LIVE! Dragon OfTheSeas and the Snowbird Migration from Quebec to FLL Oct 7-20, 2019

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

You need to take a pic out a deck 2 or 3 window.

We are deck 7 so I do not have access to those windows.  . . . but, that would be something. I am sure the waves are crashing higher than those windows. 

Here is a view off our balcony.  The spray is reaching us. [actually higher than our balcony]  The rain has stopped, yet I think the wind is getting stronger. 

20191017_075127.thumb.jpg.bff6ebbee4456b7d7c947a3c40f3e706.jpg

These are from deck 4.  The outside is closed so they are through the glass speckled with spray. 

20191017_080146.thumb.jpg.8906efa483be999a8ec2cce9f8f3a80b.jpg

20191017_080148.thumb.jpg.3bc00b25f5b8cb3c433a2ed84829c28a.jpg

7 minutes ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

We are deck 7 so I do not have access to those windows.

The MDR deck 3 windows should be reachable, you know, while you are having your Tutti salad for lunch.

Edited by Biker19

On a positive note--last night they put out a chocolate buffet for dessert in the windjammer.  We ate in the main dining room and went up there for dessert.  

Chocolate fondue

20191016_201647.thumb.jpg.f01a971f17c1c08f2677ef216ed917f3.jpg

An éclair tower and assorted cupcakes

20191016_201700.thumb.jpg.46c999867f8fdf1e31e8abe56e44ccc9.jpg

I liked that they had crew serving the buffet.  Some decadent cakes.

20191016_201705.thumb.jpg.13029916a1da7927d8adfcb5e66d0f59.jpg

20191016_201714.thumb.jpg.3a5b835f857fa383f91f650baa625a26.jpg

Of course I had to taste a couple of things. I tried to be good.  👼

The Captain has come on the PA to give us an update.  He says we are 95 miles SW of Nantucket. 

The Seas are around 8 meters. I did the conversion and that is 26+ feet.  The wind is 50 to 55 knots. That is around 60 mph. 

He says we have passed the front, but the conditions will remain like this until around 4 pm.  That sounds like a reason to celebrate at happy hour. 😁

28 minutes ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

The Captain has come on the PA to give us an update.  He says we are 95 miles SW of Nantucket. 

The Seas are around 8 meters. I did the conversion and that is 26+ feet.  The wind is 50 to 55 knots. That is around 60 mph. 

He says we have passed the front, but the conditions will remain like this until around 4 pm.  That sounds like a reason to celebrate at happy hour. 😁

Yes, I’d say so! Clink!

We had the Captain's noon briefing.  We are doing 14-15 knots, which is slower than we would without the storm.  He says the closest point of land is Long Island.  The seas will continue as they are until 4 or 5 and we should be able to increase our speed around 8pm or so. 

That makes me wonder if we will arrive in Port Canaveral on time. We do not have an excursion planed there.  Those that are going to Disney would be disappointed. 

We have another sea day so maybe the Adventure can make up the time.

Here is a current picture taken from our balcony on deck 7.  The sun comes out every now and then.  The wind is still very strong. If anything I think it is getting a little rougher.  We have slapped the waves a couple of times recently. [not a very nautical description--but, you know what I mean] :classic_cool:

20191017_115848.thumb.jpg.f08c0e4b8f59355bcbc1f48558fe4778.jpg

edit:  I looked at the map on the TV.  I would say we are parallel to New Jersey.

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas

I remember being on a ship in the theater during rougher seas and hearing that loud slapping sound. Took us all a while to figure out what it was. It was a little worrisome at times.  Hopefully the captain can pick up speed to reach Florida on time for everyone. 

4 hours ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

On a positive note--last night they put out a chocolate buffet for dessert in the windjammer.  We ate in the main dining room and went up there for dessert.  

[pics deleted]

How did you know about the chocolate buffet? Did they put it in the cruise compass or do you just have to find it by accident?

53 minutes ago, lisa6191 said:

How did you know about the chocolate buffet? Did they put it in the cruise compass or do you just have to find it by accident?

It was totally by accident.  We were at the elevator getting ready to go to dinner when someone mentioned it to a friend.  They had just eaten in the Windjammer.  We made the decision to skip dessert in the dining room and check it out. 

It thought when we got there and saw all of the desserts that they should have advertised this.  

It seemed a shame not everyone could try it out.  There was not a very large crowd in the windjammer.  I noticed that some of the same desserts were displayed [and available]  near the tutti salad table in the dining room at lunch.  [not the éclair tower or the fondue]

1 minute ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

It was totally by accident.  We were at the elevator getting ready to go to dinner when someone mentioned it to a friend.  They had just eaten in the Windjammer.  We made the decision to skip dessert in the dining room and check it out. 

It thought when we got there and saw all of the desserts that they should have advertised this.  

It seemed a shame not everyone could try it out.  There was not a very large crowd in the windjammer.  I noticed that some of the same desserts were displayed [and available]  near the tutti salad table in the dining room at lunch.  [not the éclair tower or the fondue]

I wonder if they are afraid of being overwhelmed if they advertise it. It is one of the things my kids definitely want to try, so I guess we will be swinging by the WJ every night to see if it's there. Makes deciding about having dessert after dinner a bit complicated...Oh well there are worse things!

3 hours ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

We had the Captain's noon briefing.  We are doing 14-15 knots, which is slower than we would without the storm.  He says the closest point of land is Long Island.  The seas will continue as they are until 4 or 5 and we should be able to increase our speed around 8pm or so. 

That makes me wonder if we will arrive in Port Canaveral on time. We do not have an excursion planed there.  Those that are going to Disney would be disappointed. 

We have another sea day so maybe the Adventure can make up the time.

Here is a current picture taken from our balcony on deck 7.  The sun comes out every now and then.  The wind is still very strong. If anything I think it is getting a little rougher.  We have slapped the waves a couple of times recently. [not a very nautical description--but, you know what I mean] :classic_cool:

20191017_115848.thumb.jpg.f08c0e4b8f59355bcbc1f48558fe4778.jpg

edit:  I looked at the map on the TV.  I would say we are parallel to New Jersey.

We had ocean spray soak our Deck 9 balcony a few times and watched (on TV) several waves break over the bow and hit the windshield and bow cam!  It’s after 4PM now and we’re still rocking and rolling!

4 hours ago, TimeToGetNauti said:

I remember being on a ship in the theater during rougher seas and hearing that loud slapping sound. Took us all a while to figure out what it was. It was a little worrisome at times.  Hopefully the captain can pick up speed to reach Florida on time for everyone. 

Had a similar experience in the theater during a talk session with the Captain.  It was more like a loud bang than a slap.  You could see that many in the audience were getting nervous.  Someone finally asked if we should be worried.  The Captain and other staff members on the stage were completely unfazed, or at least did a good job of acting that way.  All in a day's work for them.

3 hours ago, pstone1 said:

We had ocean spray soak our Deck 9 balcony a few times and watched (on TV) several waves break over the bow and hit the windshield and bow cam!  It’s after 4PM now and we’re still rocking and rolling!

I noticed the bow cam was all wet.  I did not see the waves crash over the bow. 

It is almost 8 o'clock and it is still rough.  First Van Fleet said it would nice the second half of the day.  Then the Captain said it would improve around 4-5 pm.  Maybe it will stop rocking by bedtime. 

The Cruise Director altered the evening entertainment.  Instead of the singers and dancers doing a production show in this weather they are having the comedian tonight.  

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas

2 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Had a similar experience in the theater during a talk session with the Captain.  It was more like a loud bang than a slap.  

I wasn't really sure how to describe it.  . . . But, if you have ever been in rough weather you know what it is.  

Tonight was formal night in the Main Dining Room.  AKA lobster night.  

I always enjoy the Prime Rib and lobster they serve on this night.  Since this is the anniversary of Royal Caribbean Cruise lines they are serving a special cake on the last formal night of each cruise this year.  [We had this cake on our B2B last spring]

I find it VERY sweet.  YMMV

20191017_193814.thumb.jpg.9ed2fd2eff79f67752050fb27eea325a.jpg

The Captain just announced that we have a medical emergency onboard.  We are headed to Atlantic City [just off shore]  to meet a helicopter to evacuate a guest.  He said he was not sure of the exact location, yet.  However, the evacuation should take place between 9pm and 10pm.

We went to see the Comedian in the Lyric theatre tonight.  When we entered the theatre we saw that the section at the back is reserved. [suites, pinnacles, and the Key]  This has always been the case --no problem. 

So, we went upstairs. There were people holding reserved signs there, too.  We said no problem we will just go over there.  The entire left side of the balcony was empty.  [not a single guest]  He said, oh that is reserved, too.  I said it is within 15 minutes of the show and he said it is reserved until 5 minutes before.  By this time there were at least 30 people standing there looking for seats and he said go ahead and sit down. 

Here is a picture of the seating.  All of the gold seats were reserved.

20191017_202034.thumb.jpg.f9f7e213199e4ea60482f9daaee4577b.jpg

20191017_202039.thumb.jpg.20d015b576b3c96435908175df4463cf.jpg

The Cruise Director, Drew Devine, introduced the Comedian.20191017_203118.thumb.jpg.8606646087d25210d6d507c18638ed6b.jpg

The comedian was very good.  He worked in the motion of the ocean into his routine. 

20191017_203228.thumb.jpg.f3fa5b55f3995ddb1720226c0de62f03.jpg

20191017_203231.thumb.jpg.5f3c20f1aef8e3aa02563c2e4667d3b4.jpg

Just caught up on your great review. We did a similar itinerary on RCL the year that hurricane Sandy hit. We had to overnight in St John and skip Bar Harbor. The cruise ended in NJ and the devastation from Sandy was very apparent.

I love your beautiful pictures of Acadia. You did an amazing job capturing the colors. I especially love the reds. Where I live we don’t see much of that in the fall. Thanks for sharing.

6 hours ago, purduemom1 said:

Just caught up on your great review. We did a similar itinerary on RCL the year that hurricane Sandy hit. We had to overnight in St John and skip Bar Harbor. The cruise ended in NJ and the devastation from Sandy was very apparent.

I love your beautiful pictures of Acadia. You did an amazing job capturing the colors. I especially love the reds. Where I live we don’t see much of that in the fall. Thanks for sharing.

We were actually on a cruise the week before Hurricane Sandy.  We had taken a 7 day to Bermuda from Bayonne, NJ.  We drove to the port after a couple of nights stay in Atlantic City, NJ. 

The next cruise was during the hurricane.  Many of the cars parked at the pier had water damage . . . and some were totaled.  Was your car parked at the pier?

We felt we dodged the bullet and felt sorry for those that were on that cruise.  [I realize many suffered much more damage than a car--not slighting what they went through]

Today looks like a beautiful day.  The ship stopped rocking sometime while we were sleeping.  

20191018_074056.thumb.jpg.8d8733d1bfb1b590523bc020e5eb15da.jpg

Calm seas! 

20191018_074112.thumb.jpg.60856e276429b2729f271d3d084aa4ef.jpg

I have not noticed any other damage from the wind except this canvas cover over the hot tub. 

20191018_074154.thumb.jpg.095b20ecb82be07500ba19407ec207d1.jpg

They do a goo job of lashing everything down to keep it from blowing around. 

20191018_074212.thumb.jpg.0d5d85c14436ab87e929d9bc3fc970d4.jpg

The lifeguard is out bright and early again watching an empty pool.  We have not seen anyone swim, yet. 

20191018_074126.thumb.jpg.e321aa1f96181a86dd5638912f74e3e2.jpg

One of my goals today is to sit out on the pool deck [or solarium] even if I have to wear a sweater. LOL