Teen Club- Niece Turns 18 two weeks before cruise...

2 hours ago, akcruz said:

Not to argue with you but my son turned 18 on a cruise a while back and continued to use the teen club throughout the cruise.  Yes, he did go to the club, not just hang out with others.   Did this change at some point recently??

As said Age is what are first day of Cruise. Been this way over 20yrs when my kids were younger. 

Edited by ONECRUISER

16 hours ago, grapau27 said:

If you are cruising in Europe at 18 she can drink alcohol  in the bars and nightclub on board.

In the US it is 21.

Unless New York has changed its laws, I was able to drive from PA to NY and purchase drinks at bars when I was 18.  Can't imagine why an 18 year old would want to hang out in a Kids Club.

1 minute ago, Snit13 said:

Unless New York has changed its laws, I was able to drive from PA to NY and purchase drinks at bars when I was 18.  Can't imagine why an 18 year old would want to hang out in a Kids Club.

Around 1985 the drinking age went to 21 nationwide.

• Like 2

On 10/11/2019 at 9:30 AM, Lionesss said:

Oh kids will be kids, and that period of 18-20 can be frustrating for them on board.

I agree. If your kids like doing family stuff, or they have friends/relatives onboard, or if they like sports, it's easier. But they are at an age where they aren't allowed to be in the kids' clubs and they can't really do the adult stuff either. So it can be frustrating.

10 minutes ago, Snit13 said:

Just because someone turns 18 it doesn't mean they change overnight.  As has been said here before most kids are still in high school in the US when they turn 18, and therefore want to stick with the kids they are used to being around.  This was the case for my son.  The bigger change is when kids go to college, some are over 18 while some may still be 17.  I get why we place hard lines in the sand for ages, but during the teen years there is such a wide variety of maturity levels it is not so cut and dry, especially when you look at the differences between high school and college.

1 hour ago, marci22 said:

I agree. If your kids like doing family stuff, or they have friends/relatives onboard, or if they like sports, it's easier. But they are at an age where they aren't allowed to be in the kids' clubs and they can't really do the adult stuff either. So it can be frustrating.

A great reason to book a European cruise as the legal drinking age is only 18 and 18 year olds can drink alcohol on board ship.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

A great reason to book a European cruise as the legal drinking age is only 18 and 18 year olds can drink alcohol on board ship.

NCL allows parents to sign beer/wine waivers for young adults, but really, 18 year olds can do anything 21+’s can do except drink. My 19 and 20 year olds met a lot of people’s their ages on our last cruise.

1 hour ago, Snit13 said:

To purchase or consume alcohol in New York state changed to 21 yo in December of 1985.

Sorry Bob, beat me to it

Edited by 70SS350

12 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

NCL allows parents to sign beer/wine waivers for young adults, but really, 18 year olds can do anything 21+’s can do except drink. My 19 and 20 year olds met a lot of people’s their ages on our last cruise.

I agree it is unfair for the 18-21 age groups on RCCL.

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

I agree it is unfair for the 18-21 age groups on RCCL.

Sorry to disagree (and we usually agree), there’s nothing unfair. Young people aged 18-21 can do anything those over 21 do on a ship, except drink alcohol. There are many people over the age of 21 who choose not to drink alcohol for many reasons.  It’s unfortunate  that many people feel you can’t have a good time without alcohol.  They can dance, go to shows, sit and listen to music, multiple sports activities, etc.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Grandma Dazzles said:

Sorry to disagree (and we usually agree), there’s nothing unfair. Young people aged 18-21 can do anything those over 21 do on a ship, except drink alcohol. There are many people over the age of 21 who choose not to drink alcohol for many reasons.  It’s unfortunate  that many people feel you can’t have a good time without alcohol.  They can dance, go to shows, sit and listen to music, multiple sports activities, etc.  

Thanks,you are absolutely right.

Being from the UK the legal drinking age is 18 so anyone 18-21 in Europe who are used to drinking alcohol will feel aggrieved if they go to the US and can't drink because unfortunately a lot of their social activities revolve around drinking.

Unfortunately the full bars,DL,CL and drinks packages show alcohol on cruise ships is a major element of most people's cruises.

For 18-21 year olds in the US where alcohol is not legal they know this all their young lives so will not be a shock to them like it is for Europeans coming to the US.

48 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Thanks,you are absolutely right.

Being from the UK the legal drinking age is 18 so anyone 18-21 in Europe who are used to drinking alcohol will feel aggrieved if they go to the US and can't drink because unfortunately a lot of their social activities revolve around drinking.

Unfortunately the full bars,DL,CL and drinks packages show alcohol on cruise ships is a major element of most people's cruises.

For 18-21 year olds in the US where alcohol is not legal they know this all their young lives so will not be a shock to them like it is for Europeans coming to the US.

Well, to be fair, even though the drinking age is 21, many young adults drink. I’m guessing my current college students drink more than I do, and only one is 21. Definitely more daging at least!

4 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

Well, to be fair, even though the drinking age is 21, many young adults drink. I’m guessing my current college students drink more than I do, and only one is 21. Definitely more daging at least!

I can understand that.

Many 14-18 year olds drink illegally here in the UK.