How Has Cruising Changed: Expectations vs. Luxuries?

CCAubs

54 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I have not been able to drive since 2003.My wife cannot drive that far.

Music was free for 100 years before Sirius.I posted previously that there are many singers who are not money hungry and appear in concert for which there is no charge or a nominal charge such as Joan Jett,Graham Nash,Bethany Yarrow,etc.

I said all food should taste the same. When it costs thousands of dollars to cruise there should not be an additional charge for food,in my opinion.

Music on the radio is only “free” for you to hear because someone else paid for it:  the sponsor.  And the sponsor does not pay for it because he likes you, he pays for it because he makes you listen to his commercials.  

Many people do do not like to listen to commercials, so they are willing to pay Sirius to give them music without commercials. When you listen to music on commercial radio, you are paying for it with the time which you spend listening to commercials.  It is only “free” if you think your time has no value.

• Like 2

Just now, navybankerteacher said:

Music on the radio is only “free” for you to hear because someone else paid for it:  the sponsor.  And the sponsor does not pay for it because he likes you, he pays for it because he makes you listen to his commercials.  

Many people do do not like to listen to commercials, so they are willing to pay Sirius to give them music without commercials. When you listen to music on commercial radio, you are paying for it with the time which you spend listening to commercials.  It is only “free” if you think your time has no value.

You only read what you want to read.I said that where I live we have commercial free music on several stations .Each one broadcasts 2 hours a day and they air songs by artists that you can never hear on Sirius.

I will listen to free music,you can pay Sirius to listen to music.When I was in college I was on the Debating team.I did not come on CC to debate.I came to discuss various aspects of cruising and to offer my opinions.

Not sure what radio music business model has to do with this.  

I am not looking for anything on a cruise ship to be FREE.  But it is shocking how much of what use to be INCLUDED in the cruise fare is now EXTRA.

The use of the term free when discussing  cruise amenities is wrong.  None are free, and never have been free.  They are either included in the fare or an extra charge above and beyond the cruise fare.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

You only read what you want to read.I said that where I live we have commercial free music on several stations .Each one broadcasts 2 hours a day and they air songs by artists that you can never hear on Sirius.

I will listen to free music,you can pay Sirius to listen to music.When I was in college I was on the Debating team.I did not come on CC to debate.I came to discuss various aspects of cruising and to offer my opinions.

Well, I only listen to music in my free time.  I don't like monthly payments either but Mrs Ldubs seems to always be telling me to get sirius.   😁😁

I think the thing is that when you look back.....

There were less cruise ships, so few people cruised, and it was something exciting and new...

A bit like air travel    it was for those with money ... and was a grand affair....

Now cruising and air travel are for the masses.....

So smaller high end ships are the way to go if you have the money,  to get some of yester year.

Cheers Don

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Well, I only listen to music in my free time.  I don't like monthly payments either but Mrs Ldubs seems to always be telling me to get sirius.   😁😁

Do you get 89.3 where you live,if so I believe that is a free music station without commercials.

28 minutes ago, ldubs said:

6 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Do you get 89.3 where you live,if so I believe that is a free music station without commercials.

Yep, I just tried and do get that station.   Right now it sounds like talk radio.  I suspect that 89.3 here is different than 89.3 back in your neck of the woods.    

7 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Yep, I just tried and do get that station.   Right now it sounds like talk radio.  I suspect that 89.3 here is different than 89.3 back in your neck of the woods.    

It is talk but also live music and live concerts .Bob Boilen who hosts the music segment grew up in Brooklyn,NY .

14 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

The artists do have control because Springsteen and Nash Both appeared in the same venue.Joan Jett lives near me.She plays free concerts every summer in our local park.

Pete Seeger played free concerts . Richie Havens played free concerts as do Dee Snider,Melanie and others.

I have a neighbor who is the lead singer of a DooWop group.They do free concerts.

Free concerts doesn't mean the artist is not getting paid it just means the source of payment is coming from somewhere else and just because the venue is not charging tickets doesn't mean they are not getting money via other sales. Somewhere someone is always making money because at the end of the day a concert is not just a person on stage singing, it is the audio technicians, lighting crew and the people who haul the equipment. These people have to get paid too, their not vouluteering their time.

As for the ticketing industry this is a pretty good not too overly complicated explanation of how it works:

How the ticket industry works

9 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I posted previously that there are many singers who are not money hungry

That is unfair characterisation of muscians. They are trying to make a living in an unstable industry. Today they maybe famous tommorrow they could be nothing, so they have to be able to monetize their work and the fact is todays music industry there is far less money that goes to muscians than ever before so most of them can't afford to be giving music and concerts for free.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

Free concerts doesn't mean the artist is not getting paid it just means the source of payment is coming from somewhere else and just because the venue is not charging tickets doesn't mean they are not getting money via other sales. Somewhere someone is always making money because at the end of the day a concert is not just a person on stage singing, it is the audio technicians, lighting crew and the people who haul the equipment. These people have to get paid too, their not vouluteering their time.

As for the ticketing industry this is a pretty good not too overly complicated explanation of how it works:

How the ticket industry works

That is unfair characterisation of muscians. They are trying to make a living in an unstable industry. Today they maybe famous tommorrow they could be nothing, so they have to be able to monetize their work and the fact is todays music industry there is far less money that goes to muscians than ever before so most of them can't afford to be giving music and concerts for free.

I have a cousin who is a Broadway actress and singer.She performs for free.I know with 100 percent certainty that she does not get a penny.She made a lot years ago and now wants to give back by performing for people .She is not the only one.My neighbor who is lead singer of a doowop group gives free concerts to people living in our condo.