Forgot part of elegant outfit - what to do?

JMKreno

I am stressing and feel terrible. I had a nice pair of slacks I had for elegant night along with some button down shirts and nice dress shoes. However, I forgot the slacks at home and I feel terrible as my wife and kids have outfits they brought. I do have a nice pair of darker jeans and nice belt... And yes I know people hate jeans on elegant night, but I don't want my family or myself, if possible, to miss out because of me and we are pretty firm on eating as a family. What should I do?? I really want to go. Will carnival deny me if I try going in with these darker jeans, nice belt, nice shoes, and nice button down/polo? It's very much business casual style. We are leaving today, no time to get replacement. 

Thanks

26 minutes ago, momof3cruisers said:

No they won’t. Wear the jeans. You’ll be dressed nicer than many other people.

I agree. Wear the jeans with a nice shirt and you'll be fine. Some people dress very informal....like what they wore all day on the ship. 

If you have a port stop before the first elegant night, go shopping.

I tried on my tux the first night to make sure it fit. Realized I had brought 2 left shoes. Fortunately, our first port had a Payless shoes in the port area. Problem solved.

You are going on an incredible, wonderful journey, that you will cherish for years. This cruise is for YOU, not what others might perceive of you. Enjoy yourself, be yourself and to heck with the others. 

• Like 1

I'm with the group on this one. Wear your nice jeans. 🙂🙂

Honestly, you will be the only person who is aware of this non-existent "problem".  I mean that in the nicest way. When you get into the MDR , look around, really look and you will realize you had nothing to worry about!  

Keep having  a wonderful time!!

Bobbi

Edited by Markmom18

2 hours ago, Midwestgal said:

You don’t need to explain anything to anyone !

Wear your jeans and enjoy your cruise, it’s doesn’t matter. 

2 hours ago, pjhootch said:

No one will stop you and it will be fine. Do not worry or feel self conscious.  Just enjoy the meal.  

If you're referring to my comment, what I meant was, if the MDR host or maitre' d happens to stop the OP, he can explain what happened. Believe it or not, there have been instances when people got turned away. It's not likely to happen with what the OP described he'd wear, but that's why I said IF they stop him, he can just explain that he forgot the outfit he meant to wear.

• Like 2

Wear the jeans, our last cruise a gal showed up on elegant night in sweats, flip flops (beach kind) and a hoodie, looked like she hadn't bathed in days, and a group of drunk gals came in, one had cut off jean shorts, she kept standing up digging her shorts out of her private area, (gross), puked in her napkin a few times, kept falling all over trying to get out to go to the ladies room. Carnival doesn't care how disgusting they are, you will look like a nice, tidy cruiser. I know what you mean, I feel as though I should "fit in" respect for others, your jeans will be fine. And you will see others in jeans, hope you do not witness the slobs we have had to endure over the yrs. Enjoy your dinner!

• Haha 1

Echo what the others have said.  You will be fine.  I just want to say I think it's very commendable that you are actually concerned enough to ask whether your attire would be appropriate.  Bravo to you and have a great cruise! 

Invited to the Captain's table on Princess and of course had one of my tuxes packed for the occasion.  Unfortunately the pants were not part of the ensemble.  Wore jeans to dinner and not a word was said.  Met the captain later in the theater and we both joked about it.

18 hours ago, JMKreno said:

I am stressing and feel terrible. I had a nice pair of slacks I had for elegant night along with some button down shirts and nice dress shoes. However, I forgot the slacks at home and I feel terrible as my wife and kids have outfits they brought. I do have a nice pair of darker jeans and nice belt... And yes I know people hate jeans on elegant night, but I don't want my family or myself, if possible, to miss out because of me and we are pretty firm on eating as a family. What should I do?? I really want to go. Will carnival deny me if I try going in with these darker jeans, nice belt, nice shoes, and nice button down/polo? It's very much business casual style. We are leaving today, no time to get replacement. 

Thanks

There is ZERO enforcement of dress code on Carnival, absolutely NONE

4 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

There is ZERO enforcement of dress code on Carnival, absolutely NONE

While I may agree with the sense of this post, it's not strictly true. On our last cruise a woman was trying to be seated in the MDR on elegant night and the hostess explained that her tube top and daisy dukes shorts were not acceptable. She didn't fuss, just walked away with her partner. So it does happen, just not terribly frequently or with any consistency!

22 minutes ago, Shaded Lady said:

While I may agree with the sense of this post, it's not strictly true. On our last cruise a woman was trying to be seated in the MDR on elegant night and the hostess explained that her tube top and daisy dukes shorts were not acceptable. She didn't fuss, just walked away with her partner. So it does happen, just not terribly frequently or with any consistency!

Plenty of that 2 nights ago on Elegant Night.  And that was "midpack".  Yes, a lot of people WERE dressed up, but many were not.  Zero enforcement.