New ship

The Bullingdon Club

38 minutes ago, oskidunker said:

Italy. Uh oh. A mega ship probably

Perhaps not quite a "mega ship" by the standards of some of the other behemoths out there, but large nonetheless.

We've known the general specs since this new build was first announced in September 2017. 113,000 GT and 3,000 passengers.

Being built by Fincantieri. Scheduled for completion in 2022, perhaps August.

In case anyone hasn't yet seen the mock-up of what this new build is going to look like, here's Cunard's illustration.

cunard-new-ship.jpg.image.1440.523.high.

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

Perhaps not quite a "mega ship" by the standards of some of the other behemoths out there, but large nonetheless.

We've known the general specs since this new build was first announced in September 2017. 113,000 GT and 3,000 passengers.

Being built by Fincantieri. Scheduled for completion in 2022, perhaps August.

In case anyone hasn't yet seen the mock-up of what this new build is going to look like, here's Cunard's illustration.

cunard-new-ship.jpg.image.1440.523.high.

40,000 GT less than QM2, and about 500 more passengers. That doesn't sound like a lot of fun. From the drawing it seems to have more decks as well, and it looks a bit top heavy forward. Not a mega ship, just a bigger sister to QV and QE. 

Externally similar to Konigsdam, although you can expect Cunard to do a better job on the public spaces than HAL does.

I hope they put a sliding roof over the midships. After being on a couple of HAL ships that had one it seems like on oversight on QE and QV.

From Cunards renderings it does no look like we get a propper Prommenade Deck- almost a Trademarkt for Cunard ships.

Same as it was for HAL- but the new ships like Koningdam and Niuew Amsterdam lack a Prommenade Deck- more´s the pity!

Let´s not drown the cat before it is even born and cross fingers- Cunard does a better job than HAL.

I doubt that their shiny new bauble will be placed so far from Southampton right off the bat, but perhaps if people vote with their wallets and feet to register their opinion about the new ship's worthiness to have the title of Cunarder, the ship might end up exclusively in Far East service. I think it's fairly clear that one ship will spend most of it's time in the far east.

3 hours ago, davyjones said:

Hopefully Cunard will stick the new ship out in the Far East / Pacific rim and bring back QE so we can have a proper Cunard cruise schedule out of the UK like ye-olde days.

DJ

And more options for those of us on this side of The Pond.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Underwatr said:

Externally similar to Konigsdam, although you can expect Cunard to do a better job on the public spaces than HAL does.

I hope they put a sliding roof over the midships. After being on a couple of HAL ships that had one it seems like on oversight on QE and QV.

That was my reaction to the midship pool on QE. It's nice to be able to relax by the pool, even when it's chilly or rainy. But that space seemed smaller than it is on the HAL Vistas, probably because of the enclosed space of the Winter Garden. HAL doesn't have that enclosed area. Not sure there's enough space for a sliding roof on QE. 

Here's the latest from Cunard's facebook page.

"We are pleased to let you know that we are in Naples to celebrate the start of the build of our new ship. Our steel cutting ceremony will take place tomorrow morning at Fincantieri shipyard.

#CUN4RD"

• Like 1

Alright, time to place our final bets. Do we think it will be a royal name (Most likely Queen Anne) or a dark horse throwback to Cunard's -ia names of the past? Logically, it makes sense to stick with their current marketing brand of the Queens, but based on previous chatter, I have a feeling we may be in for a surprise. 

2 minutes ago, OceanLinerGeek24 said:

Alright, time to place our final bets. Do we think it will be a royal name (Most likely Queen Anne) or a dark horse throwback to Cunard's -ia names of the past? Logically, it makes sense to stick with their current marketing brand of the Queens, but based on previous chatter, I have a feeling we may be in for a surprise. 

It is already named and has been for some time on a website for new builds as Queen Anne

45 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

It is already named and has been for some time on a website for new builds as Queen Anne

It's not been officially named by Cunard-- everything out there is just a well placed guess. Personally I'd like to see a 3rd Mauretania but will concede thats most likely a long shot. Queen Anne is pretty silly-- the ships Queen Mary and Elizabeth, while officially named for their Tudor predecessors, were absolutely a nod to the contemporary Queens-- George V's wife and the Queen Mother. Queen Anne is just marketing fluff. 

A nice "-ia" throwback name would certainly help me look past how absolutely ugly this new ship is though...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

I'll see your Queen Anne and raise you another Cunard-leaked page that suggests it may be named Halifax (as the ship is designated on a briefing slide as the first of the "Halifax Class").

But it's probably Queen Anne, I agree 

1 hour ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Not sure there's enough space for a sliding roof on QE. 

There is if the Winter Garden is rejiggered (assuming one has the opportunity to start from scratch). I was on ms Eurodam about 18 months ago and her similarity to QE/QV was apparent, especially in the Lido & midships area (much less so in the flow of public spaces on lower decks). If they wanted to have a functional roof over the midship pool it could be built at Fincantieri.  But it does raise the question of why I've never seen the roof open on the QM2's midships pool...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Underwatr said:

There is if the Winter Garden is rejiggered (assuming one has the opportunity to start from scratch). I was on ms Eurodam about 18 months ago and her similarity to QE/QV was apparent, especially in the Lido & midships area (much less so in the flow of public spaces on lower decks). If they wanted to have a functional roof over the midship pool it could be built at Fincantieri.  But it does raise the question of why I've never seen the roof open on the QM2's midships pool...

On those windy mid atlantic days. the closed pool is a pleasure to be in. I have actually seen the roof open, but it was a long time ago. 

9 minutes ago, Bigmike911 said:

On those windy mid atlantic days. the closed pool is a pleasure to be in. I have actually seen the roof open, but it was a long time ago. 

Having been to Alaska on ms Amsterdam, I think it's crazy not to have a covered pool on that route.

Hi, 

I'm looking forward to seeing the deck plans for the new ship. It will be interesting to see what changes Cunard makes to the basic Koningsdam design. Also, the addition of a fourth ship should enable Cunard to offer a broader range of itineraries.

Chuck

6 hours ago, majortom10 said:

If there was any realism in “The Favorite”, as a representation of the competence and value of Queen Anne (the sorry end to the Stuart dynasty), the pictures which show a sort of mini Heffalump of the Seas (a la Royal Caribbean) indicate it is a fitting name for the death of a tradition.

19 hours ago, Germancruiser said:

From Cunards renderings it does no look like we get a propper Prommenade Deck- almost a Trademarkt for Cunard ships.

Same as it was for HAL- but the new ships like Koningdam and Niuew Amsterdam lack a Prommenade Deck- more´s the pity!

Let´s not drown the cat before it is even born and cross fingers- Cunard does a better job than HAL.

I've not been on the Holland America Koningsdam yet, but from the deck plan the ship appears to indeed have a full promenade deck.  And it already has a "Queen's Lounge"!

Koningsdam Promenade Deck.JPG

Edited by rolfecms

As the new ship looks like it is more of a cruise ship than a liner, maybe Cunard will go for something line Halifax so as not to devalue the Queen names.  Maybe that is wishful thinking on my part.

We have had cruise ships in the past, Cunard Countess, Cunard Princess, Cunard Crown, Royal Viking Sun, and others.

On 10/10/2019 at 6:51 AM, The Bullingdon Club said:

It looks like details on the new ship are coming soon....

‘Excitement is building as we get ready to mark an important moment in our history. Please join us over the next few days as we share updates live from Italy...

#CUN4RD‘

The important moment is the steel-cutting ceremony. I read it on twitter via the hashtag 'Cun4rd'. At Fincantieri ship yard.

1 hour ago, rolfecms said:

I've not been on the Holland America Koningsdam yet, but from the deck plan the ship appears to indeed have a full promenade deck.  And it already has a "Queen's Lounge"!

Koningsdam Promenade Deck.JPG

I've sailed on NIEUW STATENDAM, the newer sister ship of KONINGSDAM.  I quite enjoyed the ship but regarding the promenade deck, yes it exists but it's just a narrow walkway behind the lifeboats with no view.  There are a couple spots with open views but not many.  It's not a traditional promenade deck with seating like on the other Cunard ships.  More of just a walkway.  

• Like 1