Breakfast or lunch conversation

lenquixote66

10 minutes ago, ldubs said:

For a short period of time I had visions of working for the Fed Reserve Bank, but never had near enough the credentials.  I guess it was for the best because things turned out OK. 

My reference to bank Asst VP was really just tonge-in-cheek because everyone seems to be kind of down about the title. 

I graduated college with a dual major of Psychology and Sociology .I tried working as a Social Worker but I did not care for that.

6 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I cannot do links.I told you that once before.The article appeared in Irish American Magazine in March 2009.It is a monthly publication.You can read the entire article if you wish .

The Kennedy family's tie to organized crime was pretty openly discussed. Even I can recall that.  Doesn't mean it is true of course, but I wouldn't think it would seem to be such a surprise.   

2 minutes ago, clo said:

Okay, here ya go.  "Irish Mafia" which had no similarity to the 'real' mafia.

https://www.irishcentral.com/roots/history/jfk-john-f-kennedy-white-house-irish-mafia

I have no idea why you can't share links.  Aren't you working on a computer?

I told you that I cannot use a computer because the keys are too hard for me to use due to my disability.I have a special sort of I-pad with a sort of stylus .I tend to make a lot of spelling mistakes because it is too difficult for me to correct errors.I cannot do links or anything else that I was able to do when I was healthy.

Just now, lenquixote66 said:

I told you that I cannot use a computer because the keys are too hard for me to use due to my disability.I have a special sort of I-pad with a sort of stylus .I tend to make a lot of spelling mistakes because it is too difficult for me to correct errors.I cannot do links or anything else that I was able to do when I was healthy.

With all sympathy you didn't tell me that and I hadn't read it.  

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

That is wonderful .I am sure she is an inspiration to everyone who knows her.

Hopefully someday we will be on a cruise with both of you.

Unfortunately she isn’t allowed fly, and as my back deteriorates we only cruise local to Australia.

37 minutes ago, clo said:

Okay, here ya go.  "Irish Mafia" which had no similarity to the 'real' mafia.

I wouldn't get too hung up on the word Mafia. It is just a generalised term for organised crime of Italian origin. Even in Italy they don't refer to themselves as mafia but names like 'Ndrangheta or Cosa Nostra. At the end of the day whether it is triad, yakuza, cartel, mob or gangs they all have similar internal structures (economic and social) and mirror each other in behaviour. Whatever their label it doesn't make the bad things they do any less real. 

6 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

I wouldn't get too hung up on the word Mafia. It is just a generalised term for organised crime of Italian origin. Even in Italy they don't refer to themselves as mafia but names like 'Ndrangheta or Cosa Nostra. At the end of the day whether it is triad, yakuza, cartel, mob or gangs they all have similar internal structures (economic and social) and mirror each other in behaviour. Whatever their label it doesn't make the bad things they do any less real. 

I hear ya but is he saying that the Kennedys were that kind of "mafia" or simply (or not) a group who had common goals...and not bad goals.

1 hour ago, clo said:

I hear ya but is he saying that the Kennedys were that kind of "mafia" or simply (or not) a group who had common goals...and not bad goals.

Oops😯. It seems I misunderstood what you and Lenny were discussing. I went back through the posts, read the article I see now what you were disputing. Sorry about that. From what I read I would agree with your interpretation. In the Kennedy case it seems to me "mafia" was used in a the way we would use the word "clique" today. Though a part of me wonders if using the term "mafia" wasn't a strategic move by the media to sensationalise and perhaps stoke a bit of fear that the Catholics were taking over🤔.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

I suppose there might be a few, but hardly enough to get upset about.  There are also people who wear aluminum foil hats to prevent the CIA from reading their thoughts.  

In any event, , when you mention a surname ending in a vowel, are you referring to names like Morse, Blake, or Blaine or do you mean a pronounced vowel — like Obama, or Kennedy?   While I imagine there are some people who do not think well of bearers of those last two names, I have never heard anyone linking them with organized crime.

You forgot Kowalski, Popescu, and Duda. 

9 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

In the Kennedy case it seems to me "mafia" was used in a the way we would use the word "clique" today. Though a part of me wonders if using the term "mafia" wasn't a strategic move by the media to sensationalise and perhaps stoke a bit of fear that the Catholics were taking over🤔.

If I were to bet, I'd support that notion.  I was in high school in Atlanta at the time and there was 'fear' about a catholic president.

1 hour ago, clo said:

If I were to bet, I'd support that notion.  I was in high school in Atlanta at the time and there was 'fear' about a catholic president.

I was not in high school at the time but I recall the same thing.

Something of interest to you or perhaps not.A cousin of mine relocated from NY to a suburb of Atlanta .His children relocated (after college) from Ga to Reno,NV). I thought of that last night when you posted that you went to school in Atlanta.

We usually eat breakfast in the MDR and like meeting new people to discuss the cruise, where they are from, etc. When I was in the investment industry I did regret telling people what I did on a few occasions when people wanted and sometimes insisted I give them stock tips. My standard response was that I was only licenced in Canada so I could give any investment advice to Canadians in Canada. If that didn't work I'd ask them what size their portfolio was because my advice would cost them a percentage of that amount.  That shut them up. 😉

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

We usually eat breakfast in the MDR and like meeting new people to discuss the cruise, where they are from, etc. When I was in the investment industry I did regret telling people what I did on a few occasions when people wanted and sometimes insisted I give them stock tips. My standard response was that I was only licenced in Canada so I could give any investment advice to Canadians in Canada. If that didn't work I'd ask them what size their portfolio was because my advice would cost them a percentage of that amount.  That shut them up. 😉

I have a family member who is a Financial Planner and an avid cruiser.He often got similar questions.

On 10/11/2019 at 8:54 AM, ilikeanswers said:

Sarajevo is amazing and it is not even that far from Mostar. I can't believe how many people skip it. The country of Georgia is one I have yet to tick off on my bucket list.

I personally enjoy talking to people about their travel experiences especially if they have done things I haven't. It is great to hear how other people view the world. If someone told me they cruised a lot I wouldn't think they were boasting I would be thinking, great someone with a lot of experience perhaps I can get some tips🤗.

I would love to go to Sarajevo and visit the remnants of the old bobsled track.  I still know people who slid there.  It's now covered in graffiti and overgrowth.  But, still, a piece of history.  Like the track in Calgary - they started bulldozing it down today.  

Maybe if I didn't work in a hotel I would like to talk with people on cruises.  But, I have so much chit chat with guests about their travels, where they are from, where they going to, why did they come to my town...  The only things I can't talk about are politics (unless it is a political person checking in - I may say "thank you for what you are doing") and religion.  So, what I can't talk about at work, I can't talk about on a cruise.  So, I just keep to myself and enjoy the silence...

23 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

I would love to go to Sarajevo and visit the remnants of the old bobsled track.  I still know people who slid there.  It's now covered in graffiti and overgrowth.  But, still, a piece of history.  Like the track in Calgary - they started bulldozing it down today.  

Maybe if I didn't work in a hotel I would like to talk with people on cruises.  But, I have so much chit chat with guests about their travels, where they are from, where they going to, why did they come to my town...  The only things I can't talk about are politics (unless it is a political person checking in - I may say "thank you for what you are doing") and religion.  So, what I can't talk about at work, I can't talk about on a cruise.  So, I just keep to myself and enjoy the silence...

I try to never discuss religion or politics on a cruise.However,I happen to know many current office holders and if one of them is being discussed I tend to join the discussion.

On 10/11/2019 at 12:27 PM, ducklite said:

I think his point is that we don't care how many cruises someone has been on, so why even bring it up unless specifically asked?

It's like holding up your finger and stating how many carats your ring is when no one cares and no one has even asked about it (and no one with any manners ever would!)

Hi

… but, that's the point of "small talk", it isn't about anything important. Talking about the weather, is typical. If you approach someone and don't ask any question (in your scenario) there would be no conversation. What I was saying, was that you can steer the conversation to where you feel comfortable. If the person can't grasp what you are doing, then you can just leave, after all there is no commitment. If you didn't want to have any conversation to begin with, then I suggested the table for two, that many request, often because they just can't be bothered or don't know how to converse with strangers.