Can’t decide between La Cucina or Tepanyaki?

christa

Teppanyaki is good to try once (the routine has not changed in over 5 years) but best with a group of friends. If you are dining with just 2, you are at the mercy of the other groups (and not to mention the Teppanyaki cook)  you are with, so it is a hit or miss. If you are an interactive diner, then you will enjoy it but if not, it might annoy you.

Edited by xcell

We have done both several times and had mixed meals: good and bad. Teppanaki's depends as much on how good the chef is at entertaining the group. the food is typical and we think pretty good, but not gourmet by any means. La cucina has always been satisfactory but on the Dawn earlier this year, with the exception of my husbands meal, it was awful: wrong orders coming out: cold and very poor service. I think I would choose Teppanaki's to be truthful. This is just my opinion.As for too salty I have heard that before, but I expect Asian food, if authentic to be on the salty side. 

All comments above are so true. Noise ,no communications, but fun at Teppanakki. Sometimes fair food at La Cuccino. Also depends on ships with sometimes added venues like Bayamo & Food Republic.

Next cruise , entitled to 7 specialties with only 5 venues , so I might be biting the bullet twice someplace. That's a hard decision.

Not going with family , you can be a loner at Teppanakki. lol

I vote teppanyaki.

Been there and La Cucina 2x, enjoyed both so I don't think you'll go wrong with either choice. The lasagna on Escape was my wife's all time fave (and she's from st louis, home of many great Italian joints). The 2nd time on Epic she retracted that claim, have to admit my bite was noticeably not as good as before. 

Good luck!!!

16 hours ago, BostonGal35 said:

Teppanyaki!

but we are spoiled with "real" italian food here in Boston.

I know how you feel about '"real" We are from or have spent much of our lives in So. Ca, NM and Texas. We do not see the attraction everyone has for Los Lobos. It is good, but certainly not what we call true Mexican food. 

• 4 months later...

Teppanyaki, no question. 

I didn't think La Cucina was any better than any average Italian food I could get stateside. 

Teppanyaki isn't just a meal, it's a show and a social event.  There probably are similar experiences to be had stateside, but this is the sort of thing that I would only want to do on vacation.  I wouldn't normally do it (and never have) at home. 

If you've never done a Teppanyaki, then you should do it once at least...for the showmanship of the chef, plus I liked the food.  I really did like the chicken parm in La Cucina, but do see they may have veal parm now.  Otherwise, always enjoyed it for an average Italian restaurant.   

The OP asked this question over four months ago, so I assume she settled on her choice long ago. 😁

Having said that, IMHO La Cucina is on a par with Olive Garden. It's okay, but not great. 

Teppanyaki is similar to land-based hibachi restaurants, but it's a nice enough diversion and "free" entertainment with dinner.

Our next cruise is leaving from Rome, so for our SDP we're passing on the ship's Italian and opting for Teppanyaki.