Turnaround time for Laundry

FlaMariner

What's your experience as to how fast you get your laundry back?

We are packing for a TA and the plan is pack very lite and get unlimited laundry.  Turnaround time is critical to the success for our plan to pack lite!

We usually get it back the next day, but the stated time is "48 hours".  We have also had the unfortunate experience of it taking 3 days to get laundry back.  So I had to wear one of  my husband's t-shirts for a day.  Since you are choosing "unlimited", and timing is critical for your success 🙂  , send out every day.

• Like 1

We were very impressed with the unlimited laundry service on our January Zuiderdam cruise.   When sent out in the eve, it was always back before 5 the next day, and sometimes by 10 AM the next day.   You can send it out morning AND eve, if you'd like   :-)

I send laundry in the evening, before evening turndown. I've had laundry back as early as the next morning, to as long as three full days later. 
The usual time frame is later the next day. 

26 minutes ago, Samanthac25 said:

Im new to HAL, can someone tell me if the laundry service includes pressing or if that’s an option to add extra? My only complaint about cruising is my wrinkled clothes and not being able to iron them 😩

When you send clothes to be washed/dried, they are also ironed, as appropriate. 
There is also a separate ironing only package, but it's not necessary if all you plan to do is send out for everything. 

47 minutes ago, Samanthac25 said:

Im new to HAL, can someone tell me if the laundry service includes pressing or if that’s an option to add extra? My only complaint about cruising is my wrinkled clothes and not being able to iron them 😩

You can definitely request pressing only.  We send all of my husband's dress shirts out on embarkation day to be pressed and they have always come back the next day, wrinkle free and on hangars.  This prevents us worrying about wrinkles when packing.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the quick replies!

Our plan is to bring onboard all dirty clothes (after 5 days in Florence) and quickly bag them up and send them out......So thinking  if I turned them in the evening of embarkation (Day 1), I should expect them back by day 2 at the earliest and day 4 at the latest.....Need to toss in more underwear!

Any experience with laundry turnaround on day 1/embarkation day?

11 minutes ago, FlaMariner said:

Any experience with laundry turnaround on day 1/embarkation day?

In my experience, laundry sent the first day comes back faster than laundry sent later in the same cruise. 

I don't know if that's because people haven't unpacked, or at least haven't unpacked much in the way of dirty clothes, or if it's because people think they can't send laundry the first day, or what the reason is. But there's no hold up in getting it done the first day. 

2 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

On thing we do is to send out whites one day and colors another.  Seems to work better that way - once our whites came back all grey!

I have sent out two bags at the same time, one with white/light, and another with jeans and dark socks. Just ask the room steward for a second bag.

1 hour ago, JeffElizabeth said:

We have always had a good turnaround time but on the Amsterdam in September they weren't doing a good job getting stains out. 

We noticed the same thing - on Amsterdam in Sept - not very good laundry on two occasions.  

Laundry turnaround time on the Westerdam in June 2019 was 7 hours when turned in during the morning Room Steward cleaning.  Evening turn-in had my laundry delivered by the Room Steward during morning cleaning.  In hundreds of laundry loads, I have never waited longer than 24 hours.  Of course anomalies do occur.

We use the unlimited bag service. We set the bag out every morning when my husband wakes up. About half the time it's back around 5pm. At least 80% of the time it's back by turndown service. We've never had it return later than the following day around noon. But the promise remains "48 hour" turnaround. At a minimum, you'd need clothing for 4 full days to be safe. Note that the chances of it being slow go up significantly at the end. And always check your laundry on return. If there's an error, report it immediately. My husband was once missing and item and it got returned within the hour. Another time we had ended up with someone else's shirt and gave it back so it could find it's way home (every item has a numbered tag stuck to it, so they just have check their database to return it). But that's two errors out of daily laundry on 4 cruises. 

Whites will tend to get a little dingy. I don't bring anything that if it gets ruined by going through the dryer I would be absolutely devastated about. On the plus side, all your wrinkle-prone items will all come back well-pressed and hanging! 

I ran into someone who was told that the turn around was 24 hours by the front desk and she was a bit upset.  I assured her that was normally not the case - more like 24 hours - and indeeed it was 24 hours throughout the cruise.  I think the 48 hour is the "standard" answer so that they are "covered" if things run late.

So even though you have paid for each day $7 or $9 you can't really send out anything the last full day?  Also, we are getting off a day early (Friday) so I am thinking  I don't even want to take a chance on sending anything out on the Thursday.