Things to Do - Not Beach

kayjaypea42

Hi all.  My folks are disinclined to do a beach day on Roatan due to the concerns over sand flees. Whether they truly are an issue or not, they're not willing to take a chance since Roatan is our first port; they don't want the trip spoiled by itching. What else is there to do in port here?  Is this a good port to do some shopping?  Is there anything to do in the port area itself?  Are there any cultural tours for like $20 a head like there are in other ports?  TIA!

Edited by kayjaypea42
elaboration

53 minutes ago, kayjaypea42 said:

Hi all.  My folks are disinclined to do a beach day on Roatan due to the concerns over sand flees. Whether they truly are an issue or not, they're not willing to take a chance since Roatan is our first port; they don't want the trip spoiled by itching. What else is there to do in port here?  Is this a good port to do some shopping?  Is there anything to do in the port area itself?  Are there any cultural tours for like $20 a head like there are in other ports?  TIA!

which port, there are two ports on Roatan?

25 minutes ago, kayjaypea42 said:

I believe we're in Coxen Hole. This is with NCL. They're also not wanting to do monkeys/sloths. Thanks!! 

Not a lot to do in immediate area - limited port shopping. 

Maybe take a look here and see if anything appeals

https://roatantourismbureau.com/port-of-roatan

You could get a private driver for a few hours to take a tour of the island  (usually $25pp if you have more than 4 people), photos ops, Jade museum, cameo factory, chocolate factory, rum factory, shops in West End, maybe lunch at Temporary Cal’s ( recommended, but I haven’t been yet but it sits up high above the sea away from the beach and has good views). Zip lining.

Get a cab or private driver and go to Temporary Cal’s Cantina for lunch.  Amazing fresh food and views from the top of the hill.  I don’t think they have a website but check out Trip Advisor for reviews and pictures.  IMO, it’s the best way to spend the day other than the beach.

Any chance you can get them to reconsider?  We have been to Roatan at least once a year for 15 years.  Last year we spent 8 days at a resort on West Bay.  No sand flea bites!  I am normally the one who gets bug bites head to toe - but have had no issues in Roatan.  I didn't even use bug spray.  West Bay has some of the clearest, most beautiful water and incredible snorkeling right from the shore - shame to miss it. 

• 2 weeks later...

When we were there, we did a visit to the Cameo Factory, the rum cake factory, and the chocolate factory.  The chocolate factory had quite a few steps, but my wife who has limited mobility was able to make it up and we thought the tour was very informative.  Here is a short video