What Broadway play would you want to see on rccl?

2 hours ago, garnetpalmetto said:

To each their own. I find only two of the items on your list appealing. I'd much rather see any of the musicals onboard, for instance, than take part in theme parties or be subjected to the pianists at Schooner or the guitarists in the pubs.

I only found one.I would much rather see a Broadway show than even that one.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CruisinCrow said:

When we saw Grease on Indy, a lot of people complained about the "adult themes".  I can't imagine how much they'd complain about Chicago. :classic_smile:  But I'd love to see Chicago. 

I wonder what they'd think about Saturday Night Fever. I haven't seem the stage version but I'm sure it was toned down from the movie. Especially since the original ovie was R-Rated before it itself was toned down to PG-13 to appeal to wider audiences.

1 hour ago, George C said:

My brother directed hair in Queens in 1980 and one of the people who wrote the play showed up and enjoyed it. I have also seen  It on broadway and a couple of times in Dallas.

I saw Hair only once but my wife saw it twice.I heard that a new version may be coming to Broadway within the next few years.

4 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

I wonder what they'd think about Saturday Night Fever. I haven't seem the stage version but I'm sure it was toned down from the movie. Especially since the original ovie was R-Rated before it itself was toned down to PG-13 to appeal to wider audiences.

It's already on Liberty.

5 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

A friend of mine was an avid extra in the movie.There is an actor on Broadway,I cannot recall his name but every time I see him in a musical on Broadway,no matter which one it is I think of Travolta in that movie role.

8 minutes ago, garnetpalmetto said:

It's already on Liberty.

I know. I was on Liberty last Nov. but skipped the play to do all of the other things on my list (except poolside movie).

Funny thing is that I live about an hour outside NYC and could go to Broadway plays anytime I want......and yet, I seldom do. Go Figure!

1 minute ago, HBE4 said:

I know. I was on Liberty last Nov. but skipped the play to do all of the other things on my list (except poolside movie).

Funny thing is that I live about an hour outside NYC and could go to Broadway plays anytime I want......and yet, I seldom do. Go Figure!

Apologies, as I misunderstood what you were saying earlier then! I thought you were wondering if Royal would be interested in doing Saturday Night Fever. And perhaps theater isn't your cup of tea. That's all well and good. Again, different strokes for different folks.

6 minutes ago, garnetpalmetto said:

Apologies, as I misunderstood what you were saying earlier then! I thought you were wondering if Royal would be interested in doing Saturday Night Fever. And perhaps theater isn't your cup of tea. That's all well and good. Again, different strokes for different folks.

No need to apologize. My post probably wasn't that clear.

The irony is that I love going to the theater. But I guess since I can do it anytime, it's always on my "Do it next weekend" list for about 6 months.  I usually try to catch 2 shows a year but vow to do it more often.

2 hours ago, CruisinCrow said:

When we saw Grease on Indy, a lot of people complained about the "adult themes".  I can't imagine how much they'd complain about Chicago. :classic_smile:  But I'd love to see Chicago. 

The knock on Chicago was that it was too long besides the obvious Bob Fosse stuff. 

1 hour ago, HBE4 said:

Me too so I get it. Eventually I will make it to the Statue of Liberty but I will probably be retired and living in Florida by then.

I love Les Mis, and have seen it multiple times including a week after it opened in London. However, I get weepy when the orchestra plays the overture, and when it’s over, walk out with tears in my eyes.

I need happy entertainment on cruises.

Back before a lot of you were born, Norway had Broadway shows and did a great job. 

I remember Meet Me in St Louis, an old musical with wonderful music, and Barnum about the showman. It pretty much followed the same story line as the Hugh Jackman movie. We were rocking and rolling in a pretty big storm, watching an actor walk the tightrope without falling. 

Both were light, happy shows, not too long, and the theater was packed. 

Chicago may be a little long, but it captures the interest of the audience. That should be the benchmark used to decide on shows. 

Maybe instead of a ship having the same show forever, they could move them around every six months. That would probably cause complaints, too. 

47 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Me too so I get it. Eventually I will make it to the Statue of Liberty but I will probably be retired and living in Florida by then.

I'm 55 and went to the Statue Of Liberty once. Kinda. I made it to the island but there was a 2 1/2 hour long line to get into the actual Statue and its was mid-July, 98 degrees, 4000% humidity and not a cloud in the sky.  So I said to myself, just come back on a cooler, less crowded day.

That was 30 years ago.

13 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

Maybe instead of a ship having the same show forever, they could move them around every six months. That would probably cause complaints, too. 

That's actually a great idea. But I think the production cost of tearing down & rebuilding the stage make it prohibitive.

• Like 1

For an older show, I think "Once" would be a great show for them to do.  Another excellent one that I think would work well aboard a ship that is a newer show is "Dear Evan Hansen".

I saw another poster mention "Come From Away" which is a favorite of mine.  It has broad based appeal for sure, but I'm not sure cruisers would be happy about the minimalist set.  That would be my main hesitation about that one.  It's one though that I would go see again for sure, though.  Already saw it on Broadway and in the traveling show when it came to my home town.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, The Sunset Glow said:

Yes it is beautiful here. I am originally from Newfoundland where come from away is based - another beautiful place with the friendliest people 😊

I have been there too.Come From Away is something that everyone on the planet should see.

I was supposed to be in the World Trade Center On 9/11 .My friend who I was supposed to meet that day died.By a quirk of fate my business meeting was postponed.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kathy884 said:

For an older show, I think "Once" would be a great show for them to do.  Another excellent one that I think would work well aboard a ship that is a newer show is "Dear Evan Hansen".

I saw another poster mention "Come From Away" which is a favorite of mine.  It has broad based appeal for sure, but I'm not sure cruisers would be happy about the minimalist set.  That would be my main hesitation about that one.  It's one though that I would go see again for sure, though.  Already saw it on Broadway and in the traveling show when it came to my home town.  

Once is a great choice as well.I have not met too many people who that show.I saw it twice.

• Like 1

Just now, lenquixote66 said:

Once is a great choice as well.I have not met too many people who that show.I saw it twice.

We went to see it twice too and would see it again.  I think it would work well on a ship too.

29 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

I'm 55 and went to the Statue Of Liberty once. Kinda. I made it to the island but there was a 2 1/2 hour long line to get into the actual Statue and its was mid-July, 98 degrees, 4000% humidity and not a cloud in the sky.  So I said to myself, just come back on a cooler, less crowded day.

That was 30 years ago.

I lived in Brooklyn nearly all my life.I went to the Statue of Liberty when I was 6 again when I was in my early 20’s and in 2007.I find that as a native New Yorker I probably have been to less of the tourist sites than the majority of people vacationing in NYC.

Just now, lenquixote66 said:

Did you see the movie ?

Yes.  I loved the move, but thought the musical was much better.  Usually I prefer whichever came out first (the original), but not in this case.  I thought they did a wonderful job with this show. 

Just some more comments too on "Come From Away" -- adding to the love for that show.  We saw "Hamilton" and "Come From Away" the same weekend in New York.  "Hamilton" is an amazing piece of work, but my whole family loved and preferred, "Come From Away".  I'm also one who is thinking given the size of the ship theatre and expensive of shows, that a smaller show is going to work better on one of the RCCL ships. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, kathy884 said:

Agree have seen once a couple of times small set great songs

• Like 1