Cruise Critic Community
Please look for and post on existing COVID-19 threads before posting a new one.
sakigemcam

Silhouette Revolution - DELAYED?

Thanks,  vtcruising!  That’s great news if the Sky Lounge is left as it is!!  As for the Buffet, I didn’t think the S Class ships needed any refreshing.

3 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

Thanks,  vtcruising!  That’s great news if the Sky Lounge is left as it is!!  As for the Buffet, I didn’t think the S Class ships needed any refreshing.

Fingers crossed ....

3 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Many long time cruisers have learned, the hard way, to avoid the cruise immediately after a major dry dock.  There are too many times when the work does not get finished, workers are aboard the ship, and work continues even though there are passengers on the ship.  This has happened to us a couple of times....and we have had some other cruises after drydocks that were completely fine.

Hank

I’ve been reading you all day, for sure your glass isn’t half full when it comes to Celebrity.

FYI, we’ve sailed Princess 3 times , Oceania and HAL 3 times, never again on these lines.  We did enjoy Viking Ocean on 2 sailings.

2 minutes ago, Oville said:

I’ve been reading you all day, for sure your glass isn’t half full when it comes to Celebrity.

FYI, we’ve sailed Princess 3 times , Oceania and HAL 3 times, never again on these lines.  We did enjoy Viking Ocean on 2 sailings.

We have a close relative who liked Princess until they sailed on Viking.  Now they are hooked and will only cruise Viking.  Ironically, they were on the fated Viking Sky Voyage off of Norway and had to be rescued off the deck (by a Norwegian Helicopter) after thinking their lives were going to end on that voyage.  But they still love the line :).

Sometimes it is hard for us to explain what draws us back to Princess.   There are many issues on that line, but we learn to go with the flow just like we do on HAL.  HAL and Princess offer some fantastic itineraries.  Just consider next year's 56 day Regal Princess cruise from Southampton to Sydney....via some Med ports, Suez Canal, Aqaba (for Petra), Abu Dhabi, Oman, Sri Lanka, Singapore, etc.  And for a much better price then even many ordinary Caribbean cruises on X.  As to HAL, we are booked on a 30 day cruise from Yokohama to Vancouver that covers many Japanese ports and some in Alaska.  Meanwhile. Celebrity charges more money (per passenger day) for similar accommodations tfor what we consider,  cruises to very routine ports.   Princess and HAL also have some fantastic International business class airfares that we do not normally find on other lines.  Even Seabourn, who uses the same air booking office as Princess and HAL...do not offer the same airfares.

I am surprised to see you say something negative about Oceania (please post more info).  We have never been on that line (it is on our future bucket list) but many have told us we are "missing the boat" by not cruising on "O."

So I will admit there is a disconnect here on CC.  A majority of cruisers will cruise once (or twice) a year and take 7 day cruises.  Those folks could care less about exotic itineraries, International Business Class to Asia, etc.  We would no longer consider a 7 day Caribbean cruise on Celebrity, HAL, RCI, Princess, etc.  In fact, at the moment the only short cruise to the Caribbean we would consider is in the Yacht Club of MSC!  We might also consider the Caribbean on some luxury lines such as Seabourn.  

Hank

Hank, we sailed on the Oceania Riviera for 10 or 11 days.   We loved the speciality restaurants, probably the best we’ve been to.  The MDR was not as good as X and painfully slow.  The entertainment was awful, think Ed Sullivan show.  The seating throughout this ship was terribly uncomfortable.  The buffet was very small and a lot of people pushing and shoving to cut in.  There was an outdoor area where you could order breakfast and lunch away from the buffet which we ended up doing.

We really loved Viking Ocean but a total different cruise experience.

OP, we are sailing on the Silhouette in March a fully expect it to be renovated.

12 hours ago, vtcruising said:

I think this is the latest timeline:

image.thumb.png.0ac58c0ebe0e8ef3b3eab637279ded1d.png

We were recently on the Equinox which had a partial redo- very disappointing as the suite deck wasn't finished and just a hot area with sun and no shade and no bar, water feature etc. Other renovations were also lacking-  Hope that they bring it back to complete the renovations before our next Equinox cruise.

29 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

We were recently on the Equinox which had a partial redo- very disappointing as the suite deck wasn't finished and just a hot area with sun and no shade and no bar, water feature etc. Other renovations were also lacking-  Hope that they bring it back to complete the renovations before our next Equinox cruise.

Did you hear anything onboard about whether they were planning to do more work at next dry dock (as we have heard on Cruise Critic)? It looks like she goes in next in June 2021.

This fleet guide seems to have the present planned dry dock dates (of course, they may change again):

http://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/General_Info/Flyers/12030112_CEL_FleetGuide.pdf

Edited by vtcruising

28 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

Did you hear anything onboard about whether they were planning to do more work at next dry dock (as we have heard on Cruise Critic)? It looks like she goes in next in June 2021.

This fleet guide seems to have the present planned dry dock dates (of course, they may change again):

http://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/General_Info/Flyers/12030112_CEL_FleetGuide.pdf

Well guess we will miss the renovation.  We sail on the Equinox,  March 2021.  But we know what to expect and will not even go on the suite deck.

8 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

Well guess we will miss the renovation.  We sail on the Equinox,  March 2021.  But we know what to expect and will not even go on the suite deck.

Maybe they will at least add shade in the meantime.

Silhouette sails 12/22/19 and returns 1/3/20 and then sails to dry dock, first cruise after "Revolution" is 2/14/20 from Ft. Lauderdale , a 9 night Southern Caribbean cruise.

Celebrity was so confident that the redo would be done early in February 2020 that they did schedule a 3 day cruise. It was to be February 11 - 14, available for booking for 5 weeks(we were booked) then it to was canceled!

As others have said, Silhouette cruises have been rescheduled for dry dock and our bookings have been in flux, so right now we are booked b2b for the first post refurbishment cruise(2/14/20 - 9 day) and the following(2/23/20 - 12 day). Hoping there are no more changes as all pre/post cruise arrangements have been made.

@vtcruising

With the multiple changes to the schedule...

is the 2/14/2020 the first out of the box now?

Wasn't there a short one stuffed in between dry dock and that sailing that went offline? Or am I mis-remembering.

14 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

We were recently on the Equinox which had a partial redo- very disappointing as the suite deck wasn't finished and just a hot area with sun and no shade and no bar, water feature etc.

So sorry.  Everyone else on the cruise who was not a suite passenger had NO access whatsoever to that space, which was previously a public space, the only forward-facing exterior deck space on the ship (except the "off limits" helipad).   This is the same situation on the other "revolutionized" ships.   I have no problem with suite guests having their own dining room and lounge; there are plenty of other places where everyone else can eat and hang out. etc.  But there is no equivalent to what is now the suites-only Retreat Sundeck.   I would be glad to be able to enjoy that deck and view of the ocean again, even without shade, "water feature," or bar.  

4 hours ago, Fogfog said:

@vtcruising

With the multiple changes to the schedule...

is the 2/14/2020 the first out of the box now?

Wasn't there a short one stuffed in between dry dock and that sailing that went offline? Or am I mis-remembering.

That is my understanding. I know I looked at that 3 night cruise (I think it was 3 nights - 2/11-2/14) they tucked in just prior to the 2/14 cruise - glad I didn't book it since it was canceled.

6 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

So sorry.  Everyone else on the cruise who was not a suite passenger had NO access whatsoever to that space, which was previously a public space, the only forward-facing exterior deck space on the ship (except the "off limits" helipad).   This is the same situation on the other "revolutionized" ships.   I have no problem with suite guests having their own dining room and lounge; there are plenty of other places where everyone else can eat and hang out. etc.  But there is no equivalent to what is now the suites-only Retreat Sundeck.   I would be glad to be able to enjoy that deck and view of the ocean again, even without shade, "water feature," or bar.  

I m pretty sure that there is an area at the front of deck 15 that is more at the front than the solstice deck ever was which I am also sure that there were loungers there as that was always part of my round the ship walk (deck 14 up the stairs to deck 15, round the front of the ship, down the stairs to deck 14 then back up to the lawn club round the rear past the sunset bar etc).

Edited by Gordoncruickshank

On 10/8/2019 at 10:27 PM, Turtles06 said:

It's our favorite ship, too, but they will mess her up as they are doing on all their ships by taking away the only forward-facing exterior deck -- a unique public space -- and turning it into the Retreat Sundeck, prohibited to all but suite passengers.   Back to the era of the Titanic.  We were just on the "revolutionized" Summit, and this really, really bothered me.  I did enjoy the new color tones, and the updated buffet, but the S-class ships already have a great buffet layout.  Except for a refresh, I wish X would leave them alone.

I absolutely agree and having enjoyed many cruises on S class ships, will not set foot on them again if I am denied what made it enjoyable in the past.

My understanding is that the Retreat deck with Suite only access is on deck 16 forward and that all passengers can still access deck 15 forward. There should still be an outside viewing area for everyone in front of the basketball court. This applies to all Solstice class vessels. On Millenium class there is indeed no access to the front.   

Edited by Saab4444

3 hours ago, Gordoncruickshank said:

I m pretty sure that there is an area at the front of deck 15 that is more at the front than the solstice deck ever was which I am also sure that there were loungers there as that was always part of my round the ship walk (deck 14 up the stairs to deck 15, round the front of the ship, down the stairs to deck 14 then back up to the lawn club round the rear past the sunset bar etc).

29 minutes ago, Saab4444 said:

My understanding is that the Retreat deck with Suite only access is on deck 16 forward and that all passengers can still access deck 15 forward. There should still be an outside viewing area for everyone in front of the basketball court. This applies to all Solstice class vessels. On Millenium class there is indeed no access to the front.   

I was just on the Summit, and there was no longer any access to a forward-facing outer deck.  I haven’t been on a “revolutionized” S-class ship, so I cannot say for sure; I hope you are both correct. But if I’m not mistaken, the Edge was purpose built with just a suites-only forward-facing outer deck (the Retreat Sundeck), so that’s certainly the two-class direction in which Celebrity is heading. (The Apex deck plan is the same.)

Edited by Turtles06

10 hours ago, vtcruising said:

That is my understanding. I know I looked at that 3 night cruise (I think it was 3 nights - 2/11-2/14) they tucked in just prior to the 2/14 cruise - glad I didn't book it since it was canceled.

We just cancelled on the 2/14 sailing because of booking something else. Was holding onto it in the hopes that if it was rescheduled/moved that we'd get an incentive...as did all those on the Jan and early Feb sailings.

Figured that change would happen now (IF at all) inside the 90 days final payment and so I pulled the trigger on getting our deposit back  a few  weeks early. Will be a bummer if I should have been patient 2 more weeks.

3 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

I was just on the Summit, and there was no longer any access to a forward-facing outer deck.  I haven’t been on a “revolutionized” S-class ship, so I cannot say for sure; I hope you are both correct. But if I’m not mistaken, the Edge was purpose built with just a suites-only forward-facing outer deck (the Retreat Sundeck), so that’s certainly the two-class direction in which Celebrity is heading. (The Apex deck plan is the same.)

I am fairly sure that the retreat deck is the old Solstice deck and doubt of any of this 

"The Retreat Sundeck, an exclusive open-air hideaway for suite guests designed by Kelly Hoppen, featuring a bar, hot tub, luxurious new cabanas, loungers, artwork, and more" will impact at the front of deck 15, but I will know for certain when we board on the 26 February next year.

Just off Equinox... frankly saw little of the changes that I expected to see... but I was happy the Sky lounge was untouched... and glad to hear they will keep it. The only changes I, as a lowly regular verdanda passenger noticed... was the Retreat lounge and new carpet and chairs in the Passport lounge area... and of course the new hull paint job. I assume that they are working from the more highly priced cabins on down... we were in a 1A cabin on deck 6... the bed 'dust ruffle' was new... light gray and the curtains, decorative pillows and bedding was new (now king size pillows vs those tiny ones they used to have). The carpet was still rust colored and the sofa looked old and a bit dusty. But I love the ship... I assume that bit by bit they will make other changes. I have to say that looking into the Retreat area vs Murano, next door, it look very sterile and not particularly inviting... but I am a dark wood lover... Murano was intimate and comforting like a warm blanket... the Retreat looked like the waiting room of a doctor's office. I know some will love it... that is what makes the world go round.  I assume that between the Oasis accident at the dry dock on Grand Bahama Island...and Dorian... that all updates would be delayed. I am not really into decor... and I love Equinox and its staff, food and the ship in general..updated or not

Here's hoping that the upper tier suites will see some type of refresh as occurred in the Millennium class! However, I doubt that will be the case. We'll be onboard for a late March cruise, and other than bedding (and I suppose them taking out the piano?), I'm not counting on much.

Tom