Best Food?

cruisinaz

54 minutes ago, cruisinaz said:

If you picked a cruise line purely because of the best food...which would you pick?

"Different strokes for different folks." That said, how are you measuring "best" food?

That said, count me in the group here on CC that think Oceania lives up to its reputation for the "finest cuisine at sea."™ 

Having lived and dined out often in New York and San Francisco, we're no strangers to Michelin star quality (as well as the "mom and pop" joints that would give them a "run for their money"). But, I'd rather you trust the food industry pros (e.g., Saveur, Bon Appetite, Wine Spectator, et al.) whose praise for Oceania's culinary excellence has remained consistent over the years. 

And then there are the more casual (though worthy) reviews like- 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carriecoolidge/2017/12/11/oceania-cruises-is-best-cruise-line-for-foodies/amp/

• Like 1

Totally get different strokes for different folks!    
I’m open to everyone’s opinions and I’m sure many will say why!     

Someone that has only cruised once, saved for years might find xyz cruise to be the best they have ever had, meanwhile a well traveled may find the new Ritz Carlton to be the best.  At the same time someone may find their Mom’s meatloaf the best meal ever and no restaurant on this earth will ever compare.

looking forward to everyone’s two cents 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, DarrenM said:

Celebrity innit?

No, food is OK, but not great. To which other lines are you comparing Celebrity ?

I'd also say that much depends on the nationality of the cruiser with regards to determining the quality of the cuisine. Americans,  for example, seem to set great store by the quality of the Pizza on board, whereas I consider it to be a food for children and couldn't care less about it.

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

No, food is OK, but not great. To which other lines are you comparing Celebrity ?

I'd also say that much depends on the nationality of the cruiser with regards to determining the quality of the cuisine. Americans,  for example, seem to set great store by the quality of the Pizza on board, whereas I consider it to be a food for children and couldn't care less about it.

Food was great last time I was on. Infact it was better than great.

I am comparing it to nothing. I have only been on Celebrity.

I am also not sure how you calculate levels of greatness. Its just food. If it tastes nice its great.

Cant be doing with any sort of food snobbery.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, DarrenM said:

Food was great last time I was on. Infact it was better than great.

I am comparing it to nothing. I have only been on Celebrity.

I am also not sure how you calculate levels of greatness. Its just food. If it tastes nice its great.

Cant be doing with any sort of food snobbery.

The question was about the "best" food. You just said the food on Celebrity was great, but that does not answer the original question.

There is a reason Luxury cruises cost more.  The adage is, “you get what you pay for” comes to mind.   There are classes of cruiselines, ie., mass market (NCL, RCCL, CARN...etc), premium (Celebrity, Hal),  premium plus (or luxury lite ..Azamara, Viking Ocean, Oceania), and luxury classes..(Regent, Crystal, Seabourn, Silversea, etc).  It makes sense that when you are on a luxury line, your meals are also better than the Mass Mkt lines.  As the majority of the posters on CC are mass mkt cruisers, OP probably needs to clarify.   This is high subjective.    For us, we progressed from mass mkt, to premium, to premium plus, and now lux, and find that Seabourn to us has the best food for a non charter cruise, but YMMV.   

Edited by Cruseforme

As others have said, this is impossible to answer - kind of like which color of the rainbow is prettiest?  Also not sure why anyone would even consider food as the only criteria on which to select a ship - hypothetically or not.  

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

You'll find by far the best food on the German Luxury line Hapag Lloyd and their food has nothing to do with what Americans consider German food. One of their ships is the international Europa 2 with English speaking passengers in mind.

From ten kinds of bread to Spanish and Italian hams, lobster, crab, caviar and steak, high end lose leaf teas, genuine northern Italian cuisine, Fench bistro, pan Asian, 6 course dinners (small portion each), Belgian waffles, Italian ice cream, dark chocolate infused with cognac, berries, fresh fruit, they got it all daily at the highest quality with impeccable presentation and chefs that  keep the standards of high end land based restaurants. See photo.

I like Oceania's food a lot, good cruise line for food. I also liked Azamara's food. As Cruseforme said, you need to go to high end cruise lines because they allot more money for food.

P1090338.JPG

I still dont get this thread. Who decides what food is the best?

Surely the best isnt what looks the most poncey on a plate, like the photo above?

Neat and tidy food in all sorts of ridiculous colours doesnt make it better than Steak and fries.

All of my food is incredible, especially after a few beers.

Give me a plate of triple cooked chips over anything like the photo above.

I think every ship has some dishes that are delicious, some that are so so and some that are "don't want that again". Even the most luxurious of cruises they don't always get every dish right and sometimes the simplest dishes are the tastiest. I remember on Aranui my favourite dish on the whole trip was a Poisson Cru. There were some fancy French dishes we had for dinner and yet the most memorable dish for me was essentially street food😜.

• Like 1

Best is so subjective, always amazed at those chowing down at the buffet, of course they look like that is just a catch before more chowing in the dining room.

For me "best" is more about beating expectations,  I've come away happy on all my cruises and also disappointed.    

Discussion about "best" cruise line almost like debating best business class food on an airplane.  On average probably some merit to the ranking to the individual, I guess if you are the "average" joe with the "average" taste and preference go for the surveys, but in the end that is why those who really are into it need to sample themselves and ask was the cost worth it?

I never pick a cruise vacation for the food, all about the locations.  If I want food I go to a land based joint

As others have stated, "best" is quite subjective, but for us, the "best" food we've ever had on a cruise was on a Grand Circle river cruise through Germany to Amsterdam. Selections were a bit more limited than on a large liner, but perhaps not cranking out 1000 plus meals made the difference.

4 minutes ago, calliopecruiser said:

Out of the 4 cruise lines I've traveled on, Crystal has the best food by far.  (Others are Carnival, HAL, and Princess)

Which you would expect, given the price.