Embarkation Lunch on the Sun

harrypotter01

Hi - is the lunch in at the buffet or MDR typically on the Sun during Embarkation?  Anyone remember what they serve in the MDR on the first day for lunch?  We are very excited and looking forward to it.  This will be our first NCL cruise. But, I'm definitely reading a lot of mixed reviews about the food on the ship.  I'm sure the food in the specialty dining rooms is great.  But, I'm hoping the complimentary food is good, too.  Thanks!

10 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

Both the buffet and one of the MDRs will be open. Though the MDR will open later than the buffet. The menu in the MDR will be the same lunch menu they have every day for lunch. 

So sorry - I meant to ask which lunch is better on embarkation day...the  MDR or buffet.  I haven't figured out how to edit my post yet!  Thanks for the response!

3 minutes ago, harrypotter01 said:

So sorry - I meant to ask which lunch is better on embarkation day...the  MDR or buffet.  I haven't figured out how to edit my post yet!  Thanks for the response!

Ah! MDR will not be as crazy, not as crowded. The buffet will have a bit more variety, or at least it seemed that way.

I personally pick anything but buffet on embarkation cuz it's just too busy and the Sun buffet is small. 

I just returned from a 5 day cruise on the Sun and I definitely recommend the MDR over the buffet for lunch. The buffet is very small and very busy during peak hours. On embarkation day the buffet was slammed at lunch but the MDR was quiet and peaceful. We found the food and service to be just fine in the MDR except for the last night. I was a bit weary of the conflicting reviews on the Sun, but by going into it not expecting the newest, greatest ship I was pleasantly surprised. We enjoyed our cruise, loved the Sun and would do it again in a heartbeat. Have a great cruise!

13 hours ago, harrypotter01 said:

Hi - is the lunch in at the buffet or MDR typically on the Sun during Embarkation?  Anyone remember what they serve in the MDR on the first day for lunch?  We are very excited and looking forward to it.  This will be our first NCL cruise. But, I'm definitely reading a lot of mixed reviews about the food on the ship.  I'm sure the food in the specialty dining rooms is great.  But, I'm hoping the complimentary food is good, too.  Thanks!

First off: food is very subjective as we all know and is it good in the MDRs depends on what you call good? I used to tell clients, if you are happy with restaurants like TGI Fridays and Chilis you will be very happy with the food. If you expect Ruth Chris you are going to be disappointed. 

Now as for the Sun, we used to always go to the buffet on embarkation day, but their buffet is a bit small and it can be crowed. No idea what the MDR serves on embarkation day. 

I was on the Sun two weeks ago and had embarkation lunch in the MDR (Deck 5 aft, Seven Seas Dining Room).  The menu will likely vary, and it was not the same one as Post #5 above.  I remember the Philly cheesesteak being on the menu (I'm from there and have had this on NCL before, it's pretty good) but this time I had chicken nachos and a salmon burger, both very good.  Dessert was a key lime something or other, but was not very good. 

I had two Latitude dinners, so I used one for Cagney's (Moderno was the other).  I highly recommend the T-bone steak. And their sea salt caramel cheesecake was one of the best non-chocolate desserts I've ever had on a cruise ship.  Save room if you're so inclined!

8 hours ago, DoctorWhoGirl said:

I just returned from a 5 day cruise on the Sun and I definitely recommend the MDR over the buffet for lunch. The buffet is very small and very busy during peak hours. On embarkation day the buffet was slammed at lunch but the MDR was quiet and peaceful. We found the food and service to be just fine in the MDR except for the last night. I was a bit weary of the conflicting reviews on the Sun, but by going into it not expecting the newest, greatest ship I was pleasantly surprised. We enjoyed our cruise, loved the Sun and would do it again in a heartbeat. Have a great cruise!

Did they still have Moderno open with limited foods for breakfast and lunch?

9 hours ago, newmexicoNita said:

First off: food is very subjective as we all know and is it good in the MDRs depends on what you call good? I used to tell clients, if you are happy with restaurants like TGI Fridays and Chilis you will be very happy with the food. If you expect Ruth Chris you are going to be disappointed. 

Now as for the Sun, we used to always go to the buffet on embarkation day, but their buffet is a bit small and it can be crowed. No idea what the MDR serves on embarkation day. 

Now as for the Sun, we used to always go to the buffet on embarkation day, but their buffet is a bit small and it can be crowed.

Yes the Buffet is small - HOWEVER - go around to the port side aft - the Sports Bar is used as an overflow area and further

forward from that the area is the area used as Moderno for specialty dining. Just gotta know where to go !