Cruise Critic Community
Crash1991

Ideas for exploring

My family and I will be going to Mahogany Bay this November and I can't decide what to do there.  We are looking for places to go that aren't touristy.  We like to look around and see where the locals go to eat and shop.  I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for places that are a little off the beaten path.  Has anyone gone to any great out of the way places that the could recommend?

Most of the locals do their shopping in Coxen Hole or take the ferry to LaCebia and their eating at home, though there are plenty of eateries in Coxen Hole. There is nothing off the beaten path about Coxen Hole. 

Do you one one of your party speak Spanish? 

There are out of the way places (mostly remote resorts) but dang near all of the island is privately owned. Eveything else is there to entertain visitors. 

If you want to be adventurous, you can book a mangrove kayak/small boat tour up around Oakville.

There are a couple of independent providers that do this.  I think Cleve's has a package.

The Hole in the Wall on Jonesville Bight is a good lunch spot if up in that area.

As Guest 2000 said, not a lot of local spots.  Expats and some islanders will shop in Coxen Hole or French Harbor at Elgins (or what ever its name s now).  The West End has a bit more selection of dining places with localish cuisine as well as some tourista shopping than in West Bay. 

Posted (edited)

Second the recommendation but the town on the east end is Oak Ridge, not Oakville,  my son lives off grid near there. Mangroves are beautiful. This area is off the beaten path. Go by BJ's Backyard for a drink. She has lived there for decades, very much a local hang out

Edited by Host Carolyn