Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
sealeggs

Are we the last of the Formal Dress people?

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Just curious - as the cargo pants and hiking boots are so important to you - do you really need a collar on your shirt?

Thats his freedom of choice, innit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This discussion gets more whackier by the minute.

 

Let me get this right. On these formal nights, there is a dress code for females as well?

 

Its just that.......well.........I trust nobody gets offended here, but there were a few obviously still trying to live this code on my last cruise.

 

And the fellas had their tuxedos on. All looking a mirror image of each other. There was a table of 8 sat near us.

 

And then there was 4 females, all wearing what looked like 4 completely randon sets of clothes that seemed to have no corrolation whatsoever with each other.

 

One had on, lets say, a rather short dress, and lets also say, to the untrained eye, didnt have the body for it. And as I am not naming any individual here, looked ridiculous.

 

One looked like she going to a wedding, one a night club, and the other dressed like she audtioning for a disney film.

 

It seemed to me the dress code only applied to the fellas.

 

My wife was wearing what she called a summer dress. I was dressed like I was auditioning for Miami Vice.

 

Who met the code?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Just curious - as the cargo pants and hiking boots are so important to you - do you really need a collar on your shirt?

 

My selection of attire is based on my planned activities during the cruise without needing to check bags. I do not pack and check an extra bag merely to satisfy the small remaining cruisers who want to play dress up at dinner.  

 

8 hours ago, c-boy said:

huh, go figure and to think    I had ya pegged as an R C I or Carnival patron . 

 

Perhaps Cunard would be more suitable for your refined tastes and aspirations of elegance? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, DarrenM said:

This discussion gets more whackier by the minute.

 

Let me get this right. On these formal nights, there is a dress code for females as well?

 

Its just that.......well.........I trust nobody gets offended here, but there were a few obviously still trying to live this code on my last cruise.

 

And the fellas had their tuxedos on. All looking a mirror image of each other. There was a table of 8 sat near us.

 

And then there was 4 females, all wearing what looked like 4 completely randon sets of clothes that seemed to have no corrolation whatsoever with each other.

 

One had on, lets say, a rather short dress, and lets also say, to the untrained eye, didnt have the body for it. And as I am not naming any individual here, looked ridiculous.

 

One looked like she going to a wedding, one a night club, and the other dressed like she audtioning for a disney film.

 

It seemed to me the dress code only applied to the fellas.

 

My wife was wearing what she called a summer dress. I was dressed like I was auditioning for Miami Vice.

 

Who met the code?

 

 

7 hours ago, DarrenM said:

Thats his freedom of choice, innit.

...innit ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

talking about pointless dressing up, have any of you across the pond seen any of our opening of parliament event today? Now that really is fancy dress gone mad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, K32682 said:

 

My selection of attire is based on my planned activities during the cruise without needing to check bags. I do not pack and check an extra bag merely to satisfy the small remaining cruisers who want to play dress up at dinner.  

 

 

Perhaps Cunard would be more suitable for your refined tastes and aspirations of elegance? 

noooope ! for the near foreseeable future I'll stick with the expectations of Princess. I'm guessing you travel alone, of the fleet of foot light in packing crowd.

Edited by c-boy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, ldubs said:

For me it would be all those "fancy tops" with glitter.

Oh, please, yes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For those who sit on any side of this debate, do you feel your behavior / attitude is at all linked to what you are wearing?

 

Some I think haven't yet gotten out of their sleep wear, sometimes what I see at breakfast buffet and even other meals, and believe it or not many times if I was to observe carefully I'd swear their was a correlation between dress and behavior, POTUS is breaking that trend though, LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, c-boy said:

noooope ! for the near foreseeable future I'll stick with the expectations of Princess. I'm guessing you travel alone, of the fleet of foot light in packing crowd.

 

Sorry to shatter your illusions but I travel with my spouse and occasionally with friends and family. 

 

The Princess dress code specifically states "shorts and swimwear" are not allowed in the restaurants. What remains are "recommendations"  for the "enjoyment of all our guests."   My interest in the "enjoyment" of complete strangers is considerably less than my interest than not having to check luggage on an airplane.     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, chipmaster said:

For those who sit on any side of this debate, do you feel your behavior / attitude is at all linked to what you are wearing?

 

Some I think haven't yet gotten out of their sleep wear, sometimes what I see at breakfast buffet and even other meals, and believe it or not many times if I was to observe carefully I'd swear their was a correlation between dress and behavior, POTUS is breaking that trend though, LOL

Actually, it is widely felt by institutions which do care about conduct that what people wear IS linked to what they wear.  Witness schools which attempt to turn out well- educated students, military organizations, courts, private clubs which hope to maintain levels of civility above that of the street, etc. which do have (and enforce) dress codes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

certainly,  mine stems from up bringing and career choices. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, K32682 said:

 

...

 

...  My interest in the "enjoyment" of complete strangers is considerably less than my interest than not having to check luggage on an airplane.     

Your many posts, on different topics, do tend to confirm your disinterest in the “enjoyment” of complete strangers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, wowzz said:

It seems to me that there are a large number of men on here pontificating about why they should be allowed to wear more or less whatever they want.  

It would be interesting to hear what the ladies think. If you put on a special dress, make up, stilettos etc, are you happy if your other half wears a t shirt and shorts? 


Well I'm not wearing stilettos on a ship--too easy to break an ankle.  I wear makeup every day, and dinner is typically a dress or nice slacks and a pretty blouse.  My husband wouldn't even think about wearing anything less than chinos and a polo--dressier if the line asked for more (such as a sports jacket).   We specifically choose lines that have a smart casual dress code every night, which is what we wear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, lovrccl said:

No longer we are done with Royal and especially the biggest ships.  Pure bedlam and crappy food.


We were only on the Mariner and felt that way. I can't imagine what it would be like on the bigger ships!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There will always be a portion of society that bucks laws, rules, suggestions, etc. This can lead to outcomes both positive and negative for themselves and society in general. In the United States for example, if those people in Boston had just accepted the tax on their tea without bucking the system & having a tea party we may not have had the Revolution.

 

We have a dress code at work. However,  if the managers and HR don't enforce the code people will, and do, break it. Do I adhere to the code at work, yes. Do I adhere to the dress code (or suggestions) in general, yes. Does it bother me that others choose differently, sometimes. The sometimes usually relates to how drastically I feel they have chosen to "cross the line". Do I intervene, no. At the end of the day, it doesn't effect they way I do my job or how my food tastes. I can only control myself.

 

Best wishes and happy sailing to you all, whatever you choose to wear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, JennyB1977 said:

There will always be a portion of society that bucks laws, rules, suggestions, etc. This can lead to outcomes both positive and negative for themselves and society in general. In the United States for example, if those people in Boston had just accepted the tax on their tea without bucking the system & having a tea party we may not have had the Revolution.

 

We have a dress code at work. However,  if the managers and HR don't enforce the code people will, and do, break it. Do I adhere to the code at work, yes. Do I adhere to the dress code (or suggestions) in general, yes. Does it bother me that others choose differently, sometimes. The sometimes usually relates to how drastically I feel they have chosen to "cross the line". Do I intervene, no. At the end of the day, it doesn't effect they way I do my job or how my food tastes. I can only control myself.

 

Best wishes and happy sailing to you all, whatever you choose to wear.

Common sense like this is just not needed.😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, JennyB1977 said:

There will always be a portion of society that bucks laws, rules, suggestions, etc. This can lead to outcomes both positive and negative for themselves and society in general. In the United States for example, if those people in Boston had just accepted the tax on their tea without bucking the system & having a tea party we may not have had the Revolution.

 

We have a dress code at work. However,  if the managers and HR don't enforce the code people will, and do, break it. Do I adhere to the code at work, yes. Do I adhere to the dress code (or suggestions) in general, yes. Does it bother me that others choose differently, sometimes. The sometimes usually relates to how drastically I feel they have chosen to "cross the line". Do I intervene, no. At the end of the day, it doesn't effect they way I do my job or how my food tastes. I can only control myself.

 

Best wishes and happy sailing to you all, whatever you choose to wear.

When I was working there was always a dress code.In the last year before I retired the company I was working for tried to have. Casual Friday,however,all Management

people could not dress in that manner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Your many posts, on different topics, do tend to confirm your disinterest in the “enjoyment” of complete strangers.

 

Anyone whose enjoyment of a cruise is grievously compromised because not everyone in the MDR is in a jacket and tie on fancy pants and sparkly dress night can select a line that rigorously enforces a dress code.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, K32682 said:

 

Sorry to shatter your illusions but I travel with my spouse and occasionally with friends and family. 

 

The Princess dress code specifically states "shorts and swimwear" are not allowed in the restaurants. What remains are "recommendations"  for the "enjoyment of all our guests."   My interest in the "enjoyment" of complete strangers is considerably less than my interest than not having to check luggage on an airplane.     

      reading comprehension 101...."Princess makes it easy to know what to pack and what to wear when you’re dining on board our spectacular ships. There are two designations for dress codes: Smart Casual and Formal. "  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ducklite said:


Well I'm not wearing stilettos on a ship--too easy to break an ankle.  I wear makeup every day, and dinner is typically a dress or nice slacks and a pretty blouse.  My husband wouldn't even think about wearing anything less than chinos and a polo--dressier if the line asked for more (such as a sports jacket).   We specifically choose lines that have a smart casual dress code every night, which is what we wear.

Excellent point.I am leaving for a cruise in 5 days.I am packing khaki’s,chinos,dress jeans,knit shirts and some button down shirts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, c-boy said:

      reading comprehension 101...."Princess makes it easy to know what to pack and what to wear when you’re dining on board our spectacular ships. There are two designations for dress codes: Smart Casual and Formal. "  

 

Emphasis added: 

 

https://www.princesscruises.de/en/holiday-princess/important-information/dress-code/2468

 

"There are two recommendations for evenings and dinners:

Smart Casual:

Dress the same way you would do for a visit to a restaurant at home. Skirts, dresses or trousers with t-shirt or blouse for ladies, trousers and shirt or poloshirt for gentlemen. Shorts and swimwear are not allowed in the restaurant.

Formal:

Evening gown, cocktail dress or pantsuits for ladies, suit, combination or dinner jackets for gentlemen."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ducklite said:

such as a sports jacket

I noticed on the Oceania site a photo of, say, six at dinner and one or two of the men had on sports coats so I asked if that's what is preferred. Someone pointed out that those were models 🙂  So, yes, like your mate, Bob will have Docker-style and maybe a step up from that, subtly striped or checked dress shirts and collared golf shirts.  Since we're going to be in Brazil in their summer he won't take a sports jacket but might next Sept. when we'll be in much cooler weather.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Reverse snobbery at its best hey.

 

Funny the other week I went out three nights in a row, once to the local RSL, returned servicemen’s club, one to the Worlers Club, and once to the Gentleman’s Club, you know topics of discussion, behaviour and drinking habits were similar in all three, work, and sport. I would hazard a guess that more alcohol was consumed in the Gents Club per head than either of the others.

Interesting theory.

 

I guess you havent been in a working mens club in the North of England.

 

Most folk havent worked in years, there are no jobs, and they generally drink to forget. So yes your gentlemens club probably do drink more, gin and tonics no doubt. And discuss their stocks and shares, and how difficult it is to get a child minder, such are their problems.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...