What are some great wildlife things you’ve seen from a cruise ship?

1 hour ago, Drock20J said:

I love watching flying fish! I have seen a few pods of dolphins, and when we docked in St. Croix there was a beautiful sea turtle hanging around the dock.

I have seen flying fish on a couple of occasions.  They are beautiful...so silvery and ethereal.  🙂

We docked in St. Maarten once and noticed an older gentleman sunning in his birthday suit on the ship next to ours.

Another time we were coming in to St. Thomas and I noticed several men gathered on the starboard side of the ship gazing at something. I walked over to see what had their attention and on a nearby yacht was a woman in her birthday suit doing something X-rated. You see all kind of things on a cruise!

• Haha 1

Orca family (2 adults, one baby) in Glacier Bay swimming alongside the ship.

A grizzly walking the beach in Glacier Bay (the Captain announced it and I thought the ship would list when over 2,000 passengers and numerous crew moved to the starboard side of the Coral Princess).

A puffin watching the ship pass very closely also in Glacier Bay while we were on our balcony.

Flying fish during a trans-Atlantic cruise.

An eagle that looked like it was intent on dive bombing our balcony but turned off at the last moment (while docked in Ketchikan).

A pod of dolphins following our ship when leaving San Pedro while we were on our aft suite balcony.  They followed us for 1/2 hour or more.

Two great excursions from a ship:  King Penguins at Volunteer Point (Falkland Islands) and an entire island of tens of thousand of Magellanic Penguins (Isla Magdalena) off Punta Arenas, Chile.

Edited by capriccio

2 hours ago, jordanaire said:

We docked in St. Maarten once and noticed an older gentleman sunning in his birthday suit on the ship next to ours.

Another time we were coming in to St. Thomas and I noticed several men gathered on the starboard side of the ship gazing at something. I walked over to see what had their attention and on a nearby yacht was a woman in her birthday suit doing something X-rated. You see all kind of things on a cruise!

Nature in all its beauty and ugliness in one.

6 hours ago, gooch47 said:

I can't believe I didn't mention the Galapagos Islands.  Of course, most of the wildlife was seen on the various islands but there was plenty to see from the ship, too.

Yes, plenty of sharks and turtles from the ship.

We've seen many of the things already listed, but 2 occasions stand out in my memory.    One was a massive pod (many hundreds!) of dolphins surrounding the ship leaving Catalina.    The other was somewhere along the West Coast, had just finished dressing for dinner and walked out onto my balcony just in time to see a whale breeching about 50 yards straight out from the ship.    That was spectacular enough, but it stayed right along-side the ship for about 15 minutes, matching our speed.   I didn't hear anyone else out on their balconies, so it felt like it was just me and the whale.   Eventually it gave a great tail slap and disappeared.    

Ah - you reminded me of our last visit to Glacier Bay!  About 6 in the morning (those lovely long days!);  I'm outside at the balcony railing and DH is wondering over just barely awake when we saw our only major whale breech directly off our balcony.  Wowsers - he was awake after that! 

• Like 1

I think I remember the port correctly--Puerto Madryn in Argentina.  Zaandam was docked opposite Europa 2.  A large area of sea water was aft of the pier between where the two ships were docked.  Jellyfish--many of them--appeared and were good sized animals.  Interesting to watch and attracted the attention of the few of us on both of the ships at that time. 

On 10/8/2019 at 12:09 PM, Warm Breezes said:

After 19 cruises I have seen dolphins once sailing into San Juan, a sting ray while at port in Cozumel, and jellyfish as far as the eye could see in the Gulf of Mexico.  That's it.  I keep looking but fail to find more often than not.

Try Antarctica!

Because we dive we see many of the animals mentioned face to face

Mantas feeding

A  40 ' Whale Shark 

Spotted Eagle Ray

Octopus

Thus the wildlife that we like to see from on board a ship is in colder water like these Sea Lions swimming with our ship

Penguins swimming

and jumping on an iceberg

Orca chasing a penguin

A humpback swimming toward our ship

IMG_3779%20-%20Copy_zpsosorktzh.jpg

The end of our tale

IMG_2793%203_zpszdvbjzx0.jpg

IMG_2796_zpscff2zawp.jpg

• Like 1

On 10/5/2019 at 10:25 PM, CruisinginWonderland said:

Being a recent cruise addict convert, but life long ocean lover,  I’m fascinated with any sea wildlife. Anything super exciting?

The flying fish are fun. I’d watch dolphins ALL day. 

The coolest thing we saw though, was pulling into Cabo, we saw a school of 5 or 6 manta rays swimming right along with us for a minute & then go on their way. 

The variety of passengers never cease to amazing me.  Sometimes the most entertainment is siting in the lounge, LOL

Of course the Bears and Dolphins were also treats.  Most of the time I was too busy to be staring for hours out. 

Edited by chipmaster
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

Because we dive we see many of the animals mentioned face to face

Mantas feeding

A  40 ' Whale Shark 

Spotted Eagle Ray

Octopus

Thus the wildlife that we like to see from on board a ship is in colder water like these Sea Lions swimming with our ship

Penguins swimming

and jumping on an iceberg

Orca chasing a penguin

A humpback swimming toward our ship

IMG_3779%20-%20Copy_zpsosorktzh.jpg

The end of our tale

IMG_2793%203_zpszdvbjzx0.jpg

IMG_2796_zpscff2zawp.jpg

Wonderful collection , thanks again.