First time on Breakaway 9/29 - 10/6

allyfrizzle

My husband and I recently returned from the September 29 sailing of the Breakaway. While it was a good ship, it's far from our favorite, which remains the Escape. 

We were in cabin 12872, an angled balcony cabin located right by the elevators. The bed is more near the door, and there's a couch near the balcony. I requested a lounger from my steward and received it day two. So nice to just go outside and hang out alone. 

The crowd on the ship was probably the most diverse I've seen since I began cruising NCL a few years ago. I enjoyed the mix of people of all different ages from many different backgrounds. There were a lot of children aboard, which I didn't figure would be the case considering it's the beginning of the school year. 

I felt overall like the morale of the crew members was lower than other ships. Not many smiles or anyone trying to make conversation. Just people there to simply to their jobs. We did enjoy chatting with Dr. L in the Syd Norman's Pour House. But no other bartenders really tried to chat us up. Same with other service people we encountered, including in the shops, which we frequented. 

Food was great during our visit. We did the buffet more than I like to admit, because we were on funky schedules for other dining areas. We did enjoy sneaking away for breakfast at Margaritaville and Moderno to avoid the rush at the buffet. I really missed Food Republic from the Escape for a nice tapas meal. 

Le Bistro was amazing and service was good. Ocean Blue was phenomenal. I'd definitely go back again, maybe even twice. 

Entertainment, what we saw of it, was good. I loved the Syd Norman house band (70s -90s rock cover band) and the other cover band that played there, Switch.

Howl at the Moon entertainers were great. Rhonda, who was on the Escape a couple years ago, was there. I was so excited! The other two guys were also incredibly talented, though the music leaned heavily to 70s rock. I'd have loved more from the last 25 years but they were playing to the room. 

A duo called C Note were absolutely horrible. Tone deaf and bad singing. They ruined a couple pool hangouts for me. We avoided them. 

We didn't catch any shows but other people we chatted with said Rock of Ages was excellent. 

I'm used to partying at Spice H20 then heading to Bliss to dance the rest of the night away. The crowd on Breakaway wasn't very party, weird considering there were a lot of young people aboard. The layout for Bliss is closed, versus being an open dance floor like on the Escape.

I think the cruise director Clay did a poor job of advertising/hyping up the dance/theme nights, therefore hardly anyone showed up (except for the glow party). He was overall very dry and unenthusiastic. Nothing like past CDs I've sailed with. Hearing his announcements in the morning was like listening to the teacher on Charlie Brown. No smile in his voice, no excitement for what he was selling. 

The Breakaway felt incredibly familiar from the first time we stepped aboard because she's so similar to Getaway and Escape. But both those ships are better for various reasons and I can't quite narrow it down to any one thing. Breakaway just isn't as much fun. We still had a great time on our seven days away, regardless. Good food, met awesome people from all over the US, danced a lot, ate a lot, soaked up plenty of sun! 

I have a lot of pictures I'll add to this post once I upload them. Feel free to ask any questions! 

Edited by allyfrizzle

1 hour ago, allyfrizzle said:

Food was great during our visit. We did the buffet more than I like to admit, because we were on funky schedules for other dining areas. We did enjoy sneaking away for breakfast at Margaritaville and Moderno to avoid the rush at the buffet. I really missed Food Republic from the Escape for a nice tapas meal. 

While I have had good meals in the MDRs, the buffets and in most of the specialty restaurants, I think Food Republic is perhaps the most interesting and desirable restaurant in the BCL fleet.