12 days in Italy

waterbug123

Leaving today for a 12 day trip to Italy.  Disclaimer:  this trip isn't a cruise, but this board gets a lot of questions about land-based trips as well, that may or may not be an add-on to a cruise, and the board also gets a lot of questions about packing in a carry-on only, which I am doing for this trip.  I will check my bag over the pond, but prefer carry-on only, simply to make it easier to get on and off trains, which we'll do a couple of times, and because of limited space in a transfer van we'll be in a couple of times with a group of our friends. 

So....if anyone is interested in a list of what I packed, let me know.  I'll wait til I get back to reply, because then I can add if I regretted packing or not packing something.  The Milan portion of the trip will involve active sightseeing and dinners in restaurants.  The Tuscany portion of the trip will involve staying in a villa and mostly having dinners prepared for us there, i.e. not going out to restaurants, so no need to "dress for dinner."  We will spend the days in casual attire, visiting wineries, visiting nearby small towns for lunch, sightseeing in Siena one day, and that kind of thing.  If the weather cooperates, we will spend a day walking/hiking at park that is wooded and has paths along the stream or river.  We expect reasonably warm days, cooler mornings and evenings, and likely rain in Milan.  So due to varied weather and varied activities, I need to take a versatile array of clothing items, but still have it all fit in a 21" carry-on. Oh, and the villa has a hot tub so need to throw in a swimsuit as well! 

• Like 3

Hi Meg, sounds like a wonderful trip and I hope you have  a fantastic time:classic_biggrin:.  I will be in Venice on Saturday and

did much of  my packing already.   Taking 1 checked bag and 1 carry on.  (going on a River Cruise). 

Safe Travels to you!

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, puppycanducruise said:

Looking forward to hearing what clothes worked for you, and what just took up space.

Hope you have a wonderful trip.

Thank you, I'll report back in a couple of weeks!

15 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi Meg, sounds like a wonderful trip and I hope you have  a fantastic time:classic_biggrin:.  I will be in Venice on Saturday and

did much of  my packing already.   Taking 1 checked bag and 1 carry on.  (going on a River Cruise). 

Safe Travels to you!

Thank you, safe travels to you as well!  We did a river cruise for the first time a year ago.  We enjoyed it, but it was very different from an ocean cruise!  Enjoy Venice as well!

I'm interested in your experience. I will be in Rome for 10 days in November, mostly city sightseeing. I should have it sussed since this will be my fourth week+ stay in Rome at this time of year, but I always like to update and re-think my options. This time I'm not packing carry-on only since I will stay put in Rome for the most part. 

Edited by cruisemom42

5 hours ago, waterbug123 said:

Leaving today for a 12 day trip to Italy.  Disclaimer:  this trip isn't a cruise, but this board gets a lot of questions about land-based trips as well, that may or may not be an add-on to a cruise, and the board also gets a lot of questions about packing in a carry-on only, which I am doing for this trip.  I will check my bag over the pond, but prefer carry-on only, simply to make it easier to get on and off trains, which we'll do a couple of times, and because of limited space in a transfer van we'll be in a couple of times with a group of our friends. 

So....if anyone is interested in a list of what I packed, let me know.  I'll wait til I get back to reply, because then I can add if I regretted packing or not packing something.  The Milan portion of the trip will involve active sightseeing and dinners in restaurants.  The Tuscany portion of the trip will involve staying in a villa and mostly having dinners prepared for us there, i.e. not going out to restaurants, so no need to "dress for dinner."  We will spend the days in casual attire, visiting wineries, visiting nearby small towns for lunch, sightseeing in Siena one day, and that kind of thing.  If the weather cooperates, we will spend a day walking/hiking at park that is wooded and has paths along the stream or river.  We expect reasonably warm days, cooler mornings and evenings, and likely rain in Milan.  So due to varied weather and varied activities, I need to take a versatile array of clothing items, but still have it all fit in a 21" carry-on. Oh, and the villa has a hot tub so need to throw in a swimsuit as well! 

We are going on a land tour and seven day cruise of Europe next June, so I am really looking forward to hearing your report of what worked out for you as I am a very light packer.  We will be gone for 16 days and I've really been trying to think this out

and I went as far as to buy 2 reversible skirts and a reversible dress off Poshmark to help lighten the packing load.  I've also purchased some lighter fabric clothing so that I can take a little more.  We especially don't want to be taking our huge suitcases as we will be using the vaporetto's on the Venice part of our trip.  My wardrobe could very well change as some pain in my knee has me losing weight right now.....time will tell.   If I finally lose the weight, it will be a good problem to have!

5 hours ago, Lois R said:

Safe Travels to you!

Need to hear about Venice Lois.....even though we lived in Europe, we didn't make it to Italy.....let me know what you think and what you liked!  Have a WONDERFUL time! :)

Have fun everyone!  I'm jealous.

Europe isn't in the cards this year.  So, I'm loading my Sportage and doing a 10 day camping trip through Southern Utah/Northern Arizona.  It's actually a "bucket list" trip of mine, so I'm excited.  With all my camping stuff (tent, kitchen box, cooler, sleeping bag and pad, camp chair, camp table, stove), I have no choice but to pack in a "carry on" size bag!  Fortunately, no formal nights, no big cities to explore, no restaurants, so it's Tshirts, sweatshirt, leggings, hiking pants, fleece jacket and my hiking boots!!  

Enjoy your adventures!  

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

Europe isn't in the cards this year.  So, I'm loading my Sportage and doing a 10 day camping trip through Southern Utah/Northern Arizona.  It's actually a "bucket list" trip of mine, so I'm excited.  With all my camping stuff (tent, kitchen box, cooler, sleeping bag and pad, camp chair, camp table, stove), I have no choice but to pack in a "carry on" size bag!  Fortunately, no formal nights, no big cities to explore, no restaurants, so it's Tshirts, sweatshirt, leggings, hiking pants, fleece jacket and my hiking boots!!  

Enjoy your adventures!  

Enjoy your adventures and those colorful hiking shoes too.

11 hours ago, waterbug123 said:

Thank you, I'll report back in a couple of weeks!

Thank you, safe travels to you as well!  We did a river cruise for the first time a year ago.  We enjoyed it, but it was very different from an ocean cruise!  Enjoy Venice as well!

Hi Meg, this will be my 2nd river cruise so I know how different it is from an Ocean...….but I loved my first one and

really looking forward to this one too.:classic_smile:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, islandgirlejfan said:

We are going on a land tour and seven day cruise of Europe next June, so I am really looking forward to hearing your report of what worked out for you as I am a very light packer.  We will be gone for 16 days and I've really been trying to think this out

and I went as far as to buy 2 reversible skirts and a reversible dress off Poshmark to help lighten the packing load.  I've also purchased some lighter fabric clothing so that I can take a little more.  We especially don't want to be taking our huge suitcases as we will be using the vaporetto's on the Venice part of our trip.  My wardrobe could very well change as some pain in my knee has me losing weight right now.....time will tell.   If I finally lose the weight, it will be a good problem to have!

Need to hear about Venice Lois.....even though we lived in Europe, we didn't make it to Italy.....let me know what you think and what you liked!  Have a WONDERFUL time! :)

Hey stranger:classic_biggrin:.....this will be my 2nd time in Venice...so if you are asking? I loved it!! And cannot wait for this cruise!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Fortunately, no formal nights, no big cities to explore, no restaurants, so it's Tshirts, sweatshirt, leggings, hiking pants, fleece jacket and my hiking boots!!  

Enjoy your adventures!  

But also....no Pizzarium!

I will try to get there and have a slice for you, although the Vatican is not on my itinerary this time around...

20 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Enjoy your adventures!  

We did this at the beginning of summer, a great family trip.   Hope you make it to Mesa Verde National Park in Colorado, so worth the extra drive.

9 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

But also....no Pizzarium!

I will try to get there and have a slice for you, although the Vatican is not on my itinerary this time around...

OH MAN!  I didn't think about that...   Damn.  If you get there, get a slice of potato.  

I will take a glass of Brunello from you, though 😉

9 hours ago, MIJOY said:

We did this at the beginning of summer, a great family trip.   Hope you make it to Mesa Verde National Park in Colorado, so worth the extra drive.

If I had the 3 extra days I wanted, I probably would have done Mesa Verde.  Alas, the boss needs me back at work so she can take her vacation before the Winter season starts.  

• 2 weeks later...

We got back last night, so this is the follow up.  It's long, but hopefully helpful for others planning a long land-based trip, either in conjunction with a cruise or independently.

I carried on my Briggs & Riley Sympatico shopping tote, which held a folder of travel info, sunglasses, a Tervis tumbler, zipper bag of electronics chargers/accessories, zipper bag of travel odds and ends that I like to have on a plane just in case (bandaids, small hand cream, facial wipe, chapstick, hand sanitizer etc.), wallet, passport, ipad, phone and a few other small odds and ends.  I also took a leather cross body purse to use while in Italy and transported this inside the larger B&R bag.

Travel outfit:  black leggings, a long black & white heathered t-shirt hoodie over a tank, & gold Olukai flip flops.  I threw a pair of gym shorts in my tote in case it was too hot to sleep in the leggings (we were in biz class which meant I had a heavy duvet at my seat)  I love this tote and it works well for travel days!  And it slips over the handle of my suitcase, which was very convenient for our train travel days.

I packed the following in a 21" hard sided Away brand spinner bag, which I checked:

Bottoms: 1 pair jeans, 1 pair white jeans, 1 black Athleta skort, a pair of lightweight gray leggings for lounging

Tops:  4 solid color tees (white, black, gray), 2 black & white print sleeveless tops, 1 lightweight gray sweater with 3/4 bell sleeves, 1 lightweight gray sweatshirt for lounging

Shoes:  black Vionic sneakers, neutral (cork) Vionic sandals w/ heal strap, gray Vionic low-heeled booties

Outerwear:  black lightweight cardigan, heavy hip-length gray cardigan, black Lands End all-weather jacket

Misc:  underwear, 2 additional bras, swimsuit, 1 black belt, no additional jewelry besides the rings, diamond studs, small chain necklace and 2 silver bracelets that I wear daily, 1 lightweight neutral (cream/beige/light gray w/ some metallic threads) scarf

What worked and what didn't:

Bottoms:  I wore the jeans, white jeans and skort multiple times.  These were good basics and all tops worked with all bottoms.  I liked having 2 pair of leggings to rotate while lounging at the villa, and while I didn't end up needing to change into the gym shorts on the flight over, I wore them for a hiking day and for lounging as well.  Only downside was the shorts had no pockets so on the hiking day I was carrying my phone and a water bottle in my hands.  Kind of found myself wishing that day that I'd taken a pair of pants I have from Athleta that are lightweight trekking material, tapered and have multiple pockets, though I still would have been carrying my water bottle in my hand for the hike (at least I could have pocketed my phone).  They would have been good for the daytime trip home as well, and would have worked during sightseeing days too.  I had also debated taking my black t-shirt dress but decided the skort would be more versatile.  Found myself a couple of times wishing I had it though.  While I wore my white jeans a couple of times, the pair I have are heavy so in hindsight I would have left them at home and replaced with the lighter weight black Athleta pants and the black t-shirt dress.

Tops:  Wore all, as they all coordinated with all bottoms, but with laundry available, I could have left 1 tee and 1 sleeveless at home. A couple of times I found myself wishing I had a lightweight longsleeved gray tee that I usually take so maybe should have taken that instead of 1 of the short sleeved tees; it would have meant I could head out without a cardigan a couple of days.

Shoes:  I wore all multiple times.  I could have left the booties, but did enjoy wearing them to dress things up just a tad a couple of times.  If space had been an issue, I could have left either the flip flops or sandals at home.  I like the flip flops for long flights as they are so easy to slip on for lavatory visits on long flights and slip off again at my seat.  They look nice enough for casual days but the cork sandals with heal strap are pretty versatile and obviously a little nicer looking.  I could have made do with just sneakers and sandals if I had to.

Outerwear:  This was the biggest goof up in hindsight.  I took the all weather jacket, as October is the rainiest month in Milan and we spent 4 days there.  It did rain, and I was glad I had it, but it did take up a lot of room in my suitcase.  The heavier, hip-length cardigan should have stayed home though.  The weather was warm enough, as it's typically been in Italy in October, that i didn't really need it for warmth, so another lightweight cardigan would have worked better and taken up less room in my suitcase.  Then, if we had experienced cooler weather, I simply could have layered my all weather jacket over a lighter cardigan.  And while nights at the villa were cooler and typically spent around the fire pit, I had the t-shirt hoodie and the lightweight sweatshirt for that so the heavy cardigan was of no real need for that either.

Misc:  I never did get in the hot tub at the villa on this trip, but usually do so I'd still pack it next time. 

Summary:   Overall everything mix and matched and layered well.   Next time I'd take the lightweight Athleta pants instead of the heavier white jeans, a lightweight long sleeved tee instead of one of the short sleeved tees, substitute a 2nd lightweight cardigan for the heavy, long one, and take my t-shirt dress, possible in place of another sleeveless or short sleeved top.  And possibly leave the booties and/or flip flops at home. 

• Like 3

It sounds like you had an wonderful, relaxing trip!  Where was this villa???  Lounging, hanging around the fire pit - sounds amazing.

It sounds like you made excellent choices on what to pack.  Not too much extraneous stuff.  A suggestion for those white jeans: If you can swallow the price, look at the Sculptek jeans that Athleta sells.  Very lightweight stretch material.  I wore them on my 4-hour flights to/from MCO the end of May.  I wore them out at night a few times.  They weren't hot at all.   They are a seasonal offering, so look for them when they start the Spring stuff.  They are now in the Sale section but only sizes 14 & 16.  They call them "skinny" but they aren't the skin tight ones - at least on me, they look like a normal, but a little slim, straight leg.

16 hours ago, slidergirl said:

It sounds like you had an wonderful, relaxing trip!  Where was this villa???  Lounging, hanging around the fire pit - sounds amazing.

It sounds like you made excellent choices on what to pack.  Not too much extraneous stuff.  A suggestion for those white jeans: If you can swallow the price, look at the Sculptek jeans that Athleta sells.  Very lightweight stretch material.  I wore them on my 4-hour flights to/from MCO the end of May.  I wore them out at night a few times.  They weren't hot at all.  

Thanks, I will keep those Athleta jeans in mind.  This is the 5th time we've spent a week at this villa in October and I've taken white jeans before and been fine.  But apparently the pair I have currently are heavier than ones I've had in the past.  They are also kind of bulky to pack so definitely interested in the ones you mentioned.  I've only just started shopping at Athleta recently but need to spend more time in there.  🙂

As for the Tuscan villa, yes it is wonderful!  It is out in the country about midway between Florence and Siena   It has 7 bedrooms and 5 bathrooms and you rent the whole place, not individual rooms, so ideal for a group of friends or family.  The owners live right beside the villa in the guest house, and can offer driving services, meals (Maria is a fabulous chef and baker!), grocery shopping, and can arrange winery visits and other activities.  We first stayed there in 2012, and have been back a total of 5 times now, always in October when the rates are lower and the weather is fantastic.  The owners have become friends over the years, so while we are still "renters," it is now like going home to visit family. 

• Like 2

Hi Meg, good morning, sounds like a wonderful trip.:classic_smile:

I got home from Venice on Sunday night and am awed at Italy:classic_smile:....my cruise was wonderful.....river cruise

with 112 guests....fabulous food and service, met some lovely folks.  I brought clothes that I did not wear but was

pretty pleased with my choices.   During the day I was in jeans for touring.....weather was good...…...long sleeves/

3/4 sleeves.  Walking shoes and socks---I  brought 5 pairs total.  Had a lightweight pair of black flats

for my flight (I had forgot about them LOL).  My walking shoes, a pair of grey loafers, 1 pair of slides,

and black sandals that were dressier for evening. (they are low heels, leather and I love them).

I love Venice:classic_biggrin:

• Like 3

Wow, our two Italian travelers are back! Thanks for your lists and notes.

I heard from another friend just back from Italy that it's been warm. Keeping an eye on the temps before my November trip to Rome.... I've already crossed one heavier sweater off my list.

Hi, I brought a couple of cardigans...…..actually 3.  One is a fine gauge black 3/4 sleeve and I never wore it LOL

(brought it for evenings....."just in case").

Daytime  I had a longer length blue one.....it has flecks of color running throughout and I brought it with me for daytime touring. Didn't need it a lot of the time but didn't want to be without.  And I had a grey one I used for the flights.

None of them are "heavy".

3 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi, I brought a couple of cardigans...…..actually 3.  One is a fine gauge black 3/4 sleeve and I never wore it LOL

(brought it for evenings....."just in case").

Daytime  I had a longer length blue one.....it has flecks of color running throughout and I brought it with me for daytime touring. Didn't need it a lot of the time but didn't want to be without.  And I had a grey one I used for the flights.

None of them are "heavy".

Sounds somewhat similar to what I'm thinking. Black is my basic travel color and I am also planning to bring a (fairly light weight) black cardigan for evenings. Rome is warmer than Venice, but by November I expect it will be chilly in the evenings -- it has been in the past anyway....

I did splurge on a nice Eileen Fisher lightweight rain jacket in black. It's a replacement -- my old favorite of many years ripped at the shoulder last year and I didn't think it was worth repairing....  Rome can be rainy by the end of November.

I overpacked but didn't care:classic_biggrin:.....I didn't exceed the weight limit.   I brought 3 pairs of jeans and did wear all 3. I brought 2 pair of black ones but those were for evenings.  I wore blue jeans every day for touring. So 5 pair....then I brought 2 dressier slacks as well. So I did bring a lot of bottoms.

My upcoming trips are a Caribbean cruise in January and then in April a TA crossing and I want to book a b2b so looking for a cruise since I will already be in Europe.

These 3 cruises are the beginning of BIG celebrations for me...…..I am retiring on

Dec 31st:classic_biggrin:

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Lois R said:

I overpacked but didn't care:classic_biggrin:.....I didn't exceed the weight limit.   I brought 3 pairs of jeans and did wear all 3. I brought 2 pair of black ones but those were for evenings.  I wore blue jeans every day for touring. So 5 pair....then I brought 2 dressier slacks as well. So I did bring a lot of bottoms.

My upcoming trips are a Caribbean cruise in January and then in April a TA crossing and I want to book a b2b so looking for a cruise since I will already be in Europe.

These 3 cruises are the beginning of BIG celebrations for me...…..I am retiring on

Dec 31st:classic_biggrin:

Lois, congrats on your retirement!!

I remember you as one of the first "regulars" on Cruise Critic that I chatted with -- and it was on these boards. Remember the days of Jane110 and Caviargal?

I still have another few years of work in front of me. Til then, I keep adding cruises and trips to my 'bucket list' that are too long for now....