Our Carnival Sunrise B2B to Bermuda?? & New England / Canada (with pics) – 9/16/2019.

Jamman54

We were back on board around 2:15 pm…..

i-vhGBNPp-XL.jpg

i-mb7kT9V-XL.jpg

Patti took these photos of the Medical Center, located on Deck 0, forward…..

i-JtXFZr4-XL.jpg

i-zBRhZws-XL.jpg

When we got back to the cabin our towel animal was waiting for us….

i-HPNp3LJ-XL.jpg

Our Cruise Director Mikey has sent us some strawberries…..

i-hcSXrTC-XL.jpg

i-fDt7JN3-XL.jpg

We went up to Serenity since it would be a great place to get some pictures of Charleston before we sailed…..

i-DnKb7K7-XL.jpg

i-mDvPj4X-XL.jpg

i-LbCk9sK-XL.jpg

i-8wRhWSD-XL.jpg

To be continued…..

• Like 2

Our outlet....in cabin 2456...."stopped working" when I was almost done blow drying my hair one late afternoon....had to call Guest Services who got maintenance up there and fixed whatever was wrong with it.  I'm telling you....we are def those twins separated at birth!!!!  What is the likelihood?!  As others have said, your elegant night pictures are wonderful.  Very natural and I congratulate Patti on wearing a dress she wore 25 years ago.  You both look very content....cruising must agree with you lol.  Stay dry!!!  I think this crazy weather followed you north and us south! 

20 minutes ago, Crusin Karen said:

Our outlet....in cabin 2456...."stopped working" when I was almost done blow drying my hair one late afternoon....had to call Guest Services who got maintenance up there and fixed whatever was wrong with it.  I'm telling you....we are def those twins separated at birth!!!!  What is the likelihood?!  As others have said, your elegant night pictures are wonderful.  Very natural and I congratulate Patti on wearing a dress she wore 25 years ago.  You both look very content....cruising must agree with you lol.  Stay dry!!!  I think this crazy weather followed you north and us south! 

Hey Karry! The problem is you women and your turbo hair dryers!😁

1 minute ago, jimbo5544 said:

We have never been to Charleston, on our bucket list.  Home to one of my fav authors as 

Charleston is a great city to visit. I cruised from there 5 years ago but spent no time there before or after the cruise. We enjoyed our day there but it wasn't Bermuda! 😀

13 minutes ago, Jamman54 said:

Hey Karry! The problem is you women and your turbo hair dryers!😁

Charleston is a great city to visit. I cruised from there 5 years ago but spent no time there before or after the cruise. We enjoyed our day there but it wasn't Bermuda! 😀

Ha

Charleston is one of my favorite places.  In fact, I'll be there next Friday for my Saturday sailing on Sunshine!  I always try to go down the day before sailing even though I could make the drive easily enough the day of.  I like to check in to my hotel, then drive over to the waterfront, park the car, wander the streets, and have some dinner.  Sadly, dinner at Fleet Landing last time was a disappointment.  Not nearly as good as previous visits so I'll be looking for somewhere else to have my Shrimps & Grits!

When I sailed on Ecstasy a couple of years ago with some friends, they wanted to do a carriage ride.  "Oh, so touristy" I thought, but agreed to go.  It was actually quite fun.  It was early evening.  They do different routes and we were lucky enough to get a route that went down to the battery.

I highly recommend sailing from Charleston and giving yourself at least a day or two to explore this beautiful place.  I loved sailing on Fantasy when she was there (didn't like Ecstasy as much) but I know many people sneer at the Fantasy-class ships (not me; I love them!).  Will be interesting to see what it's like on Sunshine. I did sail her shortly after she was (re)launched and liked her more than I expected to given all the negative reviews early on.  I'm just used to sailing from Charleston on a smaller ship with fewer pax.

• Like 1

Patti did an outstanding job with all the Charleston pictures...we live in NC and have been many times to Charleston...also loved Fleet Landing but last couple of visits food not so good....I purchased some Carolina Rice at the City Market..really expensive...but the best rice I've ever had!!  We've also stayed at the Francis Marion Hotel....I hope I get to visit again some day....Please tell Patti thank so much for all the pictures!!  We've even met friends who were cruising on Hal...when they had a stop in Charleston...that was the first time we ate at Fleet Landing.

10 hours ago, SurfCat said:

As a fifth generation Charlestonian, I must say that you two did a good job for a short walking tour near the terminal. 

8 hours ago, Cairns Cruisers said:

We drove from Washington DC via VA and NC to Charleston and really enjoyed that pineapple waterfall on the waterfront(almost got a parking ticket:classic_biggrin:).

1 hour ago, NCTribeFan said:

Charleston is one of my favorite places.  In fact, I'll be there next Friday for my Saturday sailing on Sunshine!  I always try to go down the day before sailing even though I could make the drive easily enough the day of.  I like to check in to my hotel, then drive over to the waterfront, park the car, wander the streets, and have some dinner.  Sadly, dinner at Fleet Landing last time was a disappointment.  Not nearly as good as previous visits so I'll be looking for somewhere else to have my Shrimps & Grits!

When I sailed on Ecstasy a couple of years ago with some friends, they wanted to do a carriage ride.  "Oh, so touristy" I thought, but agreed to go.  It was actually quite fun.  It was early evening.  They do different routes and we were lucky enough to get a route that went down to the battery.

I highly recommend sailing from Charleston and giving yourself at least a day or two to explore this beautiful place.  I loved sailing on Fantasy when she was there (didn't like Ecstasy as much) but I know many people sneer at the Fantasy-class ships (not me; I love them!).  Will be interesting to see what it's like on Sunshine. I did sail her shortly after she was (re)launched and liked her more than I expected to given all the negative reviews early on.  I'm just used to sailing from Charleston on a smaller ship with fewer pax.

57 minutes ago, jbhcw said:

Patti did an outstanding job with all the Charleston pictures...we live in NC and have been many times to Charleston...also loved Fleet Landing but last couple of visits food not so good....I purchased some Carolina Rice at the City Market..really expensive...but the best rice I've ever had!!  We've also stayed at the Francis Marion Hotel....I hope I get to visit again some day....Please tell Patti thank so much for all the pictures!!  We've even met friends who were cruising on Hal...when they had a stop in Charleston...that was the first time we ate at Fleet Landing.

Thanks so much everyone for posting your Charleston experiences. She is a beautiful city. We barely scratched the surface on our visit, and we look forward to spending some real time there in the future. 😀

• Like 2

Great job with the photos.  I would love to do a history tour there, looks like some great stories with those old buildings.  Savannah is another great southern city that you can spend days just wandering the old town looking at historic sites and eating great food, especially seafood.  

keep the review coming!

3 hours ago, puppycanducruise said:

Great pictures.  Thanks.

Looking forward to more.

Thanks for reading. Glad to have you aboard!😀

23 minutes ago, ABQrobin said:

Great job with the photos.  I would love to do a history tour there, looks like some great stories with those old buildings.  Savannah is another great southern city that you can spend days just wandering the old town looking at historic sites and eating great food, especially seafood.  

keep the review coming!

Thanks again! More going up shortly.😀

18 hours ago, EBONI325 said:

Thanks for bringing us along, this is the first time I'm reading one of your reviews, and I must say I'm enjoying it. I wish I had known about the fog horns, I'm booked on the Mardi Gras next Sept in my first cove balcony going to Canada, guess I'd better bring some ear plugs, LOL. Well since I've caught up here, I'll go look up some of your prior reviews. Thanks again, and glad you're feeling better.

We've done two trips to Canada in balconies (Carnival Glory & Regal Princess) and I don't remember the fog horn being an issue, hopefully it won't be for you either.  Then again I don't think we had much fog 😮 😄 

16 hours ago, Jamman54 said:

Day # 3 – 9/18/19  -  Charleston, SC (8 am – 3:30 pm).

We woke up to a beautiful sunny day. The temperature is now 74 degrees, but it will be in the mid 80’s later.

The weather really was stunning, perfect for walking or carriage rides.

Here are the shore excursions that were offered for our stop in Charleston today. None of them appealed to us…..

Nothing jumped out to us either, especially for the price.  We had a full day just walking the Market and some of the parks, and no cost since it was early for us to eat and drink with the route we took.  If we ever make it back we might try some of the naval history on our own or maybe a local food tour.

We left the ship right around 9:30 am. On the way out we bumped into Tyler and he posed for a picture with Patti. He said he would be getting off the ship a little later……

We saw several crew members while we were walking.  It was nice that they could enjoy the day too.

We have arrived in Charleston…..

The terminal staff were so welcoming and helpful.  It was great to have the local map and guide book for those of us who were exploring on our own.

They must be happy to see us…..

This is a beautiful fountain, and you are allowed to wade in it if you want…..

The fountains (whole park area really) were great, lots of seating and shade 🙂  I really liked the pineapple one too.  I was sad to read a mom complaining on the FB group that there was nothing for her 3 year old to do - he would have probably loved the parks and they weren't that far (there was even a playground only a few more blocks away).

You can catch Water Taxi’s out at the end of the pier…..

i-DdNzhmK-XL.jpg

i-HWCC8KC-XL.jpg

We didn't see the water taxi until our walk back since we walked the Market first, then back down to the water (Battery?) before heading to the ship.  If we had known we might have taken it and explored the submarine.

Here is the historical Hugeunot Church and graveyard…..

i-knfBKJw-XL.jpg

Love these old buildings. What beautiful architecture…..

It really was such a pretty port: great architecture, romance of the carriages and cobblestones, beautiful flowers and landscaping ❤️ 

ETA: It made me feel good to see that these beautiful churches are still being used and welcome the public.

15 hours ago, Jamman54 said:

Patti explores the area around the City Markets…..

i-3wS6W9z-XL.jpg

We saw this on our walk too 🐱We have something like this where I live, but I think it's just coffee not wine.

The market was great too - so many choices.  I loved how much local artistry was there.  Even though we didn't find anything to take back, it was certainly a good shopping choice with different options and price points.  It was enjoyable talking to some of the artists too.

There were restrooms throughout the Market and portions were air conditioned.  There was also more shopping (individual full size stores) a block or so over from the Market.  There was an apiary based store that had a mead tasting, but we didn't want to hassle bringing it back on the ship.  Maybe a road trip is in our future 🙂 

13 hours ago, Jamman54 said:

This sums up my experience too.  It was a great day and I'm grateful for it, but it wasn't Bermuda 😉 Reflecting on it though, it did offer much of what Bermuda has apart from pink beaches: natural beauty, architecture, history, shopping.  I think there were even beaches you could take a taxi to or rent a car, but it wasn't really that warm and many might not have known about them.

Edited by pacruise804
note about churches

1 hour ago, indygirl76 said:

The signage for that cat cafe is hilarious! Love it!

I laughed out loud when I saw the picture! :classic_biggrin:

1 hour ago, Palmetto Pilot said:

I love the Charleston pics! I'm a Charleston native born and raised. I miss home all the time. Glad you enjoyed it. The best part about TBONZ on the market is the dessert place called Kaminsky's right next to it!

Thanks so much! I saw the dessert place next door, but there was no way we could fit dessert. We couldn't even finish our lunch! :classic_biggrin:

1 hour ago, Shaded Lady said:

I loved Charleston... would love to cruise out of there some day! Great review, Jeff!

So did we! Thanks for following along again. :classic_cool:

1 minute ago, Cafedumonde said:

So sorry to hear about the elimination of the library.  I do not understand this as on all of our cruises, the library has always been heavily used.  This is a real turn off for us, and we will avoid Carnival ships without libraries.

Not a deal breaker for us, but I can see how it can be fore some. :classic_cool:

1 hour ago, pacruise804 said:

We've done two trips to Canada in balconies (Carnival Glory & Regal Princess) and I don't remember the fog horn being an issue, hopefully it won't be for you either.  Then again I don't think we had much fog 😮 😄 

We didn't see the water taxi until our walk back since we walked the Market first, then back down to the water (Battery?) before heading to the ship.  If we had known we might have taken it and explored the submarine.

It really was such a pretty port: great architecture, romance of the carriages and cobblestones, beautiful flowers and landscaping ❤️ 

ETA: It made me feel good to see that these beautiful churches are still being used and welcome the public.

We saw this on our walk too 🐱We have something like this where I live, but I think it's just coffee not wine.

The market was great too - so many choices.  I loved how much local artistry was there.  Even though we didn't find anything to take back, it was certainly a good shopping choice with different options and price points.  It was enjoyable talking to some of the artists too.

There were restrooms throughout the Market and portions were air conditioned.  There was also more shopping (individual full size stores) a block or so over from the Market.  There was an apiary based store that had a mead tasting, but we didn't want to hassle bringing it back on the ship.  Maybe a road trip is in our future 🙂 

This sums up my experience too.  It was a great day and I'm grateful for it, but it wasn't Bermuda 😉 Reflecting on it though, it did offer much of what Bermuda has apart from pink beaches: natural beauty, architecture, history, shopping.  I think there were even beaches you could take a taxi to or rent a car, but it wasn't really that warm and many might not have known about them.

Thanks again for sharing your experiences. This Charleston segment has developed a life of it's own, and we LOVE it! :classic_biggrin:

Haha not to hijack your thread but that pic of the dog outside the fire department brought back so many memories for me from past trips to Charleston/Folly Beach with my old dog, Maya. We had to snap a pic of her next to “Sparky”

8DE3BE7A-BFC3-4198-A192-EBD4BD8F8110.jpeg

• Like 6