Currently on the Harmony

On 10/7/2019 at 2:17 PM, villager70 said:

You are correct that the compass now says formal but it is  a real joke. We were on Harmony for 11 days during the hurricane repo  3 weeks ago and just got off her yesterday going west again for 7 days. Both nights  I have never seen so many shorts, tee shirts and a few ball caps worn  on both formal nights. only saw a couple black tie and some suits and sport coats but mostly  shirt and trousers for men  and ladies slacks and tops. I don't do the tuxedo anymore as mine shrunk in the closet and seldom bring a sportcoat. 

Some people just don't care if they look like slobs. For the pool that's fine, but for dinner on 'formal' night? I get it that some don't want to dress in formal attire, but short, flip flops and ball caps? Just goes to show what kind of crowd Royal is now attracting. 

On 10/7/2019 at 3:22 PM, MrsKC08 said:

Formal or not...hubby and I ALWAYS dress to the occasion. It's one of our favorite things to do on a cruise.

ELI_3363_r.jpg

You two look fantastic and hubby did a great job. Congrats on your weight loss. 

On 10/8/2019 at 10:44 AM, villager70 said:

It's not that I can't get it tailored and we don't make and effort. We  have cruised  six times this year and  have seven more booked including our 50th anniversary 8 day in Jan. making  76 cruises for us. Im with the one I love every day and don't need to  put on my tuxedo to prove it  or try to impress others. If you notice  in my photo I can still wear it.  Matter a fact the last time I  had it on I had  cruisers around me wearing shorts.

If you want to dress  formal or casual you can do so but don't get on these boards with your 7 or 8 posts  and tell people to make and effort. Many cruiser  that sail now don't wear suits or have one and many of our cruisers who FLY  now have such tight luggage restrictions and pricing they leave the dress up home. If it  bothers you   about the dress I can give you a couple lines where it is mandatory for a coat & tie.   

Cruising  the way we want to in Florida

What difference does it make how many posts someone has??? They have to start somewhere just like you did. As for the restrictions, I think that's an excuse imo. Someone paying that much for a cruise can spare a few extra bucks for luggage weight. I'm not talking about the people that dress nice, I'm talking about the slobs.

Edited by ReneeFLL
  • Like 1

On 10/7/2019 at 9:02 AM, mickeygirl78 said:

This is great to hear, I’m boarding this Sunday and also have the unlimited dining. I’d love to hear any feedback on restaurants and menu items. Enjoy your week!

No issues at all with the package.  One thing that I would like to mention is Izumi (non hibachi side) you can order up to $35 per person and anything over is a charge.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Where did you see that information? From the past compass from Harmony's same itinerary,  The first formal night is Night 3 on our sea day.

For our cruise, it was Day 2.  We are currently sailing the Eastern Caribbean and our Day 2 was a sea day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ReneeFLL said:

Some people just don't care if they look like slobs. For the pool that's fine, but for dinner on 'formal' night? I get it that some don't want to dress in formal attire, but short, flip flops and ball caps? Just goes to show what kind of crowd Royal is now attracting.

As do comments like this.  Like I said before, I prefer to focus on enjoying the cruise the way I choose to enjoy it, and not on how others choose to enjoy their cruise.  Apparently some choose to enjoy their cruise by being judgmental of other people who they know nothing about.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, MonikaJ42 said:

For our cruise, it was Day 2.  We are currently sailing the Eastern Caribbean and our Day 2 was a sea day.

The difference is your itinerary is different than ours on our sailing this October 13th. That's where the mix up is. The Oct. 13th sailing goes to Coco Cay, St. Thomas and St. Maarten.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ReneeFLL said:

. . . I'm not talking about the people that dress nice, I'm talking about the slobs.

I would much prefer to share a cruise with a "slob" versus someone who is judgemental and rude and worries what other wear or look like

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 10/7/2019 at 7:17 PM, villager70 said:

I think it's just a  unwritten company policy now  and none of the powers to be want to confront anyone and get a negative report.

This is the reason why for some, standards have slipped!

This is the reason why teens and younger kids are seen in the Solariums!

This is the reason why loungers get reserved (although they sometimes remedy that!)

This is the reason why people aren't met at the door of the restaurants and asked to use hand cleanser (whether it works or not!)

This is the reason why people fall out ALL THE TIME on here!

The REASON why all this is happening is because the cruise lines are changing! They're after as much money as possible and in my opinion they're actively targeting millennials (who for 'some', rules aren't as important as others) when as opposed to lets say the more 'traditional' passengers!

I used to love coming on here and researching my next cruise or catching up with what's new, but all the time, I read more and more threads that end up with people falling out!

Life on board ship is so much fun, people are so happy - why can't we all be like that on here too?

Happy Cruising EVERYONE!

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, ZiggaZagga17 said:

This is the reason why for some, standards have slipped!

This is the reason why teens and younger kids are seen in the Solariums!

This is the reason why loungers get reserved (although they sometimes remedy that!)

This is the reason why people aren't met at the door of the restaurants and asked to use hand cleanser (whether it works or not!)

This is the reason why people fall out ALL THE TIME on here!

The REASON why all this is happening is because the cruise lines are changing! They're after as much money as possible and in my opinion they're actively targeting millennials (who for 'some', rules aren't as important as others) when as opposed to lets say the more 'traditional' passengers!

I used to love coming on here and researching my next cruise or catching up with what's new, but all the time, I read more and more threads that end up with people falling out!

Life on board ship is so much fun, people are so happy - why can't we all be like that on here too?

Happy Cruising EVERYONE!

While I appreciate the sentiment in the final portion of your post, I also find it to be completely contradictory to everything that came before it.  Why bring up millennials at all?  I highly doubt previous generations are immune from the scorn of some on this topic.  One generation always complains about those that follow.  Let's not forget all the things that were said about the baby boomers during the 60's and 70's, and I quite distinctly remember all the ridiculous things that were said about my own generation (gen X) during the 80's and 90's.  These comments are ageism and I personally don't think they should be tolerated.  They do nothing but attempt to paint a very broad group of people with the same brush based upon a factor those people have no control over.  And I don't care that you couched your comments by saying "some."  Try replacing the word millennials in your statement with some other form of classification, such as gender, race or religion, and see how it sounds.

"...they're actively targeting _______ (who for 'some', rules aren't as important as others) when as opposed to lets say the more 'traditional' passengers!"

I'll leave it to you to come up with some other words to try in that sentence.

Edited by parsec0298
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, parsec0298 said:

While I appreciate the sentiment in the final portion of your post, I also find it to be completely contradictory to everything that came before it.  Why bring up millennials at all?  I highly doubt previous generations are immune from the scorn of some on this topic.  One generation always complains about those that follow.  Let's not forget all the things that were said about the baby boomers during the 60's and 70's, and I quite distinctly remember all the ridiculous things that were said about my own generation (gen X) during the 80's and 90's.  These comments are ageism and I personally don't think they should be tolerated.  They do nothing but attempt to paint a very broad group of people with the same brush based upon a factor those people have no control over.  And I don't care that you couched your comments by saying "some."  Try replacing the word millennials in your statement with some other form of classification, such as gender, race or religion, and see how it sounds.

"...they're actively targeting _______ (who for 'some', rules en't as important as others) when as opposed to lets say the more 'traditional' passengers!"

I'll leave it to you to come up with some other words to try in that sentence.

I personally don't see why you have an issue with the term I used to describe young people, young families and their children and anyone who feels like they may or may not belong to that 'tag line'

They're known for their 'social liberalism' and in particular being harmonious with a very 'free to do as we please' look at life. Personally I admire that trait and again I see it as a plus, and have noticed the effects of this alter the day to day life on board ship over the last few years too! 

I don't have an issue with it, maybe it's an age thing on my part - maybe it's not! or maybe I wish I belonged in that 'group' 

If you really want a good read - go read the thread I started about metal drinking straws in the 'cruise question' section - that makes very interesting reading as people try to ram down peoples throats their respective opinions on the subject of plastic!

Opinions are like a certain piece of the anatomy - we all have one!

• Like 1

I have to preface my comment by stating, I do not wear formal wear on formal nights.  No one I travel with does either.  We do dress nicely every night and don't wear basketball shorts, tee shirts, ball hats, flip flops, bathing suit cover ups etc any night, much less formal nights.

Ok, I am also a kind of laid back person and it took a while to get there.  I have no respect for those who come into the dining room dressed like they got out of bed, came from the pool etc.  None of this has anything to do with how I enjoy my dinner though.

I believe the reason the "suggestions" are not enforced, is that no one in headquarters backs up the Maitre d' or anyone else trying to enforce the no shorts at dinner "rule."  I also believe, and perhaps this is more important, the person who has been "told go to the buffet if you want to wear your shorts and tee shirt" on a formal night, most likely will become incensed and remove all tips.

In that case, RC might have to make up some tips as well as have to handle a complaint to Mr. Baylee's office.  It is far easier to let things slide as the cruisers of today have far different ideas as to protocol and how things should be done.  

I also believe, not that this topic is really for here, but now that almost anyone/everyone can cruise, there are many changes including the quality of food.  I believe the cruise lines feel that many passengers don't know high quality, so why provide that in the included dinners?  I base this on how many reviews I have read where the food was fantastic and there are far more of these than the food was meh or bad. Is the food downgraded based on how customers act on cruises? (My guess is that is not the case, but still a thought.)

I love cruising, don't complain on cruises unless something is going to be done about it, and feel most enjoy their cruises.  I am looking forward to the next 3 cruises I have booked, and hope to book several more.

9 hours ago, Maverick61 said:

I would much prefer to share a cruise with a "slob" versus someone who is judgemental and rude and worries what other wear or look like

Like I said it goes to show what type of crowd RC is attracting. I would rather be judgemental than a slob any day. I will continue to dress by the suggested dress codes and have respect for others that don't look like slobs. If others don't want to do so that's up to them.

4 hours ago, katiel53 said:

.........Ok, I am also a kind of laid back person and it took a while to get there.  I have no respect for those who come into the dining room dressed like they got out of bed, came from the pool etc.  None of this has anything to do with how I enjoy my dinner though........

This is the type of people that I refer to as slobs. They have no respect for others. It's all about me, me, me and what I want generation.

I'm not saying people have to wear formal attire, but good grief at least wear something decent and appropriate for the venue.

Edited by ReneeFLL

10 hours ago, parsec0298 said:

As do comments like this.  Like I said before, I prefer to focus on enjoying the cruise the way I choose to enjoy it, and not on how others choose to enjoy their cruise.  Apparently some choose to enjoy their cruise by being judgmental of other people who they know nothing about.

The way people dress has nothing to do with how I enjoy my cruise. It doesn't matter if I know them or not. They could be very nice people but the way they dress for certain venues and occasions tells me all I need to know about them.

Edited by ReneeFLL

On 10/6/2019 at 11:32 PM, MonikaJ42 said:

Hi everyone! Currently on the Harmony and just wanted to share some observations for day 1.

Harmony is a gorgeous ship! Clean and just huge! It’s a bit overwhelming but we are loving it so far.

Ship is at max capacity and you totally notice especially at the elevators.  

We have the ultimate dining package and ate at Chops for lunch and 150 Central Park for dinner. Absolutely no issues ordering 2 entrees in both restaurants.  The waiters actually encouraged it as we wanted to try different dishes.  No extra charge.  Wonderful experience so far with the package.

Formal nights are back! Just received our day 2 cruise compass and dress code is formal.  

Happy Cruising everyone!

It's great to know that you can order 2 entrees if you want. It's to bad that some ships do things differently than what's posted. Typical Royal, always inconsistent.

Edited by ReneeFLL

What does "falling out" mean? As in "people fall out all the time". I tried to think of different words, maybe ill? But that doesn't really make sense in the context. 

Edited by Coralc

2 hours ago, Coralc said:

What does "falling out" mean? As in "people fall out all the time". I tried to think of different words, maybe ill? But that doesn't really make sense in the context. 

It's a broad statement that covers everything from disagreeing with something to full out arguing about it.

I guess it then lends itself to breakup of friendships and the like in a more extreme way!

14 hours ago, katiel53 said:

I believe the reason the "suggestions" are not enforced, is that no one in headquarters backs up the Maitre d' or anyone else trying to enforce the no shorts at dinner "rule."  I also believe, and perhaps this is more important, the person who has been "told go to the buffet if you want to wear your shorts and tee shirt" on a formal night, most likely will become incensed and remove all tips.

Actually, the way society is these days, I think it's more about not "offending" anyone because so many people get their panties in a bind these days and don't think they have to follow any type of "Suggestion" or standard. I agree that no one should be MADE to wear what they don't want, and Royal isn't saying that by any means...never have. BUT, there are plenty of other dining venues around the ships for people to go if they want to wear short, bathing suits, pajamas (yes, I've seen it many times). The dining room, especially on formal nights...is not the place for that type of attire.

• Like 1

I have a question! Would you happen to know or could you maybe find out if you can get a milkshake at Johnny Rockets at no charge with the Refreshment Package (it's the one for Virgin Drinks, specialty coffee & teas, fountain soda and bottled waters).  I have heard you can and heard you can not! Since you are LIVE, wondered if you'd be so kind as to confirm one way or the other! Thanks and have a GREAT cruise!!

2 minutes ago, mistyann said:

I have heard you can and heard you can not!

I don't think anyone has reported that you can't get it, the only variable is whether they make you also buy a meal with it, that's what varies with ship, sailing or servant.

31 minutes ago, mistyann said:

I have a question! Would you happen to know or could you maybe find out if you can get a milkshake at Johnny Rockets at no charge with the Refreshment Package (it's the one for Virgin Drinks, specialty coffee & teas, fountain soda and bottled waters).  I have heard you can and heard you can not! Since you are LIVE, wondered if you'd be so kind as to confirm one way or the other! Thanks and have a GREAT cruise!!

From our past experience, you cannot get milkshakes at JR with the refreshment package.

Edited by MrsKC08