across. A bit old-fashioned but charming, decor is not like going to Ikea. https://hotel-bethel.copenhagen-hotel.net/en/

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Pam in CA said:

Highly recommend the Hotel Bethel on Nyhavn. A lot less expensive than the Marriott and other large hotels, includes a full breakfast, the HOHO bus stops right next to the hotel, the canal tours from in front. Lots of shops, pubs, bistros literally right across the canal bridge, a 5-minute stroll across. A bit old-fashioned but charming, decor is not like going to Ikea. https://hotel-bethel.copenhagen-hotel.net/en/

But be careful to look at the small print.  If A/C is important to you, this hotel does not have it.  We just were in Copenhagen on August 27th and WAS very glad our rooms had A/C.  Would have been a restless night without it!

Pooh

• Like 1

We've stayed in a few small hotels in Copenhagen (four post-cruisestays, 1 pre-cruise stay), usually near the train station, which offers inexpensive (for Copenhagen) eating options, plus we've taken the train twice (once to Kronborg, aka Helsignor; once to Frederiksborg Castle, which involves a train ride then a bus ride).  The station is on the Hop-On, Hop-Off route.  We've also stayed at the Marriott when someone on our roll call found out they had a special, inexpensive deal.  And once we stayed at a small hotel behind the Opera House--a part of the city we'd never spent much, if any, time in.  It was close enough to the waterfront to walk over there and we had dinner at a delightful small restaurant near the hotel.  Personally, I would never stay out at the airport because it's so far from the city center, which we enjoy so much.

Edited by BarbinMich

51 minutes ago, PoohUnderstands said:

But be careful to look at the small print.  If A/C is important to you, this hotel does not have it.  We just were in Copenhagen on August 27th and WAS very glad our rooms had A/C.  Would have been a restless night without it!

Pooh

Totally agree with Pooh.  We stayed in Copenhagen 8/30 to 9/3 and it was warm.  Our hotel, Hotel Kong Arthur, DID NOT have any a/c and the DW was not pleased.  They provided several fans but was not helpful.  They said that the older hotels in the city do not have a/c due to age of the buildings and cost to install.  So, yes, definitely read the fine print.  However, according to the locals it was unusually warm for that time of year.  Copenhagen is a wonderful city, enjoy, and look out for all of the bicycles.

Bill

Agree with Pam. The Nyhavn area is close to the canal rides, restaurants and is at the eastern end of the pedestrian area that runs from basically from Tivoli to Nyhavn. If you stay in the Tivoli area there is the Radisson and some others. We stayed one night in the Crown Plaza near the airport. This is a nice hotel, but kind of out of the way. You would have to take transportation to get to any sites.

Note: be prepared for higher prices in restaurants than you may be used to.

I recommend you check out the hotel options with the Guldsmeden Hotels.  They have several locations in Copenhagen.  Their breakfast is fantastic.   I've stayed at the 66 Guldsmeden and it was very nice boutique hotel.  I've also stayed at their Oslo location.  Would absolutely go back to both of them in the future.

7 hours ago, Married15 said:

We stayed at The Admiral last year prior to our Baltic cruise. We loved it, a beautiful hotel, a couple of blocks from Nyhavn, on the water, great breakfast, air conditioning. I am one of those that will pay a bit more for a nice hotel with a good location. This one wasn't the cheapest but it made for a memorable stay in Copenhagen.

I stayed at this hotel many years ago and absolutely loved it! Highly recommend!

• Like 1

If you like to do it yourself for transportation (I think I paid the equivalent of $16 for a day pass) and can deal with a pretty spartan room, you might look at the very reasonably priced CPH Studio Hotel. Clean and modern, but the floor was concrete and the shower was a Scandanavian wet room type. 

It's about 100 yards from the metro, a few stops up from the airport (hence the name), quite handy to get from the airport, to/from downtown and then on to the cruise terminal.

For me, the selection of a hotel was based on access to public transportation.  Taxis are ridiculously expensive to the point that you could end up paying more to get from the airport and to the port than you're paying for a one night stay in a hotel.  I do disagree with the posters that advocate not staying out by the airport.  The Crowne Plaza is right next to the train/metro station and only a couple of stops from the airport.  It's only a 10 minute ride from the center of town, and it offers relatively easy public transportation to the port.  I define easy as minimal walking while dragging luggage.

2 minutes ago, cardbucfan said:

@FredZiffle-thanks for this.  I have free night certificates from my IHG credit cards and could use them there but it seemed so far away from everything for just 2 nights. I usually prefer boutique hotels but free is a better option!

lol.  I'm using my IHG credit card points as well.  Let me know if you need the specifics on using public transportation from the hotel to the port.

3 minutes ago, FredZiffle said:

lol.  I'm using my IHG credit card points as well.  Let me know if you need the specifics on using public transportation from the hotel to the port.

Oh, that would be wonderful!  We aren't cruising until next August but our flight gets in around 9:00 p.m. and I know we'll be stupid tired by then (have a planned 9 hour layover in Amsterdam first!). I was really hoping there would be a Hilton as I have a ton of Hilton points but there aren't any in the whole country!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cardbucfan said:

Oh, that would be wonderful!  We aren't cruising until next August but our flight gets in around 9:00 p.m. and I know we'll be stupid tired by then (have a planned 9 hour layover in Amsterdam first!). I was really hoping there would be a Hilton as I have a ton of Hilton points but there aren't any in the whole country!

At the airport, take the 029 or IC train two stops to Orestad St..  When you exit the station, you'll see the Crowne Plaza to your left about 100 yards away.  If you're getting a Copenhagen Card, obviously public transportation is free.  If you're not, it's about the same price to use the hotel's shuttle.  I don't have much info on the shuttle since we won't be using it, but it might be worth looking into since it would obviously drop you off right at the hotel and save the walk from the train station.

To get to the port, Take train 1337, 1037, or 1339 (and probably others as well, but these are the three that are serving the route on the date and time I need) from Orestad St. to Osterport Station.  Just look for one that has  Osterport Station listed as a stop.  When you exit the train at Osterport, walk in the direction away from the station itself, and you'll see an elevator up to the pedestrian walkway.  Go up, walk across the walkway, and then take another elevator down to the street.  The bus stop for Bus 27 is right across the street (and well-marked).  Bus 27 will take you right to the cruise terminal at Oceankaj.  Danish Viking actually posted pictures of what the transfer at Osterport Station looks like.  I've attached them below.

Let me know if you have any questions.  Our cruise is in a couple of weeks, so I'll discover first-hand if I've made any mistakes in my directions.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Edited by FredZiffle
  • Like 2

Just a quick note. 

The train numbers are not listed on the destination boards.

Only the departure time, type of train and destination. 

Most useful train is the Øresundstog train (marked with the letter Ø in a green square) with destinations like Helsingør and Nivå when going from the airport towards Østerport. 

When going from Østerport to the airport the destination is either any of the swedish town's (Göteborg, Kalmar, Växjö etc) or the airport. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/4/2019 at 2:50 PM, paradiselivin1 said:

Surprised no one ever mentions using AirBnb. We had a terrific place last year and you should be able to find a location that meets your needs unless you wait too long.

I agree. We are a party of three adults. Having a hard time finding a hotel to accommodate us. Where did you stay, if you remember?

20 hours ago, csr10236 said:

I agree. We are a party of three adults. Having a hard time finding a hotel to accommodate us. Where did you stay, if you remember?

Admiral hotel should accommodate 3 people. They have a room with a loft.