Hand sanitizers still in use? "Corporate" has decided to eliminate them??

Mountainduo

We are currently on the Koningsdam, on the second of two back-to-back 12-day cruises.  

On the previous cruise, hand sanitizers were in the usual locations entering the main dining room, lido restaurant, etc.....exactly as they had always been on many previous cruises on Holland America and other lines.

Now, they have disappeared.  We questioned this, and were told "corporate" made the decision that they are not necessary.

I know they are not 100% effective and are not a substitute for hand washing, but they are certainly a helpful addition.  We are now told they would be made available if there was an illness outbreak, but not in general.  This makes sense??

Have they disappeared from all Holland America ships?  Any recent experience on ships from other lines?

Thanks!

Edited by Mountainduo
make message clearer
  • Like 2

I hope that those that used the hand sanitizer will now wash their hands with soap and warm/hot water before/after meals which is effective for killing bacteria. But as my father use to say “hope is not a plan”.  

Edited by freestyling

Yes, washing hands is the best.  How wonderful it would be if everyone did!

But, after doing so, how many elevator buttons, hand rails on stairs, etc. do those hands touch.  No harm in a bit of sanitizer as you enter the restaurant.

• Like 3

Yes, but sadly they are rarely used.  Not Holland America's fault.  They provide the opportunity.

I feel the same about the hand sanitizers.  Not everyone used them, of course.  But, they gave you the opportunity.  Now, that opportunity has been taken away.  Please tell me it's not to save money!

Edited by Mountainduo
make message clearer
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, taxmantoo said:

The Koningsdam has the new "hand washing" machines at both ends of the Lido buffet area.  Much better than the sanitizers.

Hardly anybody uses them unfortunately and no staff to point them out when entering the Lido. 

Th old fashioned bottles still work better in this case I think.

Agreed.  The hand washing machines are excellent, but rarely used.  Still, good they are available as a choice.

The "old fashioned" sanitizer bottles had a better chance of being used.  At least they should still be available for those who wish to use them!

• Like 1

They still had them on Eurodam a couple weeks ago.  I have no idea how much they were used though.  I walk right past them because hand sanitizer dries my hands out.  I believe in frequent hand washing when on a cruise.

Machines still at Lido and Dining Room entrances on Zuiderdam to Canada in September.  Noticed more people seemed to use them in dining room with welcome receiving line right there than lido unattended. 

We took a Celebrity cruise last spring and that was one thing I noticed different -- they had crew members with bottles of sanitizer offering it to people as they entered the buffet.  I thought this was a good thing.

If HAL eliminates the sanitizer, I'll bring my own.  I don't eat rolls after shared tongs without sanitizing my hands.

• Like 1

Alcohol based hand-sanitizers are largely ineffective at killing fecal bacteria, which is the primary cause of norovirus.  Proper hand washing is the only effective means to kill the bacteria and prevent the spread of norovirus.  This may have played into any decision to cut down/eliminate hand sanitizer being provided.

https://www.cdc.gov/norovirus/about/prevention.html

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mountainduo said:

Yes, washing hands is the best.  How wonderful it would be if everyone did!

But, after doing so, how many elevator buttons, hand rails on stairs, etc. do those hands touch.  No harm in a bit of sanitizer as you enter the restaurant.

Agree with that. It was not always convent to stop into the restroom when going into the Lido to get something to drink and maybe a snack. Being able to get a couple of squirts from the dispenser on the way in was additional protection

• Like 1

If the hand sanitizers can help to prevent transfer of cold and/or flu germs than they are worth their weight in gold.  While I have never gotten norovirus me and I suspect thousands of others have had the unhappy experience of getting a bad cold or flu on a cruise ship. 

Sure washing hands is better but I for one like the hand sanitizers placed all around the ship in the hopes that they might at least be another line of defense against colds.  The cost to the cruise line is relatively minimal compared to the misery of getting a cold while on vacation that tends to ruin the entire experience. Yes I do bring my own hand sanitizer to use on the planes, buses, and ships.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

Alcohol based hand-sanitizers are largely ineffective at killing fecal bacteria, which is the primary cause of norovirus.  Proper hand washing is the only effective means to kill the bacteria and prevent the spread of norovirus.  This may have played into any decision to cut down/eliminate hand sanitizer being provided.

Well, it says "aren't as effective" as washing hands.  To me, that means at least somewhat effective.  Every little bit helps.

Edited by AncientWanderer
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

Hand sanitizers do a good job on bacteria, but not on viruses. Noro is a virus, as are inluenza, the common cold, and the "cruise crud" (enterovirus). 

1 hour ago, AncientWanderer said:

We took a Celebrity cruise last spring and that was one thing I noticed different -- they had crew members with bottles of sanitizer offering it to people as they entered the buffet.  I thought this was a good thing.

If HAL eliminates the sanitizer, I'll bring my own.  I don't eat rolls after shared tongs without sanitizing my hands.

Tip for using shared tongs. Grab a paper napkin and use it to hold shared implements at a buffet.

• Like 4

Firm believer in washing hands in hot water with lots of soap.  We make an extra trip to the bathroom/washing station to do this; however, it bothers me that HAL would remove the hand sanitizers with the idea of only bringing them out again if Noro spreads.  Only problem with this plan of action is that, as someone has already mentioned, hand sanitizer is ineffective against Noro unless it's been mixed with bleach.  Does HAL dilute the hand sanitizers with bleach?  I can't answer that question.  If the answer is no, though, making sanitizer available at that point is similar to vaccinating someone against the measles once he/she shows the symptoms.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sue from Canada said:

I always bring my own little bottles and keep one in my purse when I go to dinner.  I'll use it after handing the waiter the dirty menu.

My guess is that your diligence has resulted in very few if any ship board illnesses being contracted?