Cruise Critic Community
Cruisin Wannabe

Rothenburg vs Wurzburg, Advice

I am reviewing the itinerary for our upcoming Rhine river cruise with Scenic and wondering if folks out there have done either or both of these city visits. Looks like we can only do 1 or the other. Insight greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Both places are worth visiting, Würzburg you are moored in the town Rothenburg you are about 1 hour drive away.

Rothenburg can be saturated with tourists especially coming upto Christmas time. The buses are parked outside the city walls and there are long walks over cobbled streets.

I suggest your read up on both place and then decide which town suits are requirements.

We have visited Würzburg 3x (each time we spent a night or two) and we like it very much. We have made a stop at Rothenburg once while driving by, and spent a few hours.

Both are good places to spend a day. Rothenburg will likely be crowded with many other buses and their tour groups as G.M.T. points out. You might find a quiet spot in Würzburg to be by yourself, and you won't need to drive an hour each way to do it.

Rothenburg has the "Torture Museum" which is unique, as well as St. Jacob's Church with its Holy Blood altarpiece. If either of these is of importance to you then go to Rothenburg. You can also walk on the old city walls in Rothenburg.

Würzburg has Marienberg fortress which is a nice climb and offers some great views. There is a small exhibit about Roentgen (discoverer of X-Rays) in the University which is a free exhibit. There is also the Residenz, a beautiful ornate palace which is worth a visit. Plus the Alte Mainbrücke, a nice place to stop and have a glass of wine with a view.

Both are pretty cities but I've tried to give you a few unique places in each, which the other city doesn't have. Yes, you should see both, but unfortunately you have to pick one. You can have a nice time in either city, so enjoy whichever one you choose.

If as G.M.T. predicts you will be docked right in town at Würzburg, you may have time to give it a quick DIY after the ship's excursion to Rothenburg.

I was a little jaded with Rothenburg since I've been to Bruges twice. Unlike Bruges, Rothenburg still allows street traffic. Tour buses actually drive down the narrow streets. The day we were there the town square was filled with vintage automobiles. That was a turnoff for me. Plus it was a long bus ride to get there.

If you have never been to Bruges it's worth a trip but the Bishop's residence at Würzburg is not to be missed. The 3 dimensional ceiling in the imperial hall is something to behold. There are stone carvings that at first you assume are drapes. It's pretty incredible.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne

9 hours ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

I was a little jaded with Rothenburg since I've been to Bruges twice. Unlike Bruges, Rothenburg still allows street traffic. Tour buses actually drive down the narrow streets. The day we were there the town square was filled with vintage automobiles. That was a turnoff for me. Plus it was a long bus ride to get there.

If you have never been to Bruges it's worth a trip but the Bishop's residence at Würzburg is not to be missed. The 3 dimensional ceiling in the imperial hall is something to behold. There are stone carvings that at first you assume are drapes. It's pretty incredible.

How did Bruges enter the equation?

5 hours ago, G.M.T. said:

They’re both “quaint” and “cute” and overrun with tourists.

6 hours ago, G.M.T. said:

Both are well preserved medieval cities. I was stating that after visiting Bruges I wasn't impressed with Rothenburg and wished I had spent more time in Würzburg. Therefore, IMO, if you are familiar with visiting a walled medieval city, your time would be better spent in Würzburg.

40 minutes ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

Both are well preserved medieval cities. I was stating that after visiting Bruges I wasn't impressed with Rothenburg and wished I had spent more time in Würzburg. Therefore, IMO, if you are familiar with visiting a walled medieval city, your time would be better spent in Würzburg.

Totally agree with you, Wurzburg over Rothenburg anytime.