Must pay for massage appointment in advance to hold it?

ShyannDay

I have an upcoming cruise in 16 days.  I've cruised with Princess 5 times over the last 2 years.  I always reserve massages in the Lotus spa, but just now when I logged in to the Cruise personalizer it said my spa appointments were not confirmed until I paid for them.  " Reservations are not confirmed and can be reserved by other guests until payment is recieved" (Yes, they really did spell "recieved" that way).  And above where my appointments are in the cart it says "You do not have any spa treatments reserved yet."  Is this something brand new?  I couldn't find anything about it when I searched the forum.   I have never paid for a massage in advance.  I don't like this change.

I’m not sure I would consider this new.  From what I can tell, the cruise personalizer requires you to pay for reservations made through that platform.  Your experience isn’t limited to spa reservations.  It also applies to excursions.

Because of this I don’t book spa services in the personalizer prior to a cruise.  I’m always able to get what I wan when I’m on board.  Now, when it comes to ensuring that we have a cabana on Princess Cays, I kind of have to suck it up and pre-pay.

• Like 1

Tried to "buy" some adult beverage before our upcoming cruise but couldn't use our hefty OBC to pay. Princess told our TA the other day that only excursions can be paid in advance (prior to boarding). I will have to wait to get on board before completing my purchase. Not looking to pay in advance on CC when I have hundreds of $$ of OBC.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jeromep said:

I’m not sure I would consider this new.  From what I can tell, the cruise personalizer requires you to pay for reservations made through that platform.  Your experience isn’t limited to spa reservations.  It also applies to excursions.

Because of this I don’t book spa services in the personalizer prior to a cruise.  I’m always able to get what I wan when I’m on board.  Now, when it comes to ensuring that we have a cabana on Princess Cays, I kind of have to suck it up and pre-pay.

While you might not consider it new, it is.  I have pre-booked every time I've cruised and NEVER had to prepay for spa services.

Edited by ShyannDay
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Katwoman007 said:

I have never had to prepay spa treatments I booked online. 😕 Maybe there is a glitch?

I don't think so.  With the wording that I quoted in my original post, it looks like it's for real.  See screenshot below.

Also spa appointments used to be listed under "Onboard Reservations" and my appointments no longer appear there.

image.thumb.png.fb056aace17b70305ca1a9f27a76b78d.png

2 hours ago, paradiselivin1 said:

Tried to "buy" some adult beverage before our upcoming cruise but couldn't use our hefty OBC to pay. Princess told our TA the other day that only excursions can be paid in advance (prior to boarding). I will have to wait to get on board before completing my purchase. Not looking to pay in advance on CC when I have hundreds of $$ of OBC.

I agree about the OBC.  But obviously the Princess rep told your TA incorrect info.  I've always paid for internet ahead of time and once a premium drink package - those I'll pay ahead of time but never a spa appointment.

2 hours ago, ShyannDay said:

I agree about the OBC.  But obviously the Princess rep told your TA incorrect info.  I've always paid for internet ahead of time and once a premium drink package - those I'll pay ahead of time but never a spa appointment.

Why is it OK with you to pay those others items ahead of time but not the spa appointment?

Edited by bemis12

18 hours ago, ShyannDay said:

" Reservations are not confirmed and can be reserved by other guests until payment is recieved" (Yes, they really did spell "recieved" that way).

This reminds me of looking at cruises on the Princess site. They have a link that says "show more dates". Once you have done that it says "show less dates". GAH!!! I wish they would learn to spell and learn grammar. You can't show "less" dates. You can show "fewer" dates but not less. It's a simple grammar rule but they have no clue how the language works.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, bemis12 said:

Why is it OK with you to pay those others items ahead of time but not the spa appointment?

Because those two items I mentioned are "fixed" items.  I will get internet service (even though it's not always been the fastest) and I would get the drinks I asked for on the drinks package.  Too often my massage appointments have been changed to a different time and one time the service I booked was not available due to staff availability.  The other reason is the amount of money being charged - the spa is very overpriced and I know that and book anyway but why should I give them my $480 (for 2 massages) weeks ahead?  Also, you can't use onboard credit for this when you book online so now that my card has been charged I'll have to spend time fixing this at guest services.

Edited by ShyannDay

On 10/10/2019 at 8:51 PM, ShyannDay said:

I have an upcoming cruise in 16 days.  I've cruised with Princess 5 times over the last 2 years.  I always reserve massages in the Lotus spa, but just now when I logged in to the Cruise personalizer it said my spa appointments were not confirmed until I paid for them.  " Reservations are not confirmed and can be reserved by other guests until payment is recieved" (Yes, they really did spell "recieved" that way).  And above where my appointments are in the cart it says "You do not have any spa treatments reserved yet."  Is this something brand new?  I couldn't find anything about it when I searched the forum.   I have never paid for a massage in advance.  I don't like this change.

Yes.  New policy.  You can always wait until you are on board to make an appointment and pay.  Your choice.