Cruise Critic Community
californiacruisefreak

Live From Millennium - Super Typhoon Higibis

I am on the Celebrity Millennium. We departed Tokyo on October 2 for a 10 day sailing. Weather has been fabulous except for one rough night. My balcony door blew off its tracks with high winds.

Our itinerary was changed. When we were in Aomori it was announced that the port of Yokohama has been closed. We were supposed to dock there today. Instead we went back south on the Sea of Japan instead of taking the Pacific route to Yokohama. The cruise has been extended by two days and will arrive in Yokohama on Monday, October 14 instead of Saturday,  October 12. The port of Nagasaki has been added for today. We are arriving at 130pm. Many passengers disembarking there. Weather should be sunny and mid 80s. It is 520am as I write this and it is balmy outside. Very calm seas. Celebrity has done an amazing job on all fronts! Very impressed in general with the Millennium and staff. A++. This is coming from a perspective of being a Silversea and Seabourn lover. Many aspects of this cruise are not only on par, but superior to true "luxury" lines. Keep in mind even though Millennium has been "Revolutionized" it is the oldest ship in the fleet.  To be able to provide this level of service all around is impressive. As a disclaimer, I am speaking as a suite passenger. 

Appreciate the update and glad to hear that Celebrity is doing a great job.

I saw the Typhoon banner on Celebrity’s website earlier today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

so what happens to people who have flights to get from Tokyo - will Celebrity reimburse them if they have to change flights or make other arrangements?

just curious as we're on Millennium in March 2021 and that is finishing in Yokohama

I would imagine the flights they were supposed to be on are canceled as well.  So should not cost anything to rebook to a better time.  Worst case scenario, spend a few more days in Japan 

11 hours ago, Muffinz said:

so what happens to people who have flights to get from Tokyo - will Celebrity reimburse them if they have to change flights or make other arrangements?

just curious as we're on Millennium in March 2021 and that is finishing in Yokohama

Also a reason to have good trip insurance.  Unless you booked air via Celebrity Air program, you are on your own to rebook your travel home.  In these situations they generally provide complimentary phone calls (and possibly some internet minutes) for you to get things straightened out but the actual air changes are your responsibility.

Reading the first post gives me a sense of deja vu -- we were on the Millennium in the fall of 2018 when the trans-Pacific crossing was impacted by Typhoon Trami (the ship missed Shimuzu and headed into Yokohama a day early).  The 210 (or so) B2B passengers were evacuated off the ship and put into hotels at Celebrity's expense.  Boarding passengers were instructed to stay in their hotels for an additional night, and given a phone number to call if the hotel could not accommodate them.  Passengers who missed the e-mail and showed up at the Yokohama cruise terminal to board the ship were also provided hotels at Celebrity's expense.  The second leg of that B2B was impacted by another typhoon (Kong-Rei) so our itinerary was changed more than once.  I was also impressed with how well Celebrity handled the situation.

Since we were on a B2B our flights were not impacted.  But our compensation from Celebrity was, in my opinion, generous.

2 hours ago, FeelingCruisy said:

I would imagine the flights they were supposed to be on are canceled as well.  So should not cost anything to rebook to a better time.  Worst case scenario, spend a few more days in Japan 

I work for an airline and our flights to and from Japan have been cancelled tomorrow and next day 

If you get the chance I would love to hear what you think Celebrity has done great compared to those luxury lines.  (After many cruises on Celebrity, I left and tried several cruises on Crystal, and came back to Celebrity.) 

Thanks  and enjoy. 

2 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

Reading the first post gives me a sense of deja vu -- we were on the Millennium in the fall of 2018 when the trans-Pacific crossing was impacted by Typhoon Trami (the ship missed Shimuzu and headed into Yokohama a day early).  The 210 (or so) B2B passengers were evacuated off the ship and put into hotels at Celebrity's expense.  Boarding passengers were instructed to stay in their hotels for an additional night, and given a phone number to call if the hotel could not accommodate them.  Passengers who missed the e-mail and showed up at the Yokohama cruise terminal to board the ship were also provided hotels at Celebrity's expense.  The second leg of that B2B was impacted by another typhoon (Kong-Rei) so our itinerary was changed more than once.  I was also impressed with how well Celebrity handled the situation.

Since we were on a B2B our flights were not impacted.  But our compensation from Celebrity was, in my opinion, generous.

We were also this cruise and flew home from Tokyo on Sept 30th. Celebrity changed our flight as we booked cruise air which we always do if we are travelling overseas. They were so organizatied. Very impressed OntarioCruiser

On 10/10/2019 at 3:21 PM, californiacruisefreak said:

I am on the Celebrity Millennium. We departed Tokyo on October 2 for a 10 day sailing. Weather has been fabulous except for one rough night. My balcony door blew off its tracks with high winds.

Our itinerary was changed. When we were in Aomori it was announced that the port of Yokohama has been closed. We were supposed to dock there today. Instead we went back south on the Sea of Japan instead of taking the Pacific route to Yokohama. The cruise has been extended by two days and will arrive in Yokohama on Monday, October 14 instead of Saturday,  October 12. The port of Nagasaki has been added for today. We are arriving at 130pm. Many passengers disembarking there. Weather should be sunny and mid 80s. It is 520am as I write this and it is balmy outside. Very calm seas. Celebrity has done an amazing job on all fronts! Very impressed in general with the Millennium and staff. A++. This is coming from a perspective of being a Silversea and Seabourn lover. Many aspects of this cruise are not only on par, but superior to true "luxury" lines. Keep in mind even though Millennium has been "Revolutionized" it is the oldest ship in the fleet.  To be able to provide this level of service all around is impressive. As a disclaimer, I am speaking as a suite passenger. 

Thank you so  much for this update.  We have friends (two sisters in their 80s) who are on board with you and it is such a relief to hear from your end.  My husband and I were supposed to be on this sailing with them but due to serious medical emergency, had to cancel.

Upon hearing of the typhoon, I resorted to this board to see if there were any news.  With your posting, I was able to pass it on to their family.  My appreciation again for your time and kind thoughts in sharing and I hope you will continue to keep us posted (whenever you are able and have the means of communication, if any as it may be limited).  

Thank you and I pray that you all have safe travels back to home.