Cruise Critic Community
BWIVince

Reflections on OCS190917-11 (Huh?) [9/17 YVR-LAX]

7 hours ago, Nicho99 said:

..... discovered this great amber.  Maybe the best balanced beer I have ever tasted. 

As Nancy mentioned, there were three varieties of Alaskan beer offered.

I noticed your handle was in CA.   I believe Alaskan is sold in local BevMo stores.

mike

Ok, just some quick pics from Prego, since I already covered Umi Uma.  Nothing any different about my meal on this trip than I can remember from others -- just a little busier in there compared to my last two visits to Prego at 6:30 from my last two cruises.

Apologies in advance for the bad lighting...  I'm always a little challenged with the lighting in both Prego and Umi Uma, and of course I'd never use flash.  I don't want to adjust the photos much either, so they're a little more off than most of my food photos.

These are four of my favorites -- it's hard to give them up to try other things, but I would do something different on a second visit  the same cruise -- or at least I tell myself that.

The Beef Carpaccio (as presented, before tableside enhancements):

48897969297_4794f19c40_c.jpg

...and after all four steps are complete:

48897774546_400903fcd4_c.jpg

The Lobster and Octopus (Poached Cold Water Lobster Medallion & Slow Steamed and Compressed Octopus with Crisp Shallots and Olive-Thyme Vinaigrette) :

48897240198_1811e69d6f_c.jpg

Lavender Roasted Duck Breast (Balsamic Cherries, Chestnut Cappuccino, Salsify and Poached Radish) :

48897968367_b60de1544a_c.jpg

Affogato (Espresso-Flavored Lady Fingers, Layered with Light Mascarpone Cheese & Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream) -- As the waiter is pouring the hot water over the coffee grounds:

48897969032_9cace3ee66_c.jpg

...and the final product:

48897240288_595f7ca13d_c.jpg

It's a riff on tiramisu with the same flavor profiles, but as an affogato.

Vince

On 10/13/2019 at 12:01 PM, ChansonDeLaMer said:

I miss some of the cocktails that were once standards. I too was met with blank stares on our last cruise. The Bacarazz (sp?) was one of my favorites.  After insisting they must have a recipe for it somewhere, I gave them a rough idea of how to make it.  The bartender gave it all his effort, but the result tasted like cherry KoolAid. .....

Ah.... the Bacarazz :)

Have drank quite a few....   mixed by my favorite bartender, Teo (wish him all the best!)          He gave me the recipe:   well, here's the ingredients:

muddle fresh raspberries

add fresh cranberry juice

mix with Bacardi Razz  (raspberry infused rum)

toast:   a votre sante !

thumbnail.jpg

10 hours ago, Nicho99 said:

I too was on the 9/17 Symphony sailing and discovered this great amber.  Maybe the best balanced beer I have ever tasted.

The Alaskan Amber (along with their other beers) are available in much of the western USA.  Some spots in the east as well.

Although this is their flagship offering, they have a great range of other styles.

I was disappointed on our cruise in August (Serenity) that affogato was not served in Prego. It’s my favorite dessert and I’ve always loved their presentation. I hope they bring it back!

3 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

What is it they put on the carpaccio?

It comes from the galley with a mustard sauce (that's the cross-cross) and the capers, and then the waiter squeezes the lemon (with two forks), drizzles on balsamic vinegar and olive oil, and then grates (some variation of) parmesan cheese on it.  You can always have the waiter customize as you wish, but I highly recommend trying it with the above at least once.

Mike -- I'm hoping few people opt out of the pictures from the M&M, I'd love to see them.  I missed it because it was scheduled in the middle of dinner for us, but I know there's no "good" time for it so I understand.  Thanks for taking the pics!

Vince

6 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

What is it they put on the carpaccio?

Aged Balsamic vinegar, and finely grated Parmesan Cheese,some times I get the thn slices of the cheese.

I love Prego's version so much I take a copy of the Carpaccio to restaurants that serve it and I ask them to duplicate it......and they do, right down to the very expensive balsamic.

P.S. Try a bit of balsamic over Vanilla Ice Cream, awesome!!!

Enjoy Prego's

Pat

2 minutes ago, BWIVince said:

It comes from the galley with a mustard sauce (that's the cross-cross) and the capers, and then the waiter squeezes the lemon (with two forks), drizzles on balsamic vinegar and olive oil, and then grates (some variation of) parmesan cheese on it.  You can always have the waiter customize as you wish, but I highly recommend trying it with the above at least once.

Vince

Thank you

I dislike mustard  YUCK!!  😁

1 minute ago, LHT28 said:

Thank you

It really doesn't taste like mustard.

Ask the waiter to bring a small taste to you and try it, you may be surprised.

Cheers Pat

15 hours ago, BWIVince said:

Definitely -- I live in Frederick now but I grew up in the Montgomery County suburbs.  Living in Frederick was a big adjustment for me at first, but we have an amazing food scene now with both interesting restaurants and really cool suppliers popping up to support that demand.  On the beverage side we seemed to have jumped from microbreweries (which we still have stacked side-by-side in some places) to boutique distilleries with some really interesting products.

It's great to see more [former] Merl'yners here!  :classic_smile: 

Vince

We lived in Mount Airy for 10+ years, and my DW's dad ran two Sleep away Camps in Thurmont, so we know Fredrick as Fred-neck...  🙂   Hope to meet you in the future!

1 hour ago, SnoBirdCruiser said:

I have had Prego's carpaccio numerous times, and I did not realize it was mustard sauce until I read it here.  That is how much it does not taste like mustard.  Regardless, it is wonderful.

Karen

2 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Thank you

2 hours ago, SnoBirdCruiser said:

Ask the waiter to bring a small taste to you and try it, you may be surprised.

Cheers Pat

+1, Pat!  It’s not like they squirt French’s on the top of it, or anything.  The sauce adds a richer tang than the balsamic and is one of the keys to its success, IMHO.  I still recommend trying it — the mustard is VERY subtle, but important.

Paul — what a small word!  I hope to meet you and your wife as well!

Vince

4 minutes ago, BWIVince said:

+1, Pat!  It’s not like they squirt French’s on the top of it, or anything.  The sauce adds a richer tang than the balsamic and is one of the keys to its success, IMHO.  I still recommend trying it — the mustard is VERY subtle, but important.

Maybe will ask for a taste of the  sauce 1st 

I have had carpaccio with chili oil  & it was tasty  but not with balsamic 

could be interesting

13 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Maybe will ask for a taste of the  sauce 1st 

I have had carpaccio with chili oil  & it was tasty  but not with balsamic 

could be interesting

This is the first time I knew that it was mustard. Also, tasting the sauce by itself won't give you the correct taste. It requires the combination of all the ingredients to achieve the sublime taste.

Patty

+1. I didn’t realize it was mustard either. I don’t care for mustard and I love this dish. 

+2!!! :classic_smile:   I also ordered the cappacio on the same cruise...first time in many years as I tend to order items in Prego that I generally don't have in land-based Italian restaurants.  It was soooooo  good.

Nancy

20 hours ago, BWIVince said:

You can dine early with me anytime, Jon!

Definitely -- I live in Frederick now but I grew up in the Montgomery County suburbs. 

Vince

Vince, huh, with your handle, I had you pegged for Howard county.  Guess I should have aimed a bit farther to the west. 

Lovely food shots, Vince from Prego's! I've never seen the affogato/tiramisu dessert prepared like that with the water being poured over the coffee grounds, I'll have to try it in January. 

My husband dislikes mustard and vinegar, but loves the carpaccio in Prego.  After I raved about the dish, he finally tried it and loves it.  Crystal has perfected the melding of the flavors, and the carpaccio melts in your mouth.  We both regularly order it in Prego.

photos from CC Meet & Mingle!

we need name or handle tags.

Thank you CC 🙂

always nice to mingle with forum posters....

IMG_20190921_184938 r.jpg

IMG_20190921_184623.jpg

IMG_20190921_184740.jpg

IMG_20190921_184903.jpg

IMG_20190921_184918.jpg

IMG_20190921_184953.jpg

Does Crystal not make name tags ?

Or is that too tacky ?

1 minute ago, LHT28 said:

Does Crystal not make name tags ?

Or is that too tacky ?

Tacky? Guess that's for you to decide, but Crystal has never provided name tags.