Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Danijela

Anthem of the Seas Advice - Dad with Disability

Recommended Posts

Hi all

I was hoping someone could give me some feedback on RC Anthem of the Seas. My family just booked a cruise on this ship from Nov 23rd - Dec 1st (Thanksgiving Week) leaving Bayonne NJ to Orlando and the Bahamas. It is my and my siblings' first time cruising; my parents' second. Last cruise they went on was in the Mediterranean on Celebrity. 

Since then my dad unfortunately suffered a stroke and now has mobility issues on his left side. He can walk a little bit with a cane but heavily relies on a wheelchair. 

I was wondering if anyone that has been on this ship, or any RC cruise can advise on activities, either onboard or shore excursions, that might be suitable for him, especially if anyone has experience cruising with or with someone that has a disabilty. We have 3 staterooms booked on Deck 3 (one is accessible) and I saw that this deck has the main dining room, another restaurant (Chic), casino, and music hall, so he should have no problem accessing those. 

 

I know they also do some kind of Thanksgiving spread for the holiday.. I'm guessing this would be in the main dining room? I would love a sample menu if anyone could share.

 

I did a little research and found some info on this board specifically for Anthem, but I would greatly appreciate any other input/advice anyone could provide. We were thinking of checking out the Kennedy Space Center at Port Canaveral if that might not be too strenuous.. not sure about excursions in Nassau/CocoCay.

Side note: We will also be traveling with a 21 month old. I know they have a play area for babies/toddlers and my sister might take him to Disney if there is time. Do they have a kiddie pool onboard?

 

Sorry for the long post! I just want to make sure everyone enjoys this trip since it's the first family vacation we are taking in years. 

 

Thanks everyone

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Danijela said:

I know they also do some kind of Thanksgiving spread for the holiday.. I'm guessing this would be in the main dining room?

 

They should have a turkey dinner option on the main dining room menu.

 

13 minutes ago, Danijela said:

We were thinking of checking out the Kennedy Space Center at Port Canaveral if that might not be too strenuous..

 

As long as someone can push the wheelchair, you may want to do the DIY tour.  There is quite a bit of walking involved at KSC but it is wheelchair-accessible.

 

13 minutes ago, Danijela said:

Side note: We will also be traveling with a 21 month old. I know they have a play area for babies/toddlers and my sister might take him to Disney if there is time. Do they have a kiddie pool onboard?

 

Anthem does have a kiddle area with really shallow water for toddlers/kids to splash around in.  They usually will not allow swim diapers in that area, though.

 

This review from 2016 has some good photos of the pool deck:

 

I would also not recommend Disney during the Port Canaveral stop.  It's just too far from the cruise port and requires an hour-long bus ride each way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is our usual week, though this year we're doing 12/1-8.  Thanksgiving Day dinner in both the MDR and Windjammer will have turkey dinner as well as pumpkin pie.  The ship is pretty wheelchair friendly though you may have a little trouble at high traffic times, like when shows let out.  Shore excursions will really depend on what you like to do.  Enjoy your trip.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Danijela said:

I know they also do some kind of Thanksgiving spread for the holiday.. I'm guessing this would be in the main dining room? I would love a sample menu if anyone could share.

Welcome to CC

 

The RCI app may list it but since it's such a unique menu, you may not know exactly what will be on it till that day - yes, it will the be in the MDR.

 

BTW, Chic is one of the 4 venues which makes up the MDR on Anthem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, Danijela said:

Hi all

I was hoping someone could give me some feedback on RC Anthem of the Seas. My family just booked a cruise on this ship from Nov 23rd - Dec 1st (Thanksgiving Week) leaving Bayonne NJ to Orlando and the Bahamas. It is my and my siblings' first time cruising; my parents' second. Last cruise they went on was in the Mediterranean on Celebrity. 

Since then my dad unfortunately suffered a stroke and now has mobility issues on his left side. He can walk a little bit with a cane but heavily relies on a wheelchair. 

I was wondering if anyone that has been on this ship, or any RC cruise can advise on activities, either onboard or shore excursions, that might be suitable for him, especially if anyone has experience cruising with or with someone that has a disabilty. We have 3 staterooms booked on Deck 3 (one is accessible) and I saw that this deck has the main dining room, another restaurant (Chic), casino, and music hall, so he should have no problem accessing those. 

 

I know they also do some kind of Thanksgiving spread for the holiday.. I'm guessing this would be in the main dining room? I would love a sample menu if anyone could share.

 

I did a little research and found some info on this board specifically for Anthem, but I would greatly appreciate any other input/advice anyone could provide. We were thinking of checking out the Kennedy Space Center at Port Canaveral if that might not be too strenuous.. not sure about excursions in Nassau/CocoCay.

Side note: We will also be traveling with a 21 month old. I know they have a play area for babies/toddlers and my sister might take him to Disney if there is time. Do they have a kiddie pool onboard?

 

Sorry for the long post! I just want to make sure everyone enjoys this trip since it's the first family vacation we are taking in years. 

 

Thanks everyone

 

We were on the August 29th cruise which covered NE/Canada.  No a problem whatsoever for someone in a wheelchair.  My wife had her hip operated and basically need the wheelchair to move around the ship.  No problems in any or the restaurants or the theatre.  In the theatre, there's rows especially reserved for wheel chairs.  We had a balcony view cabin and the manual wheelchair fit the entry way with a mere inches to spare.  The  toilet is what we call "elongated" and my wife had no problem sitting and getting up.  The shower is small as there's no way to fall.:classic_biggrin:

 

During the day we spent our time in the Solarium and enjoyed the solitude.  We also took advantage of "North Star" the day we ported in St John.  They transferred my wife form her wheelchair to one of theirs and rode the elevator to the North Star.

 

RCL staff was ever so helpful on board and also in getting my wife and her wheelchair on and off the ship in the port of calls.

 

You should check your cruise planner if interested in any tours.  We used RCL for tours in Boston and Bar Harbor.  As mentioned, RCL staff was friendly and  helpful in helping us get on/off the ship.  Likewise,  the tour bus drivers were prompt in having the wheel chair ready available at each stop.  One of our tour in Boston was the Cape Cod tour and one of the stops was a boat ride of the Hyannis Port and the Kennedy compound.  It was amazing how the boat crew member navigating up this sloped ramp of about 15 feet in getting my wife and wheel chair on/off the boat.  Same experience in Bar Harbor tour of Acadia National Park and later a lobster dinner at a restaurant in town.

 

Also, be sure to sign up for disembarkation time assigned for those in wheelchairs/mobility problems.  We were assigned 7:30 AM and met by Jamie's Italian restaurant.  At the approximate time staff members of both RCL and  some working for the Port (?) met us and an individual was assigned to each of us and left the ship in a parade like environment.  Bayonne Customs/Security uses Facial Recognition Technology and it took us no more than 20 minutes to disembark, get our luggage, clear Customs and on to the garage.

 

Ps.  Enjoy the cruise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We traveled with my cousin who used a scooter and did just fine.   You might consider renting one from Royal.  He got around the ship just fine.  Elevators are a problem because there never seems to be any room to squeeze in.  We just grab any elevator that has room  no matter which way it is going.

The crew was very helpful getting him on and off the ship.  He did quite a few excursions, including a three hour tour of Antiqua.

We sailed one Thanksgiving, Turkey and all the extras  are on the menu.

Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In your Cruise Planner, under excursions, they do often have specific excursions listed as accessible tours, so this might be something that would make things a lot easier for your dad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Danijela said:

 

I was hoping someone could give me some feedback on RC Anthem of the Seas. My family just booked a cruise on this ship from Nov 23rd - Dec 1st (Thanksgiving Week) leaving Bayonne NJ to Orlando and the Bahamas. 

Let us know if the Anthem makes port in Orlando. It will be a first and will make cruising history.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Danijela said:

Hi all

I was hoping someone could give me some feedback on RC Anthem of the Seas. My family just booked a cruise on this ship from Nov 23rd - Dec 1st (Thanksgiving Week) leaving Bayonne NJ to Orlando and the Bahamas. It is my and my siblings' first time cruising; my parents' second. Last cruise they went on was in the Mediterranean on Celebrity. 

Since then my dad unfortunately suffered a stroke and now has mobility issues on his left side. He can walk a little bit with a cane but heavily relies on a wheelchair. 

I was wondering if anyone that has been on this ship, or any RC cruise can advise on activities, either onboard or shore excursions, that might be suitable for him, especially if anyone has experience cruising with or with someone that has a disabilty. We have 3 staterooms booked on Deck 3 (one is accessible) and I saw that this deck has the main dining room, another restaurant (Chic), casino, and music hall, so he should have no problem accessing those. 

 

I know they also do some kind of Thanksgiving spread for the holiday.. I'm guessing this would be in the main dining room? I would love a sample menu if anyone could share.

 

I did a little research and found some info on this board specifically for Anthem, but I would greatly appreciate any other input/advice anyone could provide. We were thinking of checking out the Kennedy Space Center at Port Canaveral if that might not be too strenuous.. not sure about excursions in Nassau/CocoCay.

Side note: We will also be traveling with a 21 month old. I know they have a play area for babies/toddlers and my sister might take him to Disney if there is time. Do they have a kiddie pool onboard?

 

Sorry for the long post! I just want to make sure everyone enjoys this trip since it's the first family vacation we are taking in years. 

 

Thanks everyone

 

I was on for Thanksgiving two years ago. The dinner on the MDR was disappointing. I got ham and DH got turkey. We would have made out better going to windjammer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, nelblu said:

 

We were on the August 29th cruise which covered NE/Canada.  No a problem whatsoever for someone in a wheelchair.  My wife had her hip operated and basically need the wheelchair to move around the ship.  No problems in any or the restaurants or the theatre.  In the theatre, there's rows especially reserved for wheel chairs.  We had a balcony view cabin and the manual wheelchair fit the entry way with a mere inches to spare.  The  toilet is what we call "elongated" and my wife had no problem sitting and getting up.  The shower is small as there's no way to fall.:classic_biggrin:

 

During the day we spent our time in the Solarium and enjoyed the solitude.  We also took advantage of "North Star" the day we ported in St John.  They transferred my wife form her wheelchair to one of theirs and rode the elevator to the North Star.

 

RCL staff was ever so helpful on board and also in getting my wife and her wheelchair on and off the ship in the port of calls.

 

You should check your cruise planner if interested in any tours.  We used RCL for tours in Boston and Bar Harbor.  As mentioned, RCL staff was friendly and  helpful in helping us get on/off the ship.  Likewise,  the tour bus drivers were prompt in having the wheel chair ready available at each stop.  One of our tour in Boston was the Cape Cod tour and one of the stops was a boat ride of the Hyannis Port and the Kennedy compound.  It was amazing how the boat crew member navigating up this sloped ramp of about 15 feet in getting my wife and wheel chair on/off the boat.  Same experience in Bar Harbor tour of Acadia National Park and later a lobster dinner at a restaurant in town.

 

Also, be sure to sign up for disembarkation time assigned for those in wheelchairs/mobility problems.  We were assigned 7:30 AM and met by Jamie's Italian restaurant.  At the approximate time staff members of both RCL and  some working for the Port (?) met us and an individual was assigned to each of us and left the ship in a parade like environment.  Bayonne Customs/Security uses Facial Recognition Technology and it took us no more than 20 minutes to disembark, get our luggage, clear Customs and on to the garage.

 

Ps.  Enjoy the cruise.

 

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. Embarkment/disembarkment was actually another concern I forgot to include, so thank you for mentioning that. Are you also able to assign an embarkment time?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

Let us know if the Anthem makes port in Orlando. It will be a first and will make cruising history.

 

  :classic_laugh:  lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Royal is very good about working with passengers with disabilities!  Very understanding and polite and caring!

 

It is our fellow cruisers you need to watch out for:

 

I cannot tell you the number of times people have literally run me down and knocked me over, ended up on my lap, tried to step over me, tried to cut in front me trying to "race" ahead, jostled me roughly, and then look at me like I am the problem as I try to maneuver my wheelchair to be out of the way of the general crowd.  Thank goodness my DH and DS watch out for me as they have learned as well.  They are my advocates (politely) as it can be get really old being run over.

 

Several times, I have had people grab my cane thinking it was their own (now put brightly colored ribbons on the cane along with panda stickers and my name in sparkly stickers; that has cut down on the cane grabs!  Airports are the worst!  

 

Just keep a smile on your face and be patient and respectful.  

 

I am sure there are people with disabilities that cause issues as well.  I am only referencing my personal experiences as a disabled person.  I have not knowingly been mean to fellow passengers. I am sure I have had a brain fart and cut someone off but I try to be conscious and apologize when I do it.   Usually it adults (not children or teens) that are such in a hurry to get some where---please do your research and plan accordingly.  Most excursions give you a wonderful definition of what is accessible and what is not.

 

Leave plenty of time to arrive at your destination because you might be waiting a some time for an elevator or for the crowd to die down so one can maneuver. I cannot stress that enough!!!!!  Plan Plan Plan!

 

Enjoy!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AshleyDillo said:

 

They should have a turkey dinner option on the main dining room menu.

 

 

As long as someone can push the wheelchair, you may want to do the DIY tour.  There is quite a bit of walking involved at KSC but it is wheelchair-accessible.

 

 

Anthem does have a kiddle area with really shallow water for toddlers/kids to splash around in.  They usually will not allow swim diapers in that area, though.

 

This review from 2016 has some good photos of the pool deck:

 

I would also not recommend Disney during the Port Canaveral stop.  It's just too far from the cruise port and requires an hour-long bus ride each way.

 

Wow thank you very much for sharing. Such a great and detailed review. That was very kind of him to put together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a "cruising with disability" forum here.....those folks can give GREAT info!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, cb at sea said:

There is a "cruising with disability" forum here.....those folks can give GREAT info!

 

Hi cb, I was actually just reading that forum now! I think I will post there as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anthem does have a "swim diaper" splash area, as do all Oasis, Quantum, and Freedom class RCI ships, and some of the Voyager class.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Danijela said:

 

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. Embarkment/disembarkment was actually another concern I forgot to include, so thank you for mentioning that. Are you also able to assign an embarkment time?

We were in a special area for Paxs with mobility issues and boarded via a separate entrance than normal Paxs.  The holding area is to the left as you pass thru security.

 

 

We checked in at about 10AM and boarded about an hour later.  Cabins were not available .1:30PM, however, we snuck in at 1 as the emergency door leading to our cabin on the 12th deck was unlocked.  By the way, the cabin key/sea pass is awaiting in/by the cabin

Edited by nelblu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ladytaekwondo said:

Leave plenty of time to arrive at your destination because you might be waiting a some time for an elevator or for the crowd to die down so one can maneuver. I cannot stress that enough!!!!!  Plan Plan Plan!

 

Enjoy!

 

 

Just a clue when dealing with elevators on all of RCL ships.  Take the elevators to the opposite of what the general public takes.  For instance if everyone is going up, take the elevators down and then up.  Conversely...……….:classic_rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Holiday Exchange - Jingle and Mingle 2019
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...