Cruise Critic Community
BWIVince

Reflections on OCS190917-11 (Huh?) [9/17 YVR-LAX]

10 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Still remember a Crystal cruise out of Florida when a number of folks were complaining that they had to wait until 6pm for dinner.  Apparently, at their "point in life", they were regularly having dinner at home at 5pm or so, and they didn't like this delay.

IIRC, some other luxury lines don't open their MDR until even later than 6pm.

You do know that the state bird of Florida is the Early Bird, right?

Heck, they could eat at Trident at 5 pm!

Edited by May B

32 minutes ago, May B said:

You do know that the state bird of Florida is the Early Bird, right?

Heck, they could eat at Trident at 5 pm!

Happy Hour in my retirement neighborhood starts at 2:00 or 3:00.  I have friends that want to meet for "Linner" at 3 or dinner at 5.  I tell them they have to wait until I am at least collecting Social Security and retired. We moved our dinner hour to 7pm when we moved here to Palm Desert, but when we lived in LA 8:00 was not uncommon.

6 hours ago, Roland4 said:

Especially since Monica and I will be cruising with Terry and Kerry, and we have been known to take LOTS of food pictures!!!😁 And gin & tonic pictures. And martini pictures. And, well, you get the idea!!😉

Unfortunately for all of you....I prefer to just EAT my food and DRINK my cocktails and forget about the pics.  I could submit photos of empty plates.

I remember the old dialog from the TV show "Cheers":

(Norm enters the bar and is walking to his regular bar stool)

Woody:  "How's a beer sound Mr. Peterson?"

Norm:  "I don't know Woody.  Never let them sit around long enough for them to say anything."

🙂

Also my last comment about the lines.  On the Holiday Cruise when they had the long line the first day we were on that line.  Got down and we were standing at the shore ex desk.  Once we were seated (only a few minutes) because as Larry correctly said this still only represented a portion of Waterside there were no issues. Waitstaff not rushed.  Plenty of time to talk with them.  No issues and far less intensity then back in the day of two fixed dining times.  Spot on Larry.  Oh, and I am glad to be an early diner.  Choice is good and I am happy that Crystal has a nice range of dining times.  And after the first long line we just adjusted what time we arrived.  Easy - Peasy.

Now to the important things. Vince, those photos like your ones from last year are terrific.  I love them and the presentations look great of the food and the drink(s) 😀with the appetizers look great too.    We are very fortunate to have Umi Uma under the direction of Nobu on Crystal Voyages.  

Keep the food photos coming.  Yes, hopefully no controversies on that.  But I wouldn't hold my breath.  😎

Keith

1 hour ago, Keith1010 said:

Keep the food photos coming.  Yes, hopefully no controversies on that.  But I wouldn't hold my breath.  😎

Keith

I think you’ll find there are!!!    Food photography in restaurants has been controversial within the business for many years now and whilst I only stay abreast of European developments, the topic even featured in the NYT way back in 2013.  

https://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/23/dining/restaurants-turn-camera-shy.html?pagewanted=2&_r=3&smid=tw-nytimes&src=twr&adxnnlx=1359057670-45fINuDtO0JAWBcf9ccE3g

I’m a keen hobby photographer and have a dedicated camera for indoor/non flash use, but even for me, dinner table photography, unless I’m on my own or need a specific shot to illustrate a point/blog post, etc., is a no no... 

Anne...

Edited by Jayayeff

9 hours ago, BWIVince said:

Sorry!  At least you're lucky enough to have another cruise booked, and soon!  I still have to figure out how to generate some more cash before Crystal will let me book again.  :classic_dry:  Adulting is hard.

That was!  :classic_smile:  ...And I was stuffed as it was, mostly because I just ate a few hours before that, and a few hours before that.  I'm very proud of your friend though -- that's how to do it!

I did do one of my tackiest moves that I do on Crystal though...  If there is leftover sake in the bottle, and no one else at the table will drink it, I'll fill my sake glass and take it back to my room with me to finish.  I just can't let it go to waste.

Nancy -- I can't wait to sail with you (and Patty, and Brian, etc.) again!!  It's so much more fun cruising with friends.

Vince

Vince, the last thing I would want to do is ask a question that causes any embarrassment but I can't resist inquiring whether the tumbler in the background of your dessert photo is the one that contains all the left over sake....? If so, respect! 😛 

We shall be back on Symphony in a couple of weeks and definitely will not be in any queue for early dining - even though your first photo seemed to show a server providing snacks, presumably to avoid any fainting episodes! Adrian

First I'm one of those old people who eat dinner at 5:00 pm when home (ok maybe 5:15) so eating at 6 on our last cruise (May- June) was late for us but really not a problem.   We saw some lines at 6 when Waterside opened but not as long as the picture indicates but everything moved quickly.   After we had "picked" our wait staff and table we asked for it a few times and then when we got up to the front of the line - we were told which table - our pick.   Worked out great.

We weren't in favor of open seating but after the first few cruises it seemed to work out great.   A typical Crystal experience where great staff just makes things work

Vince, I think you need to alter your dining routine - I'm worried you're limiting your dinner menu items. I think Glen and I consumed about double the amount you had at Umi Uma. Not sure if I should be embarrassed about that 🙂. Glad to see though that you enjoyed evening cocktails and can't wait for further instalments. 

12 hours ago, Noggins said:

We shall be back on Symphony in a couple of weeks

Adrian, I still remember the very witty and wonderful live blog you did on a Crystal cruise a while back - can we hope for another live blog when you sail in a couple of weeks?

23 minutes ago, ClefsDor said:

I think Glen and I consumed about double the amount you had at Umi Uma.

...and admittedly, I have walked out with sake in hand as well, much to the embarrassment of Shirin. I agree Vince, a shame to let it go to waste.

Did you have any Aviation cocktails?

Shirin and Glen,

while you know I didn't take food Picts in Umi Uma and most my other meals,  Larry and I ate very well there and I drank the wonderful Chardonnay and sake.  Well, maybe Larry had a bit too!!!  We're all on the same page!!  :classic_biggrin:  We ate and drank well in all venues.

I can confirm that Vince enjoyed his meals and libations!!!  :classic_biggrin::classic_smile:.  , I'm not sure about our 2 hours too long Ketichikan excursion.  However, the foodie excursion we all took in SF was excellent and fun.

Nancy

Edited by nancygp

I could kill for the Yellowtail with Jalapeno,   Thanks for the photo's...

I might have to call my TA and book a short one out of FL...   🙂

I never witnessed the lineup for Waterside.  Anyone with one eye could have predicted a 6 PM rush hour.   By far, the most elderly and strangest group of passengers.  Very few looked like they knew anything about Crystal.  We did see a couple during lunch a few times.  Very attractive, well dressed, Crystal regulars and totally out of place with the surrounding crowd.

Three dinners in Waterside.   All food  very good.  Service wise we sat with the A team first evening, B team second and D for the third.  Appeared to be many new employees.  First Crystal cruise that I did not recognize a single crew or passenger.  It's my second on Symphony versus approx eighteen on Serenity.   Disembarked in San Francisco as did approx 100 crew.

I've done this route several times between Seabourn and Crystal.  It's a cheap seat.

13 hours ago, ClefsDor said:

Vince, I think you need to alter your dining routine - I'm worried you're limiting your dinner menu items. I think Glen and I consumed about double the amount you had at Umi Uma. Not sure if I should be embarrassed about that 🙂. Glad to see though that you enjoyed evening cocktails and can't wait for further instalments. 

Adrian, I still remember the very witty and wonderful live blog you did on a Crystal cruise a while back - can we hope for another live blog when you sail in a couple of weeks?

Witty?!

That's not what my wife said...

We'll have to see - but cruising with new to Crystal Canadian friends is liable to give rise to some new and potentially amusing observations.....

Adrian

On 10/10/2019 at 2:00 AM, ChatKat in Ca. said:

Was there a Bridge Group on board?  Not the regular one Crystal puts on but the one that is put on for ACBL with the instructors and an evening game?  They eat early and run to the night game and are quite rushed....that would cause this.

Oh, Oh!!! We are booked on the last two segments of the 2020 WC....March 20 to April 21. That very large "Bridge Group"is booked for the Mar.20 to Apr.03.segment.

If I remember correctly, which I don't always do, it was, on occasion, difficult to make reservations in the specialty dining rooms.

Since we normally do not eat till 7pm at home, we rarely run into line ups and if there is one we just wait in the Crystal Cove Bar.

Thank you Vince for starting this line,. I am enjoying your writings as well as all the comments.

Oh well, Ray and I will still have a great time, as life is too short to get your knickers in a knot!

Cheers,

Pat

Edited by SnoBirdCruiser

Keith wrote:

"By the way no different than getting off the ship in port.   Some will wait on a line before the ship is cleared and others won't. 

Some will wait on a line to get a spot at the Sushi Bar and some won't.

Some will wait on a line at the airport to board.  Others won't.

Same goes on on land such as going to the theatre or to a museum. 

And most importantly some will wait for one hour or more on a line at Disney to go on a ride that is over in less than five minutes.  Go figure"

LOL Keith, I have done most of these line ups...It is Ray who has no patience with any line ups, with the exception of Disney ones. Say hi to Anne Marie for us...She is looking fantastic!

Cheers,

Pat

57 minutes ago, SnoBirdCruiser said:

Oh, Oh!!! We are booked on the last two segments of the 2020 WC....March 20 to April 21. That very large "Bridge Group"is booked for the Mar.20 to Apr.03.segment.

If I remember correctly, which I don't always do, it was, on occasion, difficult to make reservations in the specialty dining rooms.

Since we normally do not eat till 7pm at home, we rarely run into line ups and if there is one we just wait in the Crystal Cove Bar.

Thank you Vince for starting this line,. I am enjoying your writings as well as all the comments.

Oh well, Ray and I will still have a great time, as life is too short to get your knickers in a knot!

Cheers,

Pat

Pat, I really wouldn't have any concerns with this.

Not sure how large they will be given that there are a lot of people on the full or multiple world cruise segments on board.

They won't have priority on the specialty restaurants.

On occasion they might do something in Silk for a large group (key words are on occasion) but they aren't tying up specialty restaurants.  They also have stardust which accommodates large groups for the actual bridge but also gives some flexibility should they want to arrange some type of group function.

They will likely carve out a section in Waterside for them as well as they have been doing for various groups.

On Serenity they really do great with having groups on board and if you didn't happen to stumble onto it you might not know.  For example, a large wine group on board and I only learned about it because I was playing Paddle Tennis with one of the owners adult sons who told me about the wine group being on-board and was very kind to tell me to ask for a complimentary bottle of their wine.  Met someone from a bridge group earlier in the year and I hadn't realized there was not only one but I think three bride groups on board until they told me.

Best to you and Ray.

Keith

Thanks Keith, deep down I know this, and since I can roll with most things,I know it will be as wonderful a cruise as all the World Cruises, both full as well as the segments we now do, will be.

Hope to see you soon....Did I send you our new email address?

Cheers Pat

If I may, mass market cruisers are used to rushing to be first in line for anything and everything. Looking at those line-up photos I noticed some folks dressed like they do on mass market lines. I'd expect that was the issue. It's been said here before that certain sailings attract new-to-Crystal cruisers and I suspect this was one of those.

In any case, this Crystal neophyte is looking forward to being amazed by everything Crystal in less than a month!

36 minutes ago, SnoBirdCruiser said:

Thanks Keith, deep down I know this, and since I can roll with most things,I know it will be as wonderful a cruise as all the World Cruises, both full as well as the segments we now do, will be.

Hope to see you soon....Did I send you our new email address?

Cheers Pat

Pat, I can't find the new one.  I do have the old one.  If you can send to me that would be great.

Thank you.

Keith

36 minutes ago, fyree39 said:

If I may, mass market cruisers are used to rushing to be first in line for anything and everything. Looking at those line-up photos I noticed some folks dressed like they do on mass market lines. I'd expect that was the issue. It's been said here before that certain sailings attract new-to-Crystal cruisers and I suspect this was one of those.

In any case, this Crystal neophyte is looking forward to being amazed by everything Crystal in less than a month!

maybe it was casual night on Crystal?

I understood that you no longer had to wear suits & fancy dress to dinner most nights ..is that incorrect?

I would not want to be classed as mass market  😱

Most people in the photo looked like they were dressed appropriately

On 10/12/2019 at 11:06 AM, Noggins said:

Witty?!

That's not what my wife said...

We'll have to see - but cruising with new to Crystal Canadian friends is liable to give rise to some new and potentially amusing observations.....

Adrian

Adrian

Even though I cruised with you last time and will be doing likewise this time, I too very much look forward to seeing your thoughts again !!

Colin

39 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I understood that you no longer had to wear suits & fancy dress to dinner most nights ..is that incorrect?

It was a casual night..9 out of the 11 nights were casual with 2 black tie optional nights.  Overall, guests dressed accordingly

Nancy 

2 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Mostly people are indeed dressed appropriately in the photos. I just noticed jeans on one person and an untucked shirt on another. That's considered formal wear on Carnival. :classic_ninja:

5 minutes ago, fyree39 said:

Mostly people are indeed dressed appropriately in the photos. I just noticed jeans on one person and an untucked shirt on another. That's considered formal wear on Carnival. :classic_ninja:

I guess your eyes are much better than mine  🔍

On 10/11/2019 at 3:01 AM, Jayayeff said:

I think you’ll find there are!!!    Food photography in restaurants has been controversial within the business for many years now and whilst I only stay abreast of European developments, the topic even featured in the NYT way back in 2013.  

https://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/23/dining/restaurants-turn-camera-shy.html?pagewanted=2&_r=3&smid=tw-nytimes&src=twr&adxnnlx=1359057670-45fINuDtO0JAWBcf9ccE3g

I’m a keen hobby photographer and have a dedicated camera for indoor/non flash use, but even for me, dinner table photography, unless I’m on my own or need a specific shot to illustrate a point/blog post, etc., is a no no... 

Anne...

Fortunately, this is something that has obviously changed a lot since 2013.  Lol.  You see this both with Crystal’s social media efforts that center around foodie topics (including footage of their guest chefs and culinary crew doing food photography in the footage), as well as on social media as a whole (especially Instagram).  Despite my reputation here, I actually rarely do food photography outside of travel,  but I live in a town with a surprisingly noted food culture for its small size, and we are actively encouraged by our noted restaurants to take and share food pictures.  When I posted my first travel food pictures on IG earlier this year, I was immediately followed by the owners or managers of our top two restaurants in town and messaged encouraging me to keep going and do more.

I’m sure there are a lot of people out that that won’t get it, and that’s fine, but food photography is quite a thing these days.

On 10/11/2019 at 3:29 AM, Noggins said:

Vince, the last thing I would want to do is ask a question that causes any embarrassment but I can't resist inquiring whether the tumbler in the background of your dessert photo is the one that contains all the left over sake....? If so, respect! 😛 

We shall be back on Symphony in a couple of weeks and definitely will not be in any queue for early dining - even though your first photo seemed to show a server providing snacks, presumably to avoid any fainting episodes! Adrian

I wish!!  You are so much smarter than me — I just filled up the sake glass, but now I realize I could have walked out with the water glass filled with sake instead!  =slapping forehead=

Vince