PG Cruise Feb 8?

aururab

I am on the fence about booking a PG Cruise in February. 

Anyone cruise that time of year before have a comment on the weather?

Alternatively we could do a Windstar Cruise out of San Juan, we are just having a very hard time deciding and the date is fixed... 

We did a Paul Gauguin cruise at the beginning of February in 2017. The weather was great, with very little wind, warm water for swimming and snorkeling, and only a few passing showers.

We find the weather in February to be dicey in the Caribbean. Cold fronts still come through on a regular basis, and even if you outrun them heading south, there can still be swells. We did an early February cruise on SeaDream Yachts (a cruise ship with 102 passengers) in 2018, from Barbados to Saint Thomas. We encountered large swells during the middle part of our cruise, and missed a number of ports. I will say that a Windstar cruise ship (not sail) was anchored at St. Barts near us, and we noticed that ship was rocking less than us, and the tendering to shore looked much more stable.

Going North from San Juan in February could be even worse at that time of the year since the cold fronts don't usually dissipate until they are South of the Bahamas, making it windy, cold, and rainy, with nothing much to do on a small cruise ship, and even less to do onshore.

My next 4 PG cruises  .....

March 2020

December 2020

March 2021

December 2021

Have done numerous PG cruises from November - March  ... only once did it rain more than an hour .... but then the weather world wide is off a bit lately  .... my disclaimer, but still have 4 planned 😉

1 hour ago, aururab said:

I was looking at average cloud cover and rain, and it seemed that in February in French Polynesia has nearly constant cloud cover...

Don't believe everything you read  ..... I would say a 50/50 cloud cover would be average. Occasional rain and the broken cloud 50/50 cover for most of the day.