Technical Questions

charlielinda

Question for experienced cruisers — Internet, texts, messenger and Facebook.  We will have the Internet package and I wanted to confirm that as long as I put my phone on airplane mode I can use them without any additional fees?

I’d love to call my dad once or twice to check in besides email.  Is there an inexpensive way to do this from the ship.  

Thanks for your assistance. 

21 hours ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

Put your phone in airplane mode, turn off roaming and cellular data,  enable WIFI calling.  When you are logged onto Celebrity's internet you can make a phone call via WIFI.

Is this only if your provider plan includes WIFI Calling?

Your phone must be able to support WiFi Calling and your carrier also must support it.  Most do.  Before you use it for the first time you will need to sign up with your carrier.  You can do this at home before your trip on their website.  And give it a try using your home WiFi signal to make sure everything is OK.  On the ship or in any port with WiFi you can call and text for no additional charges.  Follow the instructions from CHEZMARYLOU above. On my iPhone 7 with Verizon, I get a signal on the top left corner that reads "VZW Wi-FI" when it is working.  Hope this helps.

Contact your cell phone provider and ask about if they support WIFI calling. I have Verizon and it worked on our cruise in December. I even used it off the ship in the cruise terminal.

Just make sure the the phone is turned to airplane mode and then search for WIFI and look for a good signal.

I have also heard from other people that the WIFI coverage is even better now.

We use What's App which is free to download. Anyone you wish to call world wide can be contacted through  What's App as long as they are also signed up for the free What's App system. You can call from the ship or any other location. We use this with our son when we are cruising. You can also text with the application.

• Like 1