Viking Ocean champagne

zitsky

19 minutes ago, Flashman181 said:

I note in FAQ that Champagne not included in Silver Spirits Beverage Package? Do you just pay per glass at the time ?

I have paid by the glass for wine $6 glass.  I have not ordered champagne by the glass, because I ordered a bottle for sail away and just opened it yesterday.

Prosecco is $6

Drappier Carte d'Or is $16 (sixteen) a glass

Wine/champagne by the bottle is less 15% if you have SSBP.

I believe that is the 2009 Cristal---that is easily $250 bottle in US.

On VO (April 2019) it was $175/bottle, $148.75 with discount. 

A phenomenal value for this champagne served to you in a restaurant.

58 minutes ago, DarcyWilloughby said:

So if I have the Silver Spirits package and buy a bottle of Champage at reduced cost can everyone at my dinner table drink it? Or is it just for the two of us with the package?

Once you pay for it, what you do with it is up to you.

On 10/8/2019 at 2:23 AM, zitsky said:

I have paid by the glass for wine $6 glass.  I have not ordered champagne by the glass, because I ordered a bottle for sail away and just opened it yesterday.

Prosecco is $6

This illustrates my issue with the wines by the glass offered on Viking Ocean ships.  There are virtually no selections between the $6/glass wines and the $16+ wines (I’ve never seen one).  The $6/glass wines that I have seen on the ships are typically in the $12/bottle range at retails shops where I live.  The Silver Spirits beverage package covers wines by the glass up to $15, but nothing is offered over $6 and below $16.  There are plenty of “better” wines that could be offered in the $7-15/glass range.  It would please me if VO would make some available.

1 hour ago, Liz Masterson said:

Just going to mention here... price is not always indicative of the quality of the bottle. There are some very nice $12 wines out there if you know where to look. Ask your local wine lovers! 

Yes, there are a number of tasty wines in the $12/bottle retail range, like the Noble Vines 667 Pinot Noir we had on our last Viking cruise.  But there are also plenty of nice wines in the $20/bottle range.  But I haven't seen any offered by the glass on VO.

• Thanks 1

On 10/8/2019 at 3:23 AM, zitsky said:

Prosecco is $6

On 10/9/2019 at 10:51 AM, PlanoTim said:

This illustrates my issue with the wines by the glass offered on Viking Ocean ships.  There are virtually no selections between the $6/glass wines and the $16+ wines (I’ve never seen one).  The $6/glass wines that I have seen on the ships are typically in the $12/bottle range at retails shops where I live.  The Silver Spirits beverage package covers wines by the glass up to $15, but nothing is offered over $6 and below $16.  There are plenty of “better” wines that could be offered in the $7-15/glass range.  It would please me if VO would make some available.

If you have the SSBP and you ordered a glass of wine over $15 do you just have to pay the difference or do you have to pay for the entire glass? I saw the SSBP does not include champagne which is the one wine I saw listed over $15/glass so I'm guessing you have to pay for the entire glass...

7 hours ago, prim8keeper said:

If you have the SSBP and you ordered a glass of wine over $15 do you just have to pay the difference or do you have to pay for the entire glass? I saw the SSBP does not include champagne which is the one wine I saw listed over $15/glass so I'm guessing you have to pay for the entire glass...

With SSBP, you pay the full list price for all drinks > $15

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, zitsky said:

Why have the package then?

Vast majority of cocktails are under $15, improved wine selection, discount on wines by the bottle, ability to get wine/beer/cocktail anytime a bar is open (not just while eating lunch or dinner). 

Some people don't drink wine or beer and prefer cocktails. I know there are a lot of Scotch drinkers out there.

Although, the champagne by the glass situation is unfortunate----maybe they could add a Cava. To me that is a much better champagne substitute than Prosecco, plus very inexpensive. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

With SSBP, you pay the full list price for all drinks > $15

16 minutes ago, broker1217 said:

Vast majority of cocktails are under $15, improved wine selection, discount on wines by the bottle, ability to get wine/beer/cocktail anytime a bar is open (not just while eating lunch or dinner). 

Some people don't drink wine or beer and prefer cocktails. I know there are a lot of Scotch drinkers out there.

Although, the champagne by the glass situation is unfortunate----maybe they could add a Cava. To me that is a much better champagne substitute than Prosecco, plus very inexpensive. 

Thank you both for providing additional information! It is very helpful. We are planning for our first VO cruise coming over after sailing Celebrity for many years. On Celebrity with their premium drink package you can pay the difference for any drinks over their $15 limit which is nice since it gives you a lot of flexibility.

I agree broker1217 that the champagne situation is unfortunate. As you pointed out there are plenty of other sparkling wines that are made in the style of champagne that they could offer instead of just Prosecco.

Also be aware that the $15 limit does not apply to for example a double Jack Daniels (2 x $8 = $16). You can order doubles, triples, etc. and still be ok on the SSBP.  To avoid trips back out of the cabin in the evening, I would simply ask for a glass with ice and almost fill the glass with JD and add a splash of water, no problem.

Edited by ropomo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1