Cruise Critic Community
BWIVince

Reflections on OCS190917-11 (Huh?) [9/17 YVR-LAX]

6 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

Tacky? Guess that's for you to decide, but Crystal has never provided name tags.

So would it be tacky for someone to bring  some blank tags  to  a  M& M ?

Never been on a Luxury line before  so maybe it is just not done

I find it easier to  get to know others  at the meetings with their CC ID & Real name

Maybe I will bring some  & see if I get snubbed  🤔 😇

At some of the parties we attended they did provide name tags and was happy to do that.   However, they received feedback from some people not to have them. Sone didn’t want their real name known and some not even their cruise critic name. 

Before the official M&M parties sone of us would bring them. Again sone people liked the idea and sone did not.

I always liked the idea but was given the feedback about sone not liking it so I stopped asking.   For me it was a great way to put faces with names but I respect those who want to be under the radar screen.   Of course if one wanted to not have their name known they could just simply not wear a name tag. 

Great photos. So nice to see several familiar faces

Keith

17 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

At some of the parties we attended they did provide name tags .  However, they received feedback from some people not to have them. Sone didn’t want their real name known and sone not even their cruise critic name. 

WOW

not even their real name   they must be fun to be around

do you  call them SIR/MADAM   why bother going to  a M & M  if you are not going to give a name 😲

Oh well too late to cancel the cruise

32 minutes ago, mywong23 said:

IMG_20190921_184953.jpg

These folk look vaguely familiar 🙂 

oh and there’s a couple in the background too - the T ladies 🙂 

On one cruise in SS, and not having name tags, we decided to do a round-robin of names and place of residence, and add something particular about self you would want to share.  It ended up being warm and funny and helped make the cruise special.

11 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

WOW

do you  call them SIR/MADAM   why bother going to  a M & M  if you are not going to give a name

We’ve met wonderful people at the M&M parties as we do throughout the ship. For whatever reason some prefer not to wear name tags for a variety of reasons. That does not make them any less nice than anyone else  IMHO. 

It’s really no big deal.  The parties are all great with or without name tags.   Either way we just go up and say hi and introduce ourselves as do most people. 

Keith

5 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

We’ve met wonderful people at the M&M parties as we do throughout the ship. For whatever reason some prefer not to wear name tags for a variety of reasons. That does not make them any less nice than anyone else  IMHO. 

It’s really no big deal.  The parties are all great with or without name tags.   Either way we just go up and say hi and introduce ourselves as do most people. 

Keith

I am sure most people   would know you  ...no introduction needed 🙂

I get the no names  tags bit  but not to give  their name  to people   when meeting  at a M & M  is beyond belief

37 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

WOW

do you  call them SIR/MADAM   why bother going to  a M & M  if you are not going to give a name 😲

Why on earth would you even consider canceling your cruise because what some others might or might not do? I think you are making a mountain out of a a mole hill about what is or is not a luxury cruise. Please, relax and enjoy your experience.

P.S. Try looking at the photos Michael posted. Do we look like the Dowager Countess at Downton Abbey?

Edited by Texas Tillie

44 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

Why on earth would you even consider canceling your cruise because what some others might or might not do? I think you are making a mountain out of a a mole hill about what is or is not a luxury cruise. Please, relax and enjoy your experience.

P.S. Try looking at the photos Michael posted. Do we look like the Dowager Countess at Downton Abbey?

You are so easy to wind up 😀

I do not give a monkey's what others do or think 

1 hour ago, Texas Tillie said:

Thanks, Michael. I recognize those people!! 😍

Patty (not your Patty!)

Ditto...thanks Michael.  Hi to you and your Patty.

i too recognize a few people including myself and DH...:classic_biggrin:

Nancy

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

I am sure most people   would know you  ...no introduction needed 🙂

I get the no names  tags bit  but not to give  their name  to people   when meeting  at a M & M  is beyond belief

It really does not matter what people do.  It’s their choice. Trust me it will not have any impact on your cruise.   It certainly does not impact our experience.

My suggestion.  Enjoy the cruise.  By the way I have attended many M&M parties across several cruise lines and IMHO Crystal first it the best. 

Keith

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

You are so easy to wind up 😀

I do not give a monkey's what others do or think 

Not wound up at all. It's just that you have made numerous comments about how this is your first "luxury" cruise and in every case you seem to be concerned. If you don't care, why comment as you do? I can see you're one who likes to "stir the pot", so be my guest,.

19 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

Not wound up at all. It's just that you have made numerous comments about how this is your first "luxury" cruise and in every case you seem to be concerned. If you don't care, why comment as you do? I can see you're one who likes to "stir the pot", so be my guest,.

Like - a lot.

Next weekend I'll be setting out my clothes for our Symphony cruise. It's getting so close! 

I wonder if LHT is so used to "O" that she might not enjoy Crystal. There are a few "O" cruisers who really love that line. I've never tried it.

5 hours ago, Camillus112 said:

On one cruise in SS, and not having name tags, we decided to do a round-robin of names and place of residence, and add something particular about self you would want to share.  It ended up being warm and funny and helped make the cruise special.

That's what we all did in the above mentioned photos posted by Michael.

Nancy

1 hour ago, fyree39 said:

Next weekend I'll be setting out my clothes for our Symphony cruise. It's getting so close! 

I wonder if LHT is so used to "O" that she might not enjoy Crystal. There are a few "O" cruisers who really love that line. I've never tried it.

I may or may not enjoy Crystal  that is why I am trying them out

Already see some good things & not so good things on Crystal

time will tell 😉

7 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

Very well said, Patty.

I just want to add most of us know who have attended these parties, name tags are not what makes the party.  Rather it is the people (both the people on this board and the crew) who make the parties special.  For us, the parties are great and we have enjoyed many memorable ones since they began.

Keith

15 hours ago, LHT28 said:

I may or may not enjoy Crystal  that is why I am trying them out

Already see some good things & not so good things on Crystal

time will tell 😉

You have seen some not so good things already?  Was it via the shipboard cameras?

I can assure you that Crystal is far superior to Oceania with or without name tags.

Oceania didn't participate in the Cruise Critic Meetup on one of the cruises that I was on. Everyone on the roll call signed up on the thread. We had about 50+ people. I made name tags up for everyone that singed up with their CC name and their first name.  It was fun but drinks were not included so we did the party on the Captain's Reception night when there was open bar for an hour.

This would not be necessary on Crystal.

2 hours ago, ChatKat in Ca. said:

I can assure you that Crystal is far superior to Oceania with or without name tags.

Oceania didn't participate in the Cruise Critic Meetup on one of the cruises that I was on. Everyone on the roll call signed up on the thread. We had about 50+ people. I made name tags up for everyone that singed up with their CC name and their first name.  It was fun but drinks were not included so we did the party on the Captain's Reception night when there was open bar for an hour.

This would not be necessary on Crystal.

Kathy

I have arranged several M & G  on Oceania 

The Concierge  sent invites to those  that signed up on my list 

when no time for invites ..we had the meeting after Muster  they did put up a sign for us

image.thumb.png.895a2d2d5a2807df9219757c41d308d3.png

I have had up to 100+ people turn up  even without drinks included 

Most people  at the M & G on O did not seem to worry about the drinks  they either had the package or bought  what they wanted  to drink

If people are just going for free drinks  then I guess Crystal is  ahead of the game  🙂

At least  on O they will were willing to wear your name tags  😎

Both lines have their pros & cons 🙂

7 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

If people are just going for free drinks  then I guess Crystal is  ahead of the game  🙂

At least  on O they will were willing to wear your name tags  😎

Both lines have their pros & cons 🙂

How has this turned into a discussion about Oceania's M&M? Who cares what they do?

No one is suggesting that people go to a M&M for the drinks - how ridiculous given Crystal is all inclusive

Who cares if people wear name tags or not? - personally I wouldn't wear one just as I think those who choose to wear their room card around their necks on lanyards are out of place on Crystal (that's sure to generate another discussion I guess!)

LHT28 - Why don't you just relax and wait til you've been on Crystal before you try and make comparisons and draw conclusions based on what you've read? As always I'm sure people are happy to answer any questions you have on Crystal to help make your forthcoming cruise go well

31 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

How has this turned into a discussion about Oceania's M&M? Who cares what they do?

No one is suggesting that people go to a M&M for the drinks - how ridiculous given Crystal is all inclusive

Who cares if people wear name tags or not? - personally I wouldn't wear one just as I think those who choose to wear their room card around their necks on lanyards are out of place on Crystal (that's sure to generate another discussion I guess!)

LHT28 - Why don't you just relax and wait til you've been on Crystal before you try and make comparisons and draw conclusions based on what you've read? As always I'm sure people are happy to answer any questions you have on Crystal to help make your forthcoming cruise go well

Sorry   we have gone off topic

Kathy said  she made up name tags for those on her Oceania cruise 

Maybe those on O  do not mind wear a name tag for an hour or so

No one was suggesting they wear them all cruise

Of course now Crystal  is all inclusive  but I believe at one time they were not  ..you can correct me if  I am wrong

Just putting perspective on the difference between cruiselines.   Yes, Crystal was not all inclusive at one time but is now.  Oceania is still not all inclusive.  And the passenger personality is a different genre of cruiser as well.

While I won't say never, I doubt that I will be back on an Oceania ship after experiencing Crystal.

My memory of wearing name tags at a Cruise Critic party. Well, actually a memory of my darling wife wearing them from ten+ years ago on-board Crystal Symphony.   It was back in the day before M&M was rolled out jointly by Cruise Critic and Crystal Cruises.  

DSCN2515.thumb.jpeg.cb0a245a7b7ad74e6ee43419d986a241.jpeg

Nothing ever surprises me on CC but I have to say I never thought that Name Tags would be a discussion time on Crystal Cruises Board and would fall under a category of "every cruise line has pros and cons".  

Maybe it's me but name tags is not an item I think about when determining whether or not I enjoyed a cruise.  

I'm still looking forward to more thoughts from Vince on the cruise when he has time to post on this thread and so glad that Michael posted those lovely photos from the cruise.  Those along with the ones posted by Vince are things I think about when it comes to Crystal.  

Keith

4 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

My memory of wearing name tags at a Cruise Critic party. Well, actually a memory of my darling wife wearing them from ten+ years ago on-board Crystal Symphony.   It was back in the day before M&M was rolled out jointly by Cruise Critic and Crystal Cruises.  

DSCN2515.thumb.jpeg.cb0a245a7b7ad74e6ee43419d986a241.jpeg

Nothing ever surprises me on CC but I have to say I never thought that Name Tags would be a discussion time on Crystal Cruises Board and would fall under a category of "every cruise line has pros and cons".  

Maybe it's me but name tags is not an item I think about when determining whether or not I enjoyed a cruise.  

I'm still looking forward to more thoughts from Vince on the cruise when he has time to post on this thread and so glad that Michael posted those lovely photos from the cruise.  Those along with the ones posted by Vince are things I think about when it comes to Crystal.  

Keith

Amazing Keith...not only do you have a photo for everything...but you are able to locate it on your computer.  Something I can never seem to do 😜🤪

Edited by riandei