10-10-19 Weekly Weigh-In/Happy Thanksgiving!

pacruise804

Great loss, katmu!  Jenny, I hate when my car gets a mind of its own 😉 

I maintained this week - which is better than a gain, but still slower than I want. 

We have our last run this weekend.  It's 3.5 miles instead of 3.1, but I'm still aiming for around 45 minutes.

We have two cruises booked for next year.  One is in May on Carnival Legend (using our cruise credit from last month) and the other is Viking Ocean in November (splurging for our 25th anniversary).  My goal is to lose 25# by the 1st cruise and another 25 by the 2nd.  That will get me back to where I felt my healthiest (and actually be a little less than when we got married 🙂 ).

• Like 1

Good Morning all ... everyone has done well so far ... no gains!!!   I stayed the same (alas), but have begun to realize that right now I'm not "dieting" ... I seem to be able to maintain my weight with what I am eating (and drinking wine!).  I would love to lose more, (like 19#), but will be happy with where I am.  

Hope everyone has a wonderful week!  Jan

• Like 1

Hello,

Thanks pacruise for the thread. And glad you lost. Oh what I would give to weigh what I did when hubby and I got married. Sadly I think that's too difficult at this point. But I'm rooting for you. 😉

I lost 1lb. Great but I need to lose more, cruising again in 3 weeks. 

Katmu, good loss.

Jan and Jenny, at least no gain. 

Diana

Edited by winewanderer
  • Like 1

Hi all!

pacruise804 ~ thanks for starting the thread & the Thanksgiving wishes. Wonder if they'll have turkey on my cruise that day.

Yikes I have no hope of ever returning to the weight I was when I got married! I'd have to lose 65 lbs so have gained a bit more than a pound for each year!!

I'm flying out to Rome tomorrow night for my 11 night Greek Islands & Italy cruise & starting off at the highest weight ever so hope I don't gain too much! I'm down 0.4 lbs this week but it's not enough. Oh well better luck next month!

Have a nice weekend.

~ Jo ~ 😊

• Like 1

Hello!  I'm new here, but just booked a cruise for July and starting to try and lose weight.  I went to the doctor's office today and was 139.4 lbs.  It may not sound a lot, but I'm barely over 5" tall.   I'm hoping to get to 115.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, retiring soon said:

Hi all!

pacruise804 ~ thanks for starting the thread & the Thanksgiving wishes. Wonder if they'll have turkey on my cruise that day.

Yikes I have no hope of ever returning to the weight I was when I got married! I'd have to lose 65 lbs so have gained a bit more than a pound for each year!!

I'm flying out to Rome tomorrow night for my 11 night Greek Islands & Italy cruise & starting off at the highest weight ever so hope I don't gain too much! I'm down 0.4 lbs this week but it's not enough. Oh well better luck next month!

Have a nice weekend.

~ Jo ~ 😊

Have a great trip Jo!  Sounds like a walking intensive cruise, so you might lose.  Small samples of the wonderful food and savor each bite - that way you can still splurge but hopefully not gain. 

I wondered if your meal was similar to ours - it sounds like turkey is on your menu too.🍗

I wasn't very tiny when we got married - I think around 165 - so getting to around 150 is an ambitious but still healthy goal.

8 hours ago, akur23 said:

Hello!  I'm new here, but just booked a cruise for July and starting to try and lose weight.  I went to the doctor's office today and was 139.4 lbs.  It may not sound a lot, but I'm barely over 5" tall.   I'm hoping to get to 115.

Welcome akur23!  I'm 5'4 on a good posture day and 5'2 on a bad one 😉 I know BMI charts would say 115 is ok, but depending on your age and fitness level that might be low.  I'd be thrilled to be a toned 140 again - I got close a few years ago with 152 at my lowest and honestly looked better and wore smaller clothes than I did at 135 in high school.

If the weight is keeping you from doing what you want, we absolutely support you in your goal to lose 🙂 

Thanks for the welcome!  I'll be 60 next month, and I'm halfway active.  🙂  I walk a lot at work (I'm a librarian and am always sorting books, pushing carts full of books and stuff like that.)  I sometimes do yoga and swim, but I'm not really into exercise.  I do love food, and I tend to overeat on cruises.  If I lose some weight between then and now, then I'll be back to normal when I get back.  I haven't been on a cruise since 2009 and can't wait to get back.

• Like 1

Hi All,

Sorry I've been MIA the last few weeks - life kind of took over! I have been the same - up and back down a couple times over the gap. I'm at my pre-cruise weight as of this morning, but I haven't been really motivated since we got back. We head to Vegas in a few weeks so maybe that will get me back on track. It's just under 4 months until our next cruise, so hopefully I'll be 50 pounds down from my heaviest by then! Only 24 pounds to that goal!

This weekend will be so hard! I have an order in the oven so we're eating out tonight. 👰 Tomorrow DH and I are going out for our anniversary. ❤️ Sunday night my daughter is having a late birthday sleepover so... pizza, cupcakes, and donuts Monday morning. 🍕🧁🍩 Then I'm taking the girls out for bowling and laser tag. 🎳 Hopefully I can get a salad there, or the kids will be able to roll me down the lane! 🤣

6 hours ago, heathersmoo said:

Hi there! May I join in? I am a little shy and not sure how it works though... Do we just mention our loss for the week, if any? Thanks for the guidance.

Hi heathersmoo!

Welcome! I'm not sure that there are any strict rules here. I find when I post my losses here I feel more motivated, and when I post my gains along with what may have caused them I find patterns that trigger those gains. Either way I feel a little more accountable posting every week. You could always start by telling us your goals (is there a certain amount you want to lose or a dress you want to fit into by your next cruise?), and you'll get lots of support in return! 

Good luck towards your goals!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, melmar02 said:

Hi heathersmoo!

Welcome! I'm not sure that there are any strict rules here. I find when I post my losses here I feel more motivated, and when I post my gains along with what may have caused them I find patterns that trigger those gains. Either way I feel a little more accountable posting every week. You could always start by telling us your goals (is there a certain amount you want to lose or a dress you want to fit into by your next cruise?), and you'll get lots of support in return! 

Good luck towards your goals!

Thank you so much for the welcome! I have three months till my next trip and I am hoping to have a certain pair of slacks feeling a bit roomier by then. My most recent roadblock to that goal has been getting my thyroid meds adjusted. That's still a work in progress. If the hormone is too high, I lose weight but struggle to sleep and have energy to exercise and achieve other goals. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, heathersmoo said:

Thank you so much for the welcome! I have three months till my next trip and I am hoping to have a certain pair of slacks feeling a bit roomier by then. My most recent roadblock to that goal has been getting my thyroid meds adjusted. That's still a work in progress. If the hormone is too high, I lose weight but struggle to sleep and have energy to exercise and achieve other goals. 

Hormones can be so tricky. Stick to your plan and you'll get there!

22 hours ago, heathersmoo said:

Welcome heathersmoo!  Thyroid can definitely be tricky 😞 

Since your goal is more size vs. weight, you could share inches lost instead of pounds if that helps.  Exercise (and good nutrition) can go a long way for fit even if the scale isn't moving much.

Thanks melmar and pacruise! Hormones really are hard sometimes. About six months ago my levels went up on their own so combined with the meds it was too much.

These meds are different from the last kind I was on so I didn't recognize the signs to call my Dr right away. That was the worst I have ever felt emotionally outside of an external reason for depression ( death in the family, breakups, stuff like that). I hope I never feel that way ever, ever again.

Thankfully I am feeling better now but while I am doing better emotionally, I haven't had many physical signs yet and it's hard to be patient!  I have always wanted to measure myself but I don't feel confident that I am measuring in the exact same place each time. I know that sounds silly but it's why I have been using my slacks as a baseline.

I'm the same way about not being confident in consistency with size measurements.  Fit of clothing is a good baseline 🙂 

I suffer from both medical depression and emotional grief.  While I think our culture often combines the two, they really are different.  Grief makes sense - we suffer a loss - and others can understand the way we feel and allowance will often be made.  It often gets more bearable with time, but can flare up at any time for a seemingly unrelated reason.  My mom has been gone for 14 years and there are still days I miss her 😞 Grief isn't always from a "sad" situation either. I'm dealing with some mild grief now with my first born starting college.  She's fine, healthy, and happy - but I miss my "baby" (and thought I was fine when we sent her off, but now it's getting real that she's an adult and the relationship has changed.  

Depression, though, is a neurological/brain illness (I find that a more accurate term than "mental" illness) and often doesn't make sense.  Everything can be going fine in your life, but you can still be depressed.  A similar example I can think of are people with food intolerances: it isn't that something doesn't taste good or the food can't be good for others, but for the person with the intolerance it is very harmful for them.  Depression can often be treated with (and sometimes worsened by) pharmaceuticals, but can also be aided by healthy diet and exercise (release of endorphins).  Counseling can also help with coping skills.  Generally it is best treated by a combination rather than either/or.  Someone can often "snap out of it" with grief but generally depression isn't something you can just will away.  There should be no shame in illness and if anyone feels like they might have a problem, please seek help.

Sorry for such heaviness on a Monday morning.  Typical disclaimer: not a medical professional, this is my opinion and not medical advice, don't take medical advice from internet strangers 😉 

Heather, I hope you never have those negative effects again either.  Depression is no fun.

6 minutes ago, pacruise804 said:

I'm the same way about not being confident in consistency with size measurements.  Fit of clothing is a good baseline 🙂 

I suffer from both medical depression and emotional grief.  While I think our culture often combines the two, they really are different.  Grief makes sense - we suffer a loss - and others can understand the way we feel and allowance will often be made.  It often gets more bearable with time, but can flare up at any time for a seemingly unrelated reason.  My mom has been gone for 14 years and there are still days I miss her 😞 Grief isn't always from a "sad" situation either. I'm dealing with some mild grief now with my first born starting college.  She's fine, healthy, and happy - but I miss my "baby" (and thought I was fine when we sent her off, but now it's getting real that she's an adult and the relationship has changed.  

Depression, though, is a neurological/brain illness (I find that a more accurate term than "mental" illness) and often doesn't make sense.  Everything can be going fine in your life, but you can still be depressed.  A similar example I can think of are people with food intolerances: it isn't that something doesn't taste good or the food can't be good for others, but for the person with the intolerance it is very harmful for them.  Depression can often be treated with (and sometimes worsened by) pharmaceuticals, but can also be aided by healthy diet and exercise (release of endorphins).  Counseling can also help with coping skills.  Generally it is best treated by a combination rather than either/or.  Someone can often "snap out of it" with grief but generally depression isn't something you can just will away.  There should be no shame in illness and if anyone feels like they might have a problem, please seek help.

Sorry for such heaviness on a Monday morning.  Typical disclaimer: not a medical professional, this is my opinion and not medical advice, don't take medical advice from internet strangers 😉 

Heather, I hope you never have those negative effects again either.  Depression is no fun.

I am glad I am not alone on not feeling like I am measuring myself well, lol!

Gosh, I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your mom.  I imagine something like that isn't something you ever get over, rather you learn to live with an important part of you missing.  I know how you may feel about your daughter but from the other side!  I recently moved out of my parents' house and my parents have gone a bit nutso.  I'm an only child so I am sure it was hard for them- it was hard for me too!

And thanks for posting about depression!  I agree with so much of what you said.  I've always seen it as a chemical imbalance only no one treats it that way.  For instance, I don't think many people would tell a diabetic "have you tried just being happy or getting over your troubles?"  Of course not, but people seem to think that is ok to do with depression because it somehow isn't generally seen a real medical issue.  Unfortunately I have suffered from depression myself.  Unlike the recent emotional weirdness with my thyroid where my roomie would ask me how my day was and I would burst into tears for no reason, depression for me was more a feeling of numbness than sorrow.  It definitely is a thing that doesn't make sense, like you said.  I still remember when I "came down with depression," for lack of a better phrase.  A couple years ago when I was seventeen, one morning I just woke up and felt... off.  I thought it was just one of those things, just a weird day.  It never got better though.  I tried everything to treat it on my own because confiding in my parents about that to try to get me treatment was out of the question.  I tried yoga, exercise, talk therapy, all sorts of supplements.  Nothing helped and I lost out on so many college experiences.  Finally, my roomie prodded me to go a lab that was doing studies for depression meds.  As vividly as I remember the morning I woke up depressed, I also remember the first time I genuinely smiled at a friend after being on Lexapro for a few months.  It was like feeling the sun on my skin after a year of darkness.

I hope that you have something that works for you because it makes all the difference in the world to find that thing that helps you.

{{{Hugs, Heather}}}

Congratulations on moving out 😎While I miss my daughter, I am pleased that she is happy and busy enough with life to not need to call me.  I don't know your family dynamic so feel free to ignore me, but generally parents do want to help their children even if as a child we fear disappointing them.  My heart aches for both you and your parents that you didn't feel safe confiding in them about your health concerns.

I manage my depression fairly well.  When symptoms reach the point self care doesn't work I have reached out to medical staff including counseling.  Medication helped some, but the effects weren't lasting and my doctor had to keep increasing the dosage to a level he wasn't comfortable with.  I never really "clicked" with a counselor, but have gained coping techniques and insights from them and am grateful for the service.  My faith and my family are also big helps.  One of the most frustrating parts is knowing what I need to do that helps me (eat healthy, exercise), but depression makes it harder to do those things.  Sometimes picking one healthy thing to do though, no matter how small, can make the difference.

Getting back to weight/diet related discussion 😉 

We had nice weather for our run Saturday morning, but my knee was giving me lots of problems.  I finished in just over 50 minutes for 3.5 miles, but I'll count it as a win between my knee and the hills.

Last night I was at a pot luck and did pretty well at not over eating and limiting the sweets.  It was a fall themed dinner and I took cocktail meatballs (chili sauce with jelled cranberry cocktail) and pumpkin cookies.  I resisted most of the desserts and crackers, focused on the few veggie options, and enjoyed conversation rather than guilt over poor food choices.

There were a lot of desserts, so there were quite a few cookies left over.  I was able to pass them on to our church staff for Pastor Appreciation month 🙂 

34 minutes ago, pacruise804 said:

{{{Hugs, Heather}}}

Congratulations on moving out 😎While I miss my daughter, I am pleased that she is happy and busy enough with life to not need to call me.  I don't know your family dynamic so feel free to ignore me, but generally parents do want to help their children even if as a child we fear disappointing them.  My heart aches for both you and your parents that you didn't feel safe confiding in them about your health concerns.

I manage my depression fairly well.  When symptoms reach the point self care doesn't work I have reached out to medical staff including counseling.  Medication helped some, but the effects weren't lasting and my doctor had to keep increasing the dosage to a level he wasn't comfortable with.  I never really "clicked" with a counselor, but have gained coping techniques and insights from them and am grateful for the service.  My faith and my family are also big helps.  One of the most frustrating parts is knowing what I need to do that helps me (eat healthy, exercise), but depression makes it harder to do those things.  Sometimes picking one healthy thing to do though, no matter how small, can make the difference.

Thanks!  It's been an exciting adventure.  I call my parents a few times a week but they call me every day lol.  

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't find something that worked for you just yet like my medicine helped me but who knows.  New advances are happening every day so maybe something is on the horizon for you.  I know what you mean about it being so hard to do anything sometimes.  Like you, I would try to do one positive thing each day when the going was hard, no matter how small it seemed.  On days when I couldn't even do that, I just tried to be grateful that I didn't have any setbacks.  On days with setbacks, I tried to not dwell on them but of course with depression, not ruminating can be so tough!

Your fall feast sounded amazing!  Yum, meatballs ❤️  Oh and I see you are in PA... I know it isn't central but more western but are you sorta near Pittsburgh at all?  My entire family was born there except for me (south florida, represent!!) and I always liked when we would go up north and see exciting things like chipmunks and groundhogs.  And the hills!  swoon 😛

• Like 1

I grew up on Lake Erie and have been to Pittsburgh many times - it is certainly beautiful.  I suppose I take chipmunks and groundhogs for granted (mainly considered a pest around here), but they can be fun to watch sometimes 🙂 I'm currently near the Susquehanna River Valley so lots of mountains here too ❤️ 

At least in FL you don't get much snow and are closer to the major cruise ports 😉 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pacruise804 said:

I grew up on Lake Erie and have been to Pittsburgh many times - it is certainly beautiful.  I suppose I take chipmunks and groundhogs for granted (mainly considered a pest around here), but they can be fun to watch sometimes 🙂 I'm currently near the Susquehanna River Valley so lots of mountains here too ❤️ 

At least in FL you don't get much snow and are closer to the major cruise ports 😉 

My mom went to college in Erie.  It's super pretty up there!  I have a funny story about chipmunks actually- I was at the Columbus Zoo and I saw a bunch of people huddled around the manatee exhibit.  I screamed and took a bunch of pictures of the trash can and everyone was looking at me because I found a chipmunk eating the trash and it was honestly one of the most exciting things that has ever happened to me.  It was such a cute chipmunk and I got really great pictures of it if you ignore the trash.  Don't get me wrong, manatees are very nice but they are not something I consider exotic at all like the northerners did.  That chipmunk was much more interesting to me.  No one else thought so!

I've never seen snow!  I hate the cold.  My best friend has pictures of me wearing a sweatshirt and jeans in Death Valley in July.  I only recently learned that apparently the flakes aren't the size of your head like you see in Frosty movies. Oddly enough, I have only gone on one cruise leaving from a Florida port.  I flew to all the others.  I actually just updated my signature with additional trips I had taken because I hadn't even looked at it in like at least a year.  

I guess I should mention something health related too... I had two eggs for breakfast, tuna for lunch and lots of water and walking today so yay 🙂

• Like 1