Our Carnival Sunrise B2B to Bermuda?? & New England / Canada (with pics) – 9/16/2019.

Jamman54

14 hours ago, Jamman54 said:

We decided to head up to the Lido Market Place for some omelets this morning. We avoided any lines by going to Cucina del Capitano. They seated us and just like they do for lunch, we filled out a card with what we wanted in the omelet, and when it was done they brought it out to us. Outstanding! There were stations where you could get your breakfast meats and potatoes, and also your coffee and juices.

Our bellies full, we went back to the cabin, grabbed our stuff, and then left the ship right around 10 am. The gangway was all the way forward on Deck 1. Welcome to Halifax!

Do you recall if the omelette stations (Cucina del Capitano, lucky bowl, seafood shack, etc) also had pancakes/waffles and pastries?

If we can skip the buffet madness and keep the kids happy with pancakes, that would be fantastic!

18 minutes ago, samrothstein said:

Do you recall if the omelette stations (Cucina del Capitano, lucky bowl, seafood shack, etc) also had pancakes/waffles and pastries?

If we can skip the buffet madness and keep the kids happy with pancakes, that would be fantastic!

I don't think so. I saw breakfast meats, potatoes,  and maybe toast. 😎

On 10/25/2019 at 3:50 PM, Jamman54 said:

Our next stop was the Cruise Critic Meet & Mingle which was being held at Piano Bar 88…..

It looks like you had a great time and location for your M&M.  I'm glad you had a good turnout, they can be really fun when people participate.

On 10/25/2019 at 3:50 PM, Jamman54 said:

After leaving the Meet & Mingle I went up to the Red Fog Rum Bar to visit my buds, while Patti walked around a little.  The turnout for Seuss a Palooza was pretty light as there weren’t many children aboard the ship this week…..

I generally think the CA/NE cruises don't have many littles (especially September).  I'm guessing the few who were there got a lot of special attention 🙂 

On 10/25/2019 at 4:28 PM, Jamman54 said:

We have a full basket of cranberry bread. Yay!

For my starters I had a shrimp cocktail followed by the Sicilian meatball soup….

I'll need to keep an eye out for the cranberry bread on our next cruise.  I don't remember any in our baskets but it looks good.  Do you remember how the soup was, it looked interesting on the menu.

On 10/25/2019 at 4:28 PM, Jamman54 said:

I got in line at 8 pm for the 8:30 pm Comedy Show starring Will Marfori. To enter the Comedy Club which is in the Limelight Lounge, you need to use the mid ship stairs or elevators. When I got in line a half hour before the show, the line had already backed up into the Deck 4 elevator lobby, and in no time at all extended through the elevator lobby, and then up the stairs and into the Deck 5 elevator lobby. Of course, people arriving by elevator on Deck 4 were directed back up to Deck 5 to join the back of the line.

As common sense dictated, I thought that once the previous show was over, everyone at that show would be directed to exit the Limelight lounge via the rear doors which would empty out into the Deck 4 aft elevator lobby. But noooooooo, they allowed people to exit towards the mid ship elevator lobby, or in other words, the way they came in. Now imagine this mass of humanity in the mid ship elevator lobby waiting to go in, clashing with this mass of people exiting the show into the same Deck 4 elevator lobby. It was pure chaos, and I told myself then that this would be the last comedy show that I would be going to on this ship!

Once inside the Limelight Lounge I got a great seat by the bar, and really enjoyed the show. I had read in other reviews that the Limelight Lounge was very hot, but that wasn’t my experience. However, until they figure out how to move people in and out of this venue, which really should be simple, I’ll pass.

After the show I exited through the rear doors and made my way up one flight to the Red Frog Pub. I watched one set of the Hip Stars and then called it a night.

Coming up next: Our day in Halifax, Nova Scotia.

I was going to ask if the aft doors were blocked, but then you said you used them to exit.  Things like that were head scratchers to me of how Carnival could do such a major refurb but create/leave such congestion points.  Also Limelight/Liquid lounge names were a little confusing to keep straight what was where.  I guess Pride spoiled me 🙂 

On 10/26/2019 at 6:13 PM, Jamman54 said:

Day # 9 – 9/24/19  -  Halifax, NS  ( 8 am – 4 pm ).

We were up at 7 am. It was not a very nice day. It’s cloudy with a chance of showers. The high temperature will top out at 67 degrees today.

It looked like the rain held off at least.  We loved Halifax when we visited on Princess in 2017.  Sunny 67 is nice (especially walking around), but cloudy 67 might have been cool - particularly if it was windy.  Halifax is a great port to explore on your own.

On 10/26/2019 at 6:13 PM, Jamman54 said:

We decided to head up to the Lido Market Place for some omelets this morning. We avoided any lines by going to Cucina del Capitano. They seated us and just like they do for lunch, we filled out a card with what we wanted in the omelet, and when it was done they brought it out to us. Outstanding! There were stations where you could get your breakfast meats and potatoes, and also your coffee and juices.

I'll have to give Cucina a try if we get the chance again.  Table service can be a nice treat but MDR for breakfast has been disappointing lately.

On 10/26/2019 at 6:22 PM, Jamman54 said:

Here are some more views of the Halifax Seaport area…..

IMG_1928-XL.jpg

I find most Canadian tourist towns do such a nice job with their flowers 😍

On 10/26/2019 at 6:22 PM, Jamman54 said:

We have no excursion planned today since we have been here quite a few times. Our plan is just to walk around the waterfront area. We now move onto the Harbourwalk (boardwalk)…..

The Harbour Hopper passes by. We recommend this tour. You can get it cheaper off the ship…..

IMG_1939-XL.jpg

To be continued…..

Is this like a duck boat?  Water and land?  I did something similar in the Dells, WI and it was a lot of fun.  Might have to consider this for our next Halifax trip.

On 10/26/2019 at 6:42 PM, Jamman54 said:

The nearby children’s playground has been upgraded over the years…..

IMG_1969-XL.jpg

That looks like such a fun little playground.  My kids (19 and 14) are too big, but maybe someday in the (far 🙂 ) future I'll have grandkids to bring.

This is the Tall Ship Bluenose II…..

IMG_1972-XL.jpg

Soo pretty!

Talk about sitting ducks  …..

To be continued…..

We always seem to find ducks on our vacations too 😄 

On 10/26/2019 at 6:57 PM, Jamman54 said:

Patti then hikes up the hill to the Citadel…..

To be continued…..

We went there on our trip.  2017 was an anniversary year so there was free admission.  There is so much history, and a unique perspective viewing from a Canadian lens versus American (earlier we had seen coverage of some of the same events at Smithsonian museums).

On 10/26/2019 at 7:14 PM, Jamman54 said:

To be continued…..

On 10/26/2019 at 7:23 PM, Jamman54 said:

Patti heads down the hill and back to Stayner’s Wharf, where we have lunch and a couple of drinks…..

Once we finished lunch we asked them to call a taxi to take us back to the pier. The fare was $10 including tip. Here we are back at the terminal…..

Do you recall if they served Donair?  It's a local dish similar to a gyro that I had researched but we never got around to eating.  I know it is served at pizza shops but didn't know if pubs/bars had it.

$10 taxi doesn't sound too bad after a full day of walking 🙂 

On 10/26/2019 at 7:23 PM, Jamman54 said:

These are the rates for taxi and limo tours…..

IMG_2047-XL.jpg

To be continued…..

I didn't realize taxi rates were so affordable.  Our next trip will likely be just exploring the city again, but if we make a third trip I can definitely see doing a taxi tour (or limousine if part of a group) to see Peggy's Cove.  Even before adjusting for the currency conversion I think this is better than Carnival's excursions even if it is only 2 of us.  Great deal if we have 4.

On 10/27/2019 at 8:35 AM, samrothstein said:

I don't think the omelette stations had pancakes/waffles or pastries.  There was a small section with bacon, potatoes, French Toast (probably pancakes too) that was near the bottom of the stairs leading to Cucina and to the side of the buffet.  You could probably load the kids plates there and take them upstairs.

Another great read Jeff. When I sailed out of Brooklyn back 2014 on Royal Princess, it had rained in the am, then it cleared up by 2pm.   Of course I had the car service to drive me there. I liked sailing out of Brooklyn better than Manhattan. Brooklyn port is cleaner and 1 ship is in port. Manhattan to yucky (needs a MAJOR over hall.) I did miss sailing down the Hudson to see the Lady Liberty.

I'm laughing that Carnival is STILL doing the Hairy Chest Contest. LMAO. After not sailing on Carnival for the last16 years or so.

On 10/28/2019 at 11:18 AM, pacruise804 said:

Is this like a duck boat?  Water and land?  I did something similar in the Dells, WI and it was a lot of fun.  Might have to consider this for our next Halifax trip.

Do you recall if they served Donair?  It's a local dish similar to a gyro that I had researched but we never got around to eating.  I know it is served at pizza shops but didn't know if pubs/bars had it.

Once again thank you so much for chiming in and sharing your experiences. To answer your questions, yes the Harbour Hoppers in Halifax are duck boats. We always enjoy taking a ride on those!

I don't recall seeing Donair on the menu at Stayner's Wharf. Sounds good though! :classic_cool:

1 hour ago, TennesseeTater said:

Great review as always Jeff!

Hey there! Always great to have you along!  Where are you sailing to next? :classic_smile:

4 minutes ago, Princess Cruiser27 said:

Another great read Jeff. When I sailed out of Brooklyn back 2014 on Royal Princess, it had rained in the am, then it cleared up by 2pm.   Of course I had the car service to drive me there. I liked sailing out of Brooklyn better than Manhattan. Brooklyn port is cleaner and 1 ship is in port. Manhattan to yucky (needs a MAJOR over hall.) I did miss sailing down the Hudson to see the Lady Liberty.

I'm laughing that Carnival is STILL doing the Hairy Chest Contest. LMAO. After not sailing on Carnival for the last 16 years or so.

Hey Barb! Have to agree about the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal. Like you said, the only downside is missing ailing down the Hudson River. :classic_cool:

Day # 10 – 9/25/19  -  Saint John, NB  ( 10 am to 6 pm ).

We are up at 8 am. The seas are fairly calm as we approach Saint John. It’s only 50 degrees now and will only be going up to around 60 degrees later. It’s going to be mostly cloudy today. Here are today’s Fun Times…..

IMG_2118-XL.jpg

IMG_2119-XL.jpg

IMG_2120-XL.jpg

About an hour and a half later he bow cam is showing us docking at Saint John…..

IMG_2121-XL.jpg

We decided to skip breakfast this morning, so we were off the ship at 10:15 am. We had a choice of debarking on Deck 3 mid ship or Deck 1 forward. Because of the dramatic tide changes in the Bay of Fundy, boarding on Deck 1 forward later will not be an option…..

IMG_2129-XL.jpg

Here are some views inside the terminal…..

IMG_2130-XL.jpg

IMG_2131-XL.jpg

IMG_2132-XL.jpg

IMG_2137-XL.jpg

This couple provided some music inside the terminal…..

IMG_2135-XL.jpg

To be continued…..

• Like 1

We leave the terminal and begin our walk towards town. The Regal Princess is docked in front of us…..

IMG_2136-XL.jpg

IMG_2141-XL.jpg

The Port Saint John offices are attached to the terminal that the Regal Princess is at….

IMG_2142-XL.jpg

IMG_2144-XL.jpg

This is the Fundy Cruise Market. Patti enjoys taking a look around here…..

IMG_2145-XL.jpg

IMG_2147-XL.jpg

Here is the Carnival Sunrise docked in Saint John…..

IMG_2140-XL.jpg

Here are some views along the waterfront…..

IMG_2148-XL.jpg

IMG_2149-XL.jpg

IMG_2150-XL.jpg

IMG_2152-XL.jpg

IMG_2153-XL.jpg

IMG_2155-XL.jpg

To be continued…..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jamman54 said:

Hey there! Always great to have you along!  Where are you sailing to next? :classic_smile:

Just got off the Paradise a couple weeks ago with the wife and boys. Going on the Legend and trying the Panama Canal in January.  I’ll make sure to have a breakfast burrito and thirsty frog in your honor!

• Like 1

This is the Loyalist Plaza Market…..

IMG_2156-XL.jpg

IMG_2169-XL.jpg

The Regal Princess and Carnival Sunrise docked in Saint John…..

IMG_2168-XL.jpg

The moose and me…..

IMG_2171-XL.jpg

IMG_2172-XL.jpg

We continue our walk along the waterfront…..

IMG_2157-XL.jpg

IMG_2173-XL.jpg

IMG_2175-XL.jpg

IMG_2176-XL.jpg

IMG_2177-XL.jpg

IMG_2179-XL.jpg

To be continued…..

19 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Cannot remember toast

Hey Jimbo! Thanks for confirming what I couldn't remember! :classic_biggrin:

4 minutes ago, TennesseeTater said:

Just got off the Paradise a couple weeks ago with the wife and boys. Going on the Legend and trying the Panama Canal in January.  I’ll make sure to have a breakfast burrito and thirsty frog in your honor!

Nice! We did the Pride to the Panama Canal a few years ago. Great trip. Enjoy! Ahhhh! breakfast burrito and Thirsty Frog. The breakfast of champions! :classic_biggrin:

4 minutes ago, Jamman54 said:

Hey Jimbo! Thanks for confirming what I couldn't remember! :classic_biggrin:

Nice! We did the Pride to the Panama Canal a few years ago. Great trip. Enjoy! Ahhhh! breakfast burrito and Thirsty Frog. The breakfast of champions! :classic_biggrin:

LOL, adding toast to there would suit me just fine😉

Just like Hollywood, Saint John has a sign on the side of a hill…..

IMG_2181-XL.jpg

Patti and I with the Regal Princess.....

IMG_2184-XL.jpg

IMG_2183-XL.jpg

We head inside the Market Square and hang out with some of the sculpture people…..

IMG_2185-XL.jpg

IMG_2186-XL.jpg

Here are some views taken inside of the Market Square…..

IMG_2188-XL.jpg

IMG_2189-XL.jpg

IMG_2192-XL.jpg

IMG_2193-XL.jpg

IMG_2194-XL.jpg

To be continued…..

• Like 2

It’s lunch time so we start heading over to Rocky’s Sports Bar which is my Husband Daycare facility here in Saint John. As we cross over the glass enclosed bridge over Water Street we get great views of the Regal Princess and the Carnival Sunrise…..

IMG_2197-XL.jpg

Here we are at Rocky’s Sports Bar…..

IMG_2200-XL.jpg

IMG_2201-XL.jpg

IMG_2202-XL.jpg

IMG_2204-XL.jpg

We are meeting a fellow CC member here for lunch today. I have her permission to post her name, so I would like you to meet Brenda (momtotandc)…..

IMG_2207-XL.jpg

Brenda bought Patti and I some goodies. Thanks Brenda!.....

IMG_2208-XL.jpg

We got to spend an hour together. Thanks for reaching out to us. We just love meeting new people. Great lunch and great company! Loved the quesadillas and jumbo hot dogs with he works…..

IMG_2210-XL.jpg

IMG_2211-XL.jpg

Here’s a link to the CC thread Brenda wrote that evening:

Lunch with Jamman & Patti

To be continued……

• Like 3

After Brenda went back to work Patti started exploring the Brunswick Square, while I remained at Rocky’s…..

IMG_2212-XL.jpg

IMG_2213-XL.jpg

IMG_2217-XL.jpg

IMG_2218-XL.jpg

IMG_2219-XL.jpg

Patti heads over to explore the City Market…..

IMG_2221-XL.jpg

IMG_2223-XL.jpg

IMG_2224-XL.jpg

IMG_2226-XL.jpg

IMG_2230-XL.jpg

To be continued…..

Here are some views out on the streets around the City Market…..

IMG_2227-XL.jpg

IMG_2228-XL.jpg

IMG_2229-XL.jpg

IMG_2234-XL.jpg

Patti comes to collect me from Rocky’s and we head back towards the ship. We are passing the Regal Princess…..

IMG_2237-XL.jpg

Patti goes to check out the Fundy Cruise Market. I go back to the ship and head up to the Red Frog Rum Bar…..

IMG_2238-XL.jpg

IMG_2239-XL.jpg

Patti heads back to the ship. Saint John High School is right across the street…..

IMG_2243-XL.jpg

Patti is back at the Carnival Sunrise…..

IMG_2242-XL.jpg

Once on board Patti meets me at the RFRB, and we head back to the cabin where we find today’s towel animal…..

IMG_2248-XL.jpg

To be continued…..

21 hours ago, Jamman54 said:

Brenda bought Patti and I some goodies. Thanks Brenda!.....

IMG_2208-XL.jpg

To be continued……

Is the Dulse dried seaweed?  I think I had that 2 years ago when we sailed Regal Princess on their Kayak and Lobster lunch excursion.  I really liked it 🙂 (sort of like kale chips, but good 😉 )