Cloud Ft Lauderdale to Lima 11/10-30/10

Silver Spectre

51 minutes ago, brimary said:

Sorry to hear of the mishaps you are encountering.We have experienced similar noise problems early am on our recent Wind cruise.We unplugged the TV and asked Reception to delete our suite from messages prior to 9 am .It seemed to work no more wake up messages from Captain or CD!!

Our TV is off. Schalk is using the emergency public address system, when Moss gives information he is using the system in the corridors and is way more considerate!

Talked to someone who was on the Zodiac that got hit by the rain, the driver lost the ship in the white out and panicked, radio didn't work, found it eventually, asked the Captain to swing and provide wind protection, Captain asked if Expedition staff were suggesting he went onto the rocks! 

One guest had major panic attack and needed the nurse to come to the Zodiac to calm him down, took 5 attempts to get him onto the ship. Some guests thought their time was up.

Whoever allowed the Zodiacs to run with an incoming heavy squall is completely barking and totally unprofessional.

• Like 3

Venetian cocktail party last night. 149 Venetians out of 185 guests, total days around 28,500, lots of 100 day free laundry awards. The top three cruisers have 1073, 1101 and 1108 days!

A very pleasant dinner in the MDR with good company and good food, Head Chef Pia is doing a great job and the ever magnificent Gilbert runs an excellent service team.

This morning we have arrived in Bocas Del Toro, Panama where it’s hot and humid. About to zodiac ashore to hunt for fast WiFi 

• Like 2

The hunt for decent WiFi failed miserably, so after a walk, a beer and a little shopping we have retired back to the air conditioned splendour of our Cloud. Those who did the morning tour to see dolphins, sloths and as it turned one incredibly tiny red frog (that was actually orange) appear to have gone for a siesta.

Trivia beckons at 4:45.

Docked (hooray) in Colon today and had an excellent tour to the locks and visitor centre at the Miraflores Locks and then back to Colon and out to see the new Locks at Gatun. Accompied by one of the lovely Expedition staff, Aly, who kindly bought us all some local chocolate. We also had a really good local guide, working as a cruise ship guide at weekends and a 5 day police job!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, jpalbny said:

The Canal is quite a masterpiece of engineering. Fascinating to see up close. Those new locks were still going in when we were there in 2013. 

They are pretty impressive, but no mules. The internet is so slow this morning that it will not upload a 700kb photo for you.

Edited by Silver Spectre
  • Thanks 1

Silver Spectre..... I know this is a little late now..... But if you'd had a vodafone a/c with Roaming plus, much of your voyage (if niot all) would have been covered. I know the FLL to Lima I'm on, all 7 countries are covered, which will be a godsend. (I know a couple of the caribbean Islands I visited this year, 4G was non existant, but generally it was pretty good.)

Worth considerring. I tend to get a sim only cashback deal. The one I;ve got at the mo works out at £12pm witrh 20gb data, unlimited calls and text and also free (one of)  spotify / sky sports / now TV

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, les37b said:

Silver Spectre..... I know this is a little late now..... But if you'd had a vodafone a/c with Roaming plus, much of your voyage (if niot all) would have been covered. I know the FLL to Lima I'm on, all 7 countries are covered, which will be a godsend. (I know a couple of the caribbean Islands I visited this year, 4G was non existant, but generally it was pretty good.)

Worth considerring. I tend to get a sim only cashback deal. The one I;ve got at the mo works out at £12pm witrh 20gb data, unlimited calls and text and also free (one of)  spotify / sky sports / now TV

Cheers Les, however my iPad is WiFi only and I do most of my social interaction on it. I could use my phone package, which is positively tiny compared to yours, but cannot be a***d. I could also pay $29 a day for the ‘faster’ package but I’m currently drinking my OBC. Many thanks for the info. When are you next onboard?

Edited by Silver Spectre

Out in the Pacific this morning, just a few birds for company. Heading due west and about to pass south of Isla Coiba on our way to Costa Rica.

Moss gave another standout solo performance in the Panorama last night, how this ship will miss him when he gets off!

• Like 1

Arrived at Quepos, Costa Rica at 6:30 this morning, blue skies, but a heavy swell. Assaulted by Skulk using the in-suite broadcast for his ‘hello we have arrived message’. Moss continues to be considerate and uses the corridor system. We are here all day today but the tours, which are relatively short, all leave at 7, 7:30 or 8am.

The ship was completely dead by 10:30 last night.