Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Firepath

Another Gratuity Question

Recommended Posts

We have pre-paid our gratuities, but how does it work if we wanted to tip extra, such as a bartender or cabin steward? Can they accept a cash tip in person, left in the cabin at end of cruise, or do we need to go somewhere to add it on and specify who it is for?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can you just tip with cash and opt out of the prepaid gratuities?

Edited by Carewmommy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Firepath said:

We have pre-paid our gratuities, but how does it work if we wanted to tip extra, such as a bartender or cabin steward? Can they accept a cash tip in person, left in the cabin at end of cruise, or do we need to go somewhere to add it on and specify who it is for?

Cash tips are greatly appreciated by the crew. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Carewmommy said:

Can you just tip and cash and opt out of the prepaid gratuities?

The Daily Service Charge benefits all of the hard working crew that help make your cruise memorable. This includes all of the behind the scenes crew members like cooks, cleaners, and cruise director staff who would lose out if you only tipped those you think are helping you. After your cruise,

you could request a refund of your DSC by providing a reason for the partial or full removal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Carewmommy said:

Can you just tip with cash and opt out of the prepaid gratuities

You joined in June which is plenty of time to see this exact question asked multiple times so you darn well know what the answer is and what it will do to a thread...... shame on you. 

Edited by esm54687

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, esm54687 said:

You joined in June which is plenty of time to see this exact question asked multiple times so you darn well know what the answer is and what it will do to a thread...... shame on you. 

 I am just asking a question? Sorry I'f this questions been asked before. I couldn't find an antswer when I searched.

Actually you can just not reply if it bothers you so much!

Edited by Carewmommy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

The Daily Service Charge benefits all of the hard working crew that help make your cruise memorable. This includes all of the behind the scenes crew members like cooks, cleaners, and cruise director staff who would lose out if you only tipped those you think are helping you. After your cruise,

you could request a refund of your DSC by providing a reason for the partial or full removal. 

Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

The Daily Service Charge benefits all of the hard working crew that help make your cruise memorable. This includes all of the behind the scenes crew members like cooks, cleaners, and cruise director staff who would lose out if you only tipped those you think are helping you. After your cruise,

you could request a refund of your DSC by providing a reason for the partial or full removal. 

 

Instead of requesting a refund by "providing a reason" after the cruise, one should bring up the reason DURING their cruise so that the issue can be addressed. 

 

Only after attempting unsuccessfully (during the cruise - while it is happening) to rectify a bad service issue, should requesting a refund even be considered.  Even then, it will also negatively affect people who are likely doing an excellent job.

 

As it has already been said, the Daily Service Charge isn't just for the people you see and interact with directly.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/8/2019 at 8:27 AM, DinaS said:

 

Instead of requesting a refund by "providing a reason" after the cruise, one should bring up the reason DURING their cruise so that the issue can be addressed. 

 

Only after attempting unsuccessfully (during the cruise - while it is happening) to rectify a bad service issue, should requesting a refund even be considered.  Even then, it will also negatively affect people who are likely doing an excellent job.

 

As it has already been said, the Daily Service Charge isn't just for the people you see and interact with directly.  

Agree. Some people continue to spread false info here. If you want to make an adjustment to the DSC, do it onboard on the final day of the cruise. It is super simple to do and the matter is closed before you debark the vessel. I can't think of a  reason to delay this until after the cruise.

Edited by blcruising

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, blcruising said:

Agree. Some people continue to spread false info here. If you want to make an adjustment to the DSC, do it onboard on the final day of the cruise. It is super simple to do and the matter is closed before you debark the vessel. I can't think of a  reason to delay this until after the cruise.

Is this true for US travelers? I was under the impression you had to fill out the form and process it through Miami post cruise.

 

UK passengers I know can do it on board before disembarking 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, esm54687 said:

Is this true for US travelers? I was under the impression you had to fill out the form and process it through Miami post cruise.

 

UK passengers I know can do it on board before disembarking 

Yes true for US passengers. Easy peasy. No questions asked. Just go to guest services and it is done. Of course, only do it if you have a legit reason that was not able to get resolved onboard. Cheers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/7/2019 at 3:08 PM, Firepath said:

We have pre-paid our gratuities, but how does it work if we wanted to tip extra, such as a bartender or cabin steward? Can they accept a cash tip in person, left in the cabin at end of cruise, or do we need to go somewhere to add it on and specify who it is for?

We always tip a little extra to our cabin steward and the bar servers. We do cash and regardless as to what the rules are about them putting the extra tips back into the tip pool or not, my guess is none do. That is fine with me. To us, the extra is our way of saying "thank you for going above and beyond"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/8/2019 at 6:22 AM, Carewmommy said:

Can you just tip with cash and opt out of the prepaid gratuities?

This question comes up regularly and here is the answer: Yes you can: should you? absolutely NO! there are so many behind the scenes that are part of the tip pool that would suffer if you did this. they would not receive their fare share.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...