Best time of year for Baltic: Copenhagan, Russia?

Janie1229

For weather concerns I am reading only high 70s in the summer months. I actually have concerns that it wouldn’t be warm enough during July. We are pricing for a 2021 trip at the moment. Any weather insight appreciated. We were hoping to have some pool time aboard in the evenings. 

27 minutes ago, ashmac8 said:

For weather concerns I am reading only high 70s in the summer months. I actually have concerns that it wouldn’t be warm enough during July. We are pricing for a 2021 trip at the moment. Any weather insight appreciated. We were hoping to have some pool time aboard in the evenings. 

Then, by all means book in July - you would be assured of more warm days in July versus May or September. Weather in the Baltics is unpredictable - you get what you get. It may be too cool in the evenings to comfortably enjoy the pool even in July. Or, it may be so hot on your tour date that your find the heat exhausting and a refreshing dip in the pool may be your ticket to enjoyment. We enjoy the ports visited so we are most concerned with congestion at the sights that we wish to visit. 

Temperatures have been increasing worldwide. If you check accuweather for June of 2019, you will note that the historical average in Saint Petersburg, Russia on June 8, 2019 is only 66 - the actual temperature on that date was 89. Combine 89 degrees with the facts that there is no air conditioning in the palaces, hordes of tourists inside the sights further adding to the combined heat and it would not be at all comfortable for us.

As for evenings on the Baltic, it will be cool while sailing on the water regardless of when you visit (unless you are docked in port on a warm day and visit the pool in the evening). 

Whichever dates you choose, it is a fantastic Baltic itinerary - enjoy!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dogs4fun said:

Then, by all means book in July - you would be assured of more warm days in July versus May or September. Weather in the Baltics is unpredictable - you get what you get. It may be too cool in the evenings to comfortably enjoy the pool even in July. Or, it may be so hot on your tour date that your find the heat exhausting and a refreshing dip in the pool may be your ticket to enjoyment. We enjoy the ports visited so we are most concerned with congestion at the sights that we wish to visit. 

Temperatures have been increasing worldwide. If you check accuweather for June of 2019, you will note that the historical average in Saint Petersburg, Russia on June 8, 2019 is only 66 - the actual temperature on that date was 89. Combine 89 degrees with the facts that there is no air conditioning in the palaces, hordes of tourists inside the sights further adding to the combined heat and it would not be at all comfortable for us.

As for evenings on the Baltic, it will be cool while sailing on the water regardless of when you visit (unless you are docked in port on a warm day and visit the pool in the evening). 

Whichever dates you choose, it is a fantastic Baltic itinerary - enjoy!

thanks good insight.  the no AC is definitely something to keep in mind.  enjoying reading this board while we try to plan things out. 

I was misleading in my post, I"m on the Sky Aug. 24th, 2020 for my Baltic cruise.

I would lean towards May, more reasonable, less people, temps not bad.  I'm doing the Aug. because I've done a TA plus Baltic April/May, want to do go again and try the Sky.  The TA after the Baltic cruise includes Belfast and Glasgow, haven't been there.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/7/2019 at 5:26 PM, dogs4fun said:

Weather in the Baltics is unpredictable - you get what you get.

You are right! But in the very high season it will be too crowded. I hate crowds.  I vote for May or September. Better to say – beginning of May or end of September. Aug could be a choice as well.

Jess

1 hour ago, CrazyJess said:

You are right! But in the very high season it will be too crowded. I hate crowds.  I vote for May or September. Better to say – beginning of May or end of September. Aug could be a choice as well.

I completely agree. We always travel during the shoulder seasons as tourist hordes are less intense.

We are interested in the ports of call, much less the ship.

My reply was in response to the post below wherein there is a desire to utilize the pool and concern that 70 degree temperatures would be too cool. 

On 11/7/2019 at 6:45 AM, ashmac8 said:

We are going in July because that is the best time to be able to take our 16 year old with us.  The weather sounds divine to be honest.  We live in Florida where we have one season 99% of the year … hot and muggy.  If I can handle the crowds here in Florida then I'll be able to handle the crowds in the Baltic.  

Hypothetically "crowd" can be defined by what you are used to.  What I think of as a "crowd" in Tampa is not the same thing as a "crowd" to someone from the middle of Idaho and certainly won't be what someone from a place like NYC or LA consider a "crowd."  LOL

Hypothetically "crowd" can be defined by what you are used to.  What I think of as a "crowd" in Tampa is not the same thing as a "crowd" to someone from the middle of Idaho and certainly won't be what someone from a place like NYC or LA consider a "crowd."  LOL

Great comment!  Perspective when cruising, also not setting unrealistic expectations and you'll be good to go!  I would say you will be very happy with the July weather!  I think humidity prepares one for anything!

23 hours ago, mamkmm2 said:

We are going in July because that is the best time to be able to take our 16 year old with us.  The weather sounds divine to be honest.  We live in Florida where we have one season 99% of the year … hot and muggy.  If I can handle the crowds here in Florida then I'll be able to handle the crowds in the Baltic.  

We are also going in July because that is when the ship and the itinerary we like are going. 

On 11/23/2019 at 12:45 PM, mamkmm2 said:

What part of Florida only has 4 days that aren't hot and muggy ?  This weeks weather in Tallahassee looks pretty nice to us . 

Tallahassee_zpscljhcj14.png

As a native Floridian who has resided here almost 70 years I would say that we have about half a year of nice weather and half a year of air conditioned weather . There are very few air conditioned buildings in Saint Petersburg and with 5 million people it does get crowded especially in the touristic buildings .

4 hours ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

What part of Florida only has 4 days that aren't hot and muggy ?  This weeks weather in Tallahassee looks pretty nice to us . 

Tallahassee_zpscljhcj14.png

As a native Floridian who has resided here almost 70 years I would say that we have about half a year of nice weather and half a year of air conditioned weather . There are very few air conditioned buildings in Saint Petersburg and with 5 million people it does get crowded especially in the touristic buildings .

My husband is also a native Floridian - has lived in Tampa his entire life - as were his parents before him.  I've been here since '75 when my dad was stationed at MacDill.  Tampa Bay area and South really does stay hot and muggy most of the year.  While I was a little facetious, not that much.  LOL  This Thanksgiving, unless the weather changes, will be in the low 80s here in Tampa Bay.

To me the 70s for "summer" is what we normally think of as winter my neck of Florida.  The weather I'm seeing is actually cooler than most of our "winter".  LOL  I was just in Tallahassee a couple of weeks ago doing some antiquing.  A couple of really nice antique malls there and despite - or maybe because - being on the Atlantic Coast, it was still several degrees cooler than what was being felt back home in Tampa.

The crowds won't be an issue either for us … Tampa has gotten where "five o'clock traffic" run from about 3 pm - 7 pm and that's during non-peak tourist season.  During peak tourist season and OMG, what a mess.