Surprising shake-up

RCL has just announced, effective immediately, that its old local head Gavin Smith is returning to our region, replacing our current MD. As he's being pulled out of an international VP role, that's generally regarded as a step back though he may prefer it for personal reasons. But given the suddenness of the change, that it's a step down and the person in there was only there for a short time, looks like something is up.

3 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Quite probable that RCL had a lot of TC bookings...

Yes David, Royal Caribbean operate a lot of their mega ships from UK/Europe and many pax would have booked via Thomas Cook.

1 hour ago, The_Big_M said:

RCL has just announced, effective immediately, that its old local head Gavin Smith is returning to our region, replacing our current MD. As he's being pulled out of an international VP role, that's generally regarded as a step back though he may prefer it for personal reasons. But given the suddenness of the change, that it's a step down and the person in there was only there for a short time, looks like something is up.

Smith was probably a bit homesick.  Unless you know something that was printed in the reports I've been reading.

Bonner seemed a bit frustrated by the challenges of growing the brand locally while goverments can't be schmoozed as easily by big business in Oz & NZ.

18 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

I saw that. I liked how they are going to contribute to Sydney’s new cruise capacity.They may offer money but will give advice.

Yes, that contibution could just be bombarding Sydney with passengers and saying how much they want Garden Is.

They may even chip in for shared use (with Navy, not other cruise companies) of GI.

Can't see them chipping in for Port Botany!

Edited by banzaii

The real point is, I can't see the cruise companies reaching into those deep pockets for Port Botany.

But I'd be willing to bet they would help fund a viable alternative inside the Harbour if one were put forward.

6 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

Gavin was the original cruise line proponent of Botany. Can't see why that would have changed, and actually thought that may also have been a factor in him coming back to encouragement further movement in that path.

Didn't know that.  Thanks!

After the announcement yesterday..... I would suspect that one of the main reasons Gavin is back is to manage the development of the "perfect day at Lelepa" resort.

The architects are Australian and the resort would likely be heavily geared towards the Australian cruise industry.

It would make sense that the project would be managed out of the Australian office and in turn, having an experienced operator at the helm would be beneficial to RCI.

Furthermore, if he has been a big proponent of expanding facilities in Sydney, he would want to get back in that game for the increase in traffic they will have as a result of the new destination.

On 10/15/2019 at 4:43 PM, The_Big_M said:

Gavin was the original cruise line proponent of Botany. Can't see why that would have changed, and actually thought that may also have been a factor in him coming back to encouragement further movement in that path.

If my memory serves me right , didn’t he set P&O Australia up before RCL hit the scene ?