How's The New Perk Pricing Working For You?

vtcruising

I wanted to see how  others were doing with the new $14/day addition for the beverage perk so that people can try to figure out which choice makes sense for them.  I tried various ways to price a cruise this morning to see how the new perk pricing looks:

I randomly took a 7 night veranda cabin and priced it for 2:

With no perks:

With the new deal, receive $200 of OBC so net cost is $3426.20

image.png.e4797881504184fbf0a0d4028042f40f.png

With 2 perks, no beverage package perk:

Net is $3530.20 (perks = WiFi and OBC) if you subtract $398 for WiFi, $300 for OBC and $200 extra OBC for this offer

Net is $3725.20 (perks = OBC and Grats) if you subtract $300 for OBC, $203 for grats and $200 extra OBC for this offer

Net is $3627.20 (perks = Grats and WiFi) if you subtract $203 for grats, $398 fr WiFi and $200 for extra OBC for this offer

image.thumb.png.ca59558ce08b6b1bb43f6260c3fdce2d.png

Choosing Beverage Package as one of perks:

Net is $3133 (Beverage Pkg + OBC) if you subtract $991.20  for Bev Pkg and $300 for OBC and $200 for OBC for this offer

Net is $3035 (Bev Pkg + WiFi) if you subtract $991.20 for Bev Pkg and $398 WiFI and $200 OBC for this offer

Net is $3230 (Bev Pkg + Grats) if you subtract $991.20 for Bev Pkg, $203 for grats and $200 OBC for this offer

image.thumb.png.8476688975bdb5ceb21b8ddaa55a9fe1.png

All 4 perks:

Net is $2854 with all 4 perks = $300 OBC + WiFi $398 + Grats $203 + Premium Pkg = $1159.20 + $200 OBC for this offer

image.thumb.png.95fdf3768506d9378aaa9ad720310b3f.png

I think my math is okay, but it is early. 🙂   It is complicated. To me, it looks like people unfortunately need to do the math to get the best deal with perks that are valuable for them. Some may not put the same value on the perks that others do so may just go with the stripped down version and others who would use all of the perks and feel that they would spend that amount on that perk anyway or like the convenience of locking in the costs pre-cruise. One thing I would also need to look at is what some of the perks would cost if I used Captain's Club discounts (Bev Pkg and WiFi) or whether I would need Bev Pkg with Elite cocktail hour or need WiFi with free Captain's Club minutes.

I think that for this offer, the $200 OBC that is included makes up for the $198 extra for the Bev Pkg for a 7 night cruise - I know some feel that X makes more money on anything we purchase with it onboard so it doesn't feel the same as paying $198 extra originally, but it could be spent on grats, which hopefully people are paying anyway, so a full value.  Not trying to say the surcharge on the perk is a good thing, just that since we can't do anything about it, this is one way to think about it (at least for this extra $200 OBC offer). Also, I didn't price this cruise yesterday so not sure if they did anything to the prices prior to staring this new Beverage pkg perk surcharge.

This is just an example of how it looks with one 7 night cruise and one way of calculating the worth, though what people value is individual.  I will be interested to see how others make out with their cruise pricing.

Of note, they added a banner over the Beverage Pkg perk to say that it is the most popular one. The unaware will be more apt to check that and have the surcharge (and many won't notice). Maybe it has always been there, but I don't remember it.

image.thumb.png.8d0fe256aac200619c76dbb4ba652b4f.png

Edited by vtcruising

Just looking at the cruise you picked out...$210 for 2 perks is much cheaper than what I've seen on similar cruises.  It seems that they reduced the cost considerably for those who don't choose the BP.   So the cost of the BP was inflating the cost of the 2 perks.

Most of the time, I price the additional perk cost against the OBC and prepaid tips, in this case $150 + $101.50 = $251.50 > $210 for the 2 perks.   So for this cruise I would purchase the perks.

12 minutes ago, TickledBlue said:

Just looking at the cruise you picked out...$210 for 2 perks is much cheaper than what I've seen on similar cruises.  It seems that they reduced the cost considerably for those who don't choose the BP.   So the cost of the BP was inflating the cost of the 2 perks.

Most of the time, I price the additional perk cost against the OBC and prepaid tips, in this case $150 + $101.50 = $251.50 > $210 for the 2 perks.   So for this cruise I would purchase the perks.

Interesting. I always get the perks so haven't been aware of the cost difference.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vtcruising said:

…. Not trying to say the surcharge on the perk is a good thing, just that since we can't do anything about it, .

I'm not sure about your math and your comparisons, but here is where I disagree with you.   You can switch to other cruise lines or consider other types of vacations.   As long as people believe there is nothing they can do about it, Celebrity will continue to raise the prices.  I have some cruises booked through early 2021 on celebrity but beyond that is in question.

Edited by ipeeinthepool
  • Like 2

On a number of possible cruises I was looking at before this change, the two perks were $210. With “OBC+ BEV” as the option, the beverage pkg resulted in costing $60, or $9/day. Even adding $14/day, it’s less than half of buying separately. 

mac_tlc

I thought I'd look at the UK site to see if there were any changes. I looked at the Southampton to Ireland and Iceland Septmeber cruise as I've booked that and know the price. 

The price for the balcony cabin i have is exactly the same as last week and comes with Classic Package, OBC and free grats.

There has been one major change the site now moves you over to the US site to book but in sterling. 

17 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I'm not sure about your math and your comparisons, but here is where I disagree with you.   You can switch to other cruise lines or consider other types of vacations.   As long as people believe there is nothing they can do about it, Celebrity will continue to raise the prices.  I have some cruises booked through early 2021 on celebrity but beyond that is in question.

Very true - I was actually speaking to those who chose an X cruise and were trying to see what they received for their money with each choice (with the caveat that the value depends on the individual - many wouldn't consider the Wi-Fi being worth $398, for example). I think people realize that they always have the choice to not take any of the options and move on....

Edited by vtcruising
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Alushar said:

I thought I'd look at the UK site to see if there were any changes. I looked at the Southampton to Ireland and Iceland Septmeber cruise as I've booked that and know the price. 

The price for the balcony cabin i have is exactly the same as last week and comes with Classic Package, OBC and free grats.

There has been one major change the site now moves you over to the US site to book but in sterling. 

Glad that UK travelers aren't affected by this change. I wonder why the switch to the US site?

31 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

VT was just trying to show comparative pricing and its value on booking Celebrity.  Of course what you say about switching is a fair response but that was not the point of VT's post. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

Glad that UK travelers aren't affected by this change. I wonder why the switch to the US site?

I think our current deal lasts until mid November which is Classic Bevs, OBc and either free air or free grats depending where sailing from.

As they are now allowing us to price adjust I wonder if they are going to introduce same system as US simply showing a sterling price

We have always chosen all 4 perks. In the past Celebrity's cost on that upgrade on the cruises we book is $630. The TA I used often discounts that $630 by 50%, so it's a great deal. Now looking at cruises into winter 2020/2021, I have no interest in paying over $5,000 for a basic balcony cabin on a 7 night cruise. $700+ per person per day with convoluted pricing has lost its appeal and we will look at other options. We are staying at the Ritz on Maui for 8 days with a large F&B credit, air included, over Thanksgivings for less than these cruises. Pass!

Interesting... must have taken quite a bit of time to  prepare! Thanks for sharing,

Were they all  non refundable   fares ?

We always book refundable...how does that change things?

Also for  the first 3  examples  daily grats will be added so that adds to the cost.

For our next  booking, if we cannot afford a suite( which is likely),   we are going to try not taking the bev package perk, but choose grats  and OBC..

We usually book AQ  ( if we can afford that). Grats are higher per diem..

Dh will have to do some math!

Edited by hcat

Just did a mock booking on the Edge 4/20 TA. Conceigre class chose refundable deposit  2 perks (prepaid grats & wi-fi) Total $8452.   Then redid with same cabin changed perks to Beverage package and Total was $6, 802‼️.  Redid it 2x and found that when I selected the beverage package it switched my booking from a refundable deposit to a non-refundable deposit.  

58 minutes ago, Alushar said:

I think our current deal lasts until mid November which is Classic Bevs, OBc and either free air or free grats depending where sailing from.

As they are now allowing us to price adjust I wonder if they are going to introduce same system as US simply showing a sterling price

That's what I was wondering when you talked about the move to US site - hope that is not correct...

31 minutes ago, jelayne said:

Just did a mock booking on the Edge 4/20 TA. Conceigre class chose refundable deposit  2 perks (prepaid grats & wi-fi) Total $8452.   Then redid with same cabin changed perks to Beverage package and Total was $6, 802‼️.  Redid it 2x and found that when I selected the beverage package it switched my booking from a refundable deposit to a non-refundable deposit.  

That,s odd that the  bev package perk  choice defaulted to non ref. And gave a much LOWER price...  Wonder what would it be  as non ref?

We already made our decision..have 4 booked with perks ( including 1 sky suite on Connie  .probably a mistake to have  taken the Classic,?)  But we will let it  all be, and then change our booking patterns for late 2021.

2 minutes ago, hcat said:

That,s odd that the  bev package perk  choice defaulted to non ref. And gave a much LOWER price...  Wonder what would it be  as non ref?

I had a similar result earlier today. I wonder if this is a programming glitch? 

1 hour ago, jelayne said:

jelayne, check again. I just did for our current booking in 2020 and found  that the pricing has now been adjusted .  I thought the lower pricing just couldn't be right!!

1 hour ago, hcat said:

Interesting... must have taken quite a bit of time to  prepare! Thanks for sharing,

Were they all  non refundable   fares ?

We always book refundable...how does that change things?

Also for  the first 3  examples  daily grats will be added so that adds to the cost.

For our next  booking, if we cannot afford a suite( which is likely),   we are going to try not taking the bev package perk, but choose grats  and OBC..

We usually book AQ  ( if we can afford that). Grats are higher per diem..

Dh will have to do some math!

The initial choices don't make it clear like they used to (it doesn't have refundable and non-refundable listed for each choice) - maybe they haven't got it set up the way they want it yet.  Very confusing...anyway, I went back and I had chosen the left hand choice for the no perks (it says "cruise only") and right hand for perks - it doesn't make it clear because when I went back in, all the "No Risk Deposit" offers are on the right. 

image.thumb.png.df8d5c0f3d89b3bed960961ef73e0521.png

So, all of the screenshots were for "No Risk Deposit" in the first post except the No Perks one - that one had a stricter cancellation policy (and if comparing the prices with the other No Risk Deposit prices):

This is the correct screenshot for No Risk Deposit with no perks (post #1 had the non-refundable rate):

With the new deal, receive $200 of OBC so net cost is $3808.20

image.thumb.png.4c8b75af4b68a4bdb27dede30589c84c.png

With 2 perks (one with Bev Pkg and one without Bev Pkg) had a "No Risk Deposit" (the usual policy, not the one above). The 4 perk package was also No Risk Deposit.

image.thumb.png.4b7c5ed9ab1513fd6fc92ccc44d597d8.png

774575682_2019-10-10(21).thumb.png.6b4b4e6aa43fe3f379da51e52d130bb0.png

image.thumb.png.a721a7cb843b90f38245e53f5253323d.png

This is the cancellation policy for the "non-refundable:"

image.png.d708926eeb557797eac8831487b1da08.png

Edited by vtcruising

14 minutes ago, dutchclogs said:

jelayne, check again. I just did for our current booking in 2020 and found  that the pricing has now been adjusted .  I thought the lower pricing just couldn't be right!!

Would hate to be an X rep today ...

1 hour ago, snyniew said:

Solo passengers get screwed by this since it still charges them the full $196 instead of just $98 as we are only using one beverage package. 

I agree.  That's been a pet peeve of mine for a long time.  And the reason I don't book with perks.  Cheaper to pay as I go.

Celebrity marketing needs to talk to their IT department as their interface to display fare choices in no way supports the complex fare structure they have implemented.

Wouldn't it be nice to have something like the following where you make your selections and the price is dynamically calculated.

Deposit Type:

Refundable             X

Non-Refundable

Perks:   ( Select 0, 2, 4 )

Classic Beverage Package                X

$150 OBC

Prepaid Gratuities (value $xxxx)

Unlimited Wifi                                      X

Calculate

Your Fare  $xxxxx.xx

• Like 3