Enchanted Princess - what to expect in comparison

Marga.Anders

Hi,

I am relatively new to cruising. Have sailed Symphony of the Seas in 2018 which I loved and Jewel of the Seas in 2019 which I enjoyed, but didn't enjoy the ship itself much.

For 2020 I am looking a new cruise ships and came across Enchanted Princess of Princess cruises. I had never heard of them before but the ship seems since.

I am just wondering, in comparison to Royal Caribbean (my only experience with cruising) how dus Princess compare? Is it a similar level of service?

Enchanted Princess will be the newest ship launch with Princess cruises debuting in 2020.  Princess is a very nice cruise line that as a cruise line, has ships that are less family venue and activates oriented than RCI Oasis class ships would be, of which Symphony is one - but would be a very nice cruise experience nonetheless.

Along with getting responses here, I would also suggest posting this on the Princess board to get responses from those with Princess cruise experience posting there.  Here is the link to that board:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/119-princess-cruises/

Here is a link as well to the Princess web site relative to Enchanted Princess for more information regarding Princess and that ship:

https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/ships/ex-enchanted-princess/?cid=bm_paidsearch_BKWS_google_princessenchanted_enchantedprincess_Exact_isl&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9Zf8-tuR5QIViYjICh3wwA-2EAAYASAAEgK-l_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Marga.Anders said:

Hi,

I am relatively new to cruising. Have sailed Symphony of the Seas in 2018 which I loved and Jewel of the Seas in 2019 which I enjoyed, but didn't enjoy the ship itself much.

For 2020 I am looking a new cruise ships and came across Enchanted Princess of Princess cruises. I had never heard of them before but the ship seems since.

I am just wondering, in comparison to Royal Caribbean (my only experience with cruising) how dus Princess compare? Is it a similar level of service?

As you learn more about the whole cruise thing, you'll find that the industry is segmented including "mass market" (the vast majority of ads you see on TV), "premium," "luxury," expedition," and "yacht charter."

Though some cruise lines will questionably self-identify themselves in the more desirable segments, you can be assured that Princess (along with lines like Celebrity and Viking [ocean]) fit squarely at the upper end (quality/service) of the "mass market" segment. 

Royal Caribbean is in the "lower end" (cost/quality) mass market mix with lines like Norwegian and Carnival. Don't get me wrong: This segment fills a niche that addresses a broad mix of needs, expectations and means.

But, in general, the cruise industry is one place where "you get what you pay for." That said, it can be a real surprise when you subject a top tier "mass market" cruiseship to to a "premium" cruiseship in a bottom line vacation cost comparison (i.e., ALL required/optional expenses like airfare, internet, beverages) and you find similar total expenditures.  And then, the deciding factor in ship choice (with/without similar itineraries), may come down to what you MAY want to avoid: crowds, nickel/diming, bothersome photogs and a Las Vegas/amusement park atmosphere."

What's been interesting in recent years is the "ship within a ship" concept where a mass market line carves out a portion of a ship and attempts to emulate the premium cruise line experience with better(?) food, more space and attentive service. Of course, the irony of these special sections is that, once you walk out of the "special" section, you're still on a ship that the cruise line has basically admitted is far from ideal for discerning travelers. AND, in that case, the real eye-opener is that, for the same upgraded price (itinerary dependent), you probably could've selected a bona fide premium (or luxury) line.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer