Princess transfer Rome/ Euros needed?

Cruiserkenn

I am planning to take the Princess transfer, to the ship, when arriving in Rome via American Airlines.  Will I need Euros to tip the bus driver?

And, if worse comes to worse, and I can't find the Princess transfer, will I need Euros to take a cab to the ship?  Or will the cab take a credit card?  Visa?

Thanks in advance for your insight concerning the need for Euros.

1 hour ago, Cruiserkenn said:

I am planning to take the Princess transfer, to the ship, when arriving in Rome via American Airlines.  Will I need Euros to tip the bus driver?

And, if worse comes to worse, and I can't find the Princess transfer, will I need Euros to take a cab to the ship?  Or will the cab take a credit card?  Visa?

In Rome tipping isn't normal for taxi drivers. My thinking is that bus drivers would be the same. But, if the bus driver is handling your luggage a few Euros maybe, if you have them. I would not use any other currency than Euros.

Credit cards are widely accepted in Europe. Speak with the hotel desk. 

9 hours ago, Cruiserkenn said:

It is a tad more than a 1 hour drive to the port.

Why wouldn't you be able to find the Princess transfer?

Euros would be needed. They don't take any other cash.

You should pre book your transfer as it quite away to the port from the airport, last time we sailed from Civit we got the train from the airport as we arrived early the day before and where in no rush. Very easy if you like to do things independently and very cheap. In the past we have always booked a driver, usually around €120 

Last year I had a taxi booked and then with a flight delay and unable to find the driver,a flat battery on my mobile (don't play to many games whilst waiting for a plane) I took the Princess transfer.Lots of reps touting for business,just asked if I could grab the coach,of course madam! The journey was charged to my on board account.Didn't give a tip.Found the return taxi with ease!!!😀

15 hours ago, 4cats4me said:

You can also reserve through Rome Cabs 

or romeinlimo 

Beats taking a bus. 

We used Rome Cabs. Very satisfied with their service, specially when our ship was late returning to Civitavecchia under pouring rain and we had a flight to catch back to the USA.

Rome Cabs tracked our ship’s delay, and when we finally exited the terminal, our driver was waiting for us with umbrellas for the whole family as well as towels to help us dry off. We boarded our car and we were on our way to the airport within 2-3 minutes of meeting our driver, which was crucial to make our flight. If we’d had to wait for a bus load of people before heading to the airport, most likely we would’ve never made our flight. 

we use romecabs.com.... we buy euro at home and pay the car service in euros.... otherwise, ref tipping I tip in US$,  (except for romecabs.com)   Folks who work in travel industry... generally are a accustom to getting foreign currencies.... 

If you are on a cruise including many Mediterranean ports you will want to have Euros with you, but remember the lowest denomination paper money is 5 Euro.  2 Euro and less are coins.

I wouldn't stress about missing the transfer, as there will be Princess representatives with clipboards around. They will have your name to be checked off, so will be expecting you.  They meet you once you have cleared Customs.

When we arrived very early in the day (7:50 AM) in Rome's airport they gathered us up in one area, then when everyone was there brought us to the bus.   Because it was really early, the bus driver took us on a bus tour of Rome, showing us many of the sights, but with no stops ( I recall one bathroom break outside the city ).  This was a really nice surprise, and I have no idea whether others have had a similar experience - at the time it sounded like this was common.   We arrived at the ship for boarding in time for lunch, having taken some great photos of Rome from the bus.

There was no extra charge for the bus tour, but I recall giving a tip for this surprise service.

I imagine later arrivals would just go straight to the port, Civitavecchia.    The expectation, according to Princess, was "Travel time from the airport to the pier is approximately 75 minutes, subject to traffic conditions."

Edited by Times Prince

3 hours ago, pris993 said:

we use romecabs.com.... we buy euro at home and pay the car service in euros.... otherwise, ref tipping I tip in US$,  (except for romecabs.com)   Folks who work in travel industry... generally are a accustom to getting foreign currencies.... 

Next time I board in port everglades I'll tip in £s. How will that go down. 

5 hours ago, pris993 said:

I disagree. Especially in Europe.

I also disagree with the assertion that US money is good for tips in Europe.   Conversion by the recipient is inconvenient, and is subject to unfavorable rates, and may require the accumulation of enough money to make it worthwhile.   Euros can support the recipient and their family immediately.

Moreover the people receiving a gratuity really appreciate it in their local currency.  I've seen the smiles on their faces when they have seen my tip in Euros.

Lastly keep in mind that most Europeans are paid a living wage, so the 18-20% tips given in the US are excessive in Europe.

3 hours ago, Times Prince said:

I also disagree with the assertion that US money is good for tips in Europe.   Conversion by the recipient is inconvenient, and is subject to unfavorable rates, and may require the accumulation of enough money to make it worthwhile.   Euros can support the recipient and their family immediately.

I agree with this,, tip in Euros.

We used RomeCabs to go from our hotel in Rome to the port.  130 Euro fare, which RomeCabs told us had to be paid in cash, in Euros.  Driver was wonderful, he was early for our pickup, he helped load the bags at the hotel and he unloaded them at the terminal.  I paid him 150 Euros, which the driver was thrilled with. 

20 minutes ago, Mike45LC said:

RomeCabs told us had to be paid in cash, in Euros.

Rome Cabs will accept credit card payments in advance using PayPal. That’s what we did at the time we confirmed our reservation.

All of our transfers were prepaid including tips which simplified things a bit. All of our drivers (airport-hotel, hotel-port, port-hotel), were excellent, courteous, and very helpful with our luggage. Even if tips aren’t as customary as in the US, we considered that they were well deserved. 

9 hours ago, antsp said:

Next time I board in port everglades I'll tip in £s. How will that go down. 

Do as you please, often the BP has more value than the US$.    We never had anyone refuse a US$ tips in Europe or the Middle East, especially taxi drivers, hotel staff... we once had a bus driver in Paris ... who loved some western cowboy boots my husband had - we had an extra brand new pair, which he wanted to buy and the driver had currencies from all over that he gave my husband.   My husband originally from France had no problem taking the various currencies and converting them.  

7 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

I disagree. Especially in Europe.

Not my experience and I have been all over Europe.... my husband was born there... we have family there, even in small shops with a big tourist trade, I have found when asked will take US$... they convert currencies to their benefit...they are smart.   I carry a limited amount of euros, if I can use us$ I do... they give change in euros..  works for me.    I was in Paris October 2018... had no problem. 

1 minute ago, pris993 said:

Not my experience and I have been all over Europe.... my husband was born there... we have family there, even in small shops with a big tourist trade, I have found when asked will take US$... they convert currencies to their benefit...they are smart.   I carry a limited amount of euros, if I can use us$ I do... they give change in euros..  works for me.    I was in Paris October 2018... had no problem. 

We will have to agree to disagree.....

Just now, Cruiserkenn said:

Thanks for the great responses.  I do have the Princess transfer pre-booked.

Today, I ordered Euros, at my bank, just in case.  They will have them for me tomorrow.

Thanks again, all.

Another good way of ordering currency is through the Auto Club.   You can do it on line and it's mailed to you.   You can also return any currency  by mail.   Of course there is a fee involved but  it was easy

11 hours ago, Times Prince said:

Lastly keep in mind that most Europeans are paid a living wage, so the 18-20% tips given in the US are excessive in Europe.

Also keep in mind that if you tip in a non-tipping culture, you are trying to change their culture.

In some countries cab drivers and other providers will sometimes bypass their countrymen in order to search for Americans who will tip them while their countrymen will not which is their local custom.