SYD Airport to Holiday Inn Potts Point (Kings Cross Station)

Four of us arriving at Sydney Airport around 8 am in the morning and then heading to our hotel, Holiday Inn Potts Point (immediately across from Kings Cross Station.) Obviously with luggage as we will be departing on a 14 day cruise, we were thinking of travelling by train to our hotel (I believe we need to switch trains). Is there room on the train for luggage x 4.    I read the cost is somewhere in the $20 AU range for the train.   Or would there be taxi cabs large enough perhaps  mini van taxi cabs large enough for four people and the luggage and what would that cost to our hotel approximately.  

9 minutes ago, pink845 said:

Four of us arriving at Sydney Airport around 8 am in the morning and then heading to our hotel, Holiday Inn Potts Point (immediately across from Kings Cross Station.) Obviously with luggage as we will be departing on a 14 day cruise, we were thinking of travelling by train to our hotel (I believe we need to switch trains). Is there room on the train for luggage x 4.    I read the cost is somewhere in the $20 AU range for the train.   Or would there be taxi cabs large enough perhaps  mini van taxi cabs large enough for four people and the luggage and what would that cost to our hotel approximately.  

Train will be about $18 each and you will have to change trains, Taxi to about $50 but a surcharge 50% I think for maxi taxi, I know which I’d choose.

3 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Train will be about $18 each and you will have to change trains, Taxi to about $50 but a surcharge 50% I think for maxi taxi, I know which I’d choose.

Train is actually $19.60 pp (unless you have a concession). 4 people with luggage may make it close to the cost of a maxi taxi but the car would be easier. Door to door and no lugging the bags.

4 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Train is actually $19.60 pp (unless you have a concession). 4 people with luggage may make it close to the cost of a maxi taxi but the car would be easier. Door to door and no lugging the bags.

Thanks been a few years since I last used it.

We are staying at the HI Potts Point - really Kings Cross, on 11 Feb, pre Majestic Princess cruise.  The rail stn is right at the hotel.  Train fare/cab fare from airport to KX is probably about the same for 4 pax.  From airport you need to change at Town Hall for the Eastern Suburbs line, first stop KX.

Edited by NSWP

Many thanks to all who have responded.  $19.60 per person for the train x 4.  Ouch.  Even if taxi-maxi comes in a $100.  Worth it.  Will check with taxi to make sure there is no surcharge for time of day before getting into the taxi.     

1 hour ago, pink845 said:

Many thanks to all who have responded.  $19.60 per person for the train x 4.  Ouch.  Even if taxi-maxi comes in a $100.  Worth it.  Will check with taxi to make sure there is no surcharge for time of day before getting into the taxi.     

Agreed. It is due to the $14.90 airport levy imposed on trips starting or finishing at either airport station.

Hmmm.  That nasty airport fee of $20 bucks really bothers me.  Just to get out of the gate.   We are pretty adventurous.  I am going to look into bus 400 from the airport to the Mascott station and then train to Town Hall with a switch to Kings Cross.   I wonder where I would buy the Opal card.  Would I have to pay cash for the bus and then buy the Opal card at the Mascott train station. 

8 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

There is the 400 bus you could take to Mascot station and then the train and it would be $3.70 pp but that is time consuming and a hassle.

Oh, don't remind me of the bus from airport. One Sunday arrived back from Brisbane planning to get the train home from airport. Walked towards station in domestic terminal & saw sign for buses as line was closed for trackwork. After carting luggage out to bus stop, the next one was all stations to Central! Took forever on a very hot day, and then had to drag luggage into Central. Now, I always check for trackwork on the tranis.

18 minutes ago, pink845 said:

Hmmm.  That nasty airport fee of $20 bucks really bothers me.  Just to get out of the gate.   We are pretty adventurous.  I am going to look into bus 400 from the airport to the Mascott station and then train to Town Hall with a switch to Kings Cross.   I wonder where I would buy the Opal card.  Would I have to pay cash for the bus and then buy the Opal card at the Mascott train station. 

You can buy Opal Card from the Airport Station.  Then use it on bus and train.  Lots of people catch the 400 bus/train, so you won't get lost - just follow the crowd.  

Pink 845 - You can get a bus from the airport to Bondi Junction, then train to Kings Cross, if you are not in a hurry.  i look at it like a scenic tour.

16 minutes ago, mr walker said:

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

You can buy Opal Card from the Airport Station.  Then use it on bus and train.  Lots of people catch the 400 bus/train, so you won't get lost - just follow the crowd.  

Pink 845 - You can get a bus from the airport to Bondi Junction, then train to Kings Cross, if you are not in a hurry.  i look at it like a scenic tour.

Good tip for that bus ride.

4 hours ago, pink845 said:

The surcharge would usually apply at night (probably from 7pm to 7am) and on Sundays. We always get a taxi. The convenience far outweighs any extra cost and is only a very small percentage of the amount you paid for the trip.

The Airport Line is a private line, hence the price loading, good service though, we often use it, only thing is the rolling stock is not designed for carrying of luggage, unlike the Heathrow Express from LHR-London Paddington, where they have storage racks.  So in the Sydney trains with luggage, get in the vestibule near doors.

22 hours ago, pink845 said:

$19.40 is ok, remember once on your Princess ship ex Sydney, you will pay that for 2 beers !!

Enjoy your adventure and safe travels !!

Edited by NSWP

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

The Airport Line is a private line, hence the price loading, good service though, we often use it, only thing is the rolling stock is not designed for carrying of luggage, unlike the Heathrow Express from LHR-London Paddington, where they have storage racks.  So in the Sydney trains with luggage, get in the vestibule near doors.

Most carriages have a large one at one end with a smaller one at the other, saves going either up or down to the main seating areas.

Used the train from the Sydney Airport for the last three cruises and will be using it for the next one. First time we went to Sydney we used a shuttle and spent ages in traffic and the driver was a madman, we wondered if we was going to get to the Port or end up in Hospital. The train is quite reliable and on time and even though we are in our late 70s we find it very convenient. Got a touch of excitement about the coming cruise just topping up the Opal cards.😊  Have also booked the Off Airport Luggage Service to save carting our cases to the Airport on our return.👍 

• Like 1