Almost Live - First Time Azamara to Southeast Asia

hubofhockey

4 hours ago, tompeter said:

Loving your report!

Great that some can get something from this.  

There really wasn't much going on the ship tonight . . .  if you're not a fan of ballroom dancing.

The destinations speaker (a professor) has just done a really nice job explaining why the Vietnamese dislike China.  We've been to Hong Kong and now Vietnam and that sense seems to be universal.  Azamara really does justice to destination immersion.  They walk the walk.  I'm doing a private Mekong Delta excursion with Water Buffalo tours.  I found them on Youtube where  Vlogger Kyle.Le, who does great Asian videos, goes on a tour with the owner,  The tour is called Mekong Delta like a local.  We'll see.  White Night party is also tomorrow night.  Should be interesting.

I paid a visit to the future cruise desk for a one on appointment with the head guy who does the talks.  He explained all of the ins and outs of the program.  Looking at Azamara vs Oceania vs Princess for April 2021 (cherry blossoms blooming).  Sun Princess is cheapest.  Oceania is in the middle and Azamara is more expensive.  The FC guy and I discussed the Oceania and Azamara itineraries.  O is 10 nights and AZ is 15 nights, but AZ has one day of "scenic cruising" and 4 of 10 nights on O are sea days.  My current TA was offering very little in incentives and he explained to me that I could always find someone who had big incentives. I went online (I know how to find those TAs) and found some with a substantial amount of OBC to combine with AZ's booking onboard OBC and booking onboard 4% discount.  It turned what looked to be me booking O to understanding why I would want to book the Pursuit.  I am still hoping for a price drop and can always move the booking to another cruise even out into 2023.  I am not saying that I would never book Oceania, but I like the known product.  I have an OV booked because these Japan April itineraries are hot but I'm hoping some promotion will get us up to a veranda cabin or even get an opportunity to bid for an upgrade.  We have the suite as an upgrade and it's a pretty nice thing to have, but we like the product beyond the cabin. It's a long ways off and we'll see how it plays out.  

• Like 2

17 hours ago, hubofhockey said:

The port speaker on the ship is excellent and it demonstrates this line's investment in destination immersion.  THIS is a difference.  I'm considering an Oceania itinerary, but it would be hard to believe they could match Azamara in this area.  I would only choose Oceania for the price difference (thinking Japan in 2021 and Azamara has overheated pricing).  

I am very pleased to hear you have an excellent destination speaker on your cruise. It can make such a difference to a cruise.

Unfortunately we have had variable success with Azamara destination speakers.

Last year on our 3 week South America cruise, the first speaker had to be shown the gangway after his first lecture!

The replacement speaker I think lasted 2 lectures before he also was shown the gangway!

And on our cruise just finished to Taiwan and the Philippines (a one-off itinerary that was unique for Azamara), there was NO destination speaker at all !!!

Having said that, we have always found Chuck to be excellent and he really does his homework.

• Like 1

Hubofhockey, enjoy the tour with Water Buffalo Tours, we used them on our Azamara Cruise in 2016.  The exact same tour...very immersive! Excellent value and one of the best guides we had thoughtout our cruise. We ended up driving through the start of a wedding reception, and all the catering staff had to raise the decorations and decorated gazebos, yet no one wasphased by it!   Fortunately the rear windows of our van were blacked out so they couldnt see two westerners in the back!  Lunch at the house with the family was delightful!    Can't wait to see your photos! 

• Like 1

1. Thanks Bonnie.  The booking is in place.  Whether we wind up going on that one or moving it further out is another thing.  Fernando explained to me that the important thing is to get A booking onboard in order to get Azamara's savings.  Japan is on our list and that is the cherry blossom season.  He thinks the Japan prices will only go up, but that there could be promotions.  
  2. Futian, that's too bad that we are just "lucky" on the destination speaker and that you can get bad ones.  I had figured that this was Azamara's thing and important to them.  I would think Taiwan and Philippines would merit a top speaker.   That seems like a destination itinerary.    

Edited by hubofhockey

21 minutes ago, hubofhockey said:
  1. Thanks Bonnie.  The booking is in place.  Whether we wind up going on that one or moving it further out is another thing.  Fernando explained to me that the important thing is to get A booking onboard in order to get Azamara's savings.  Japan is on our list and that is the cherry blossom season.  He thinks the Japan prices will only go up, but that there could be promotions. 

Len, what sailing 4/11 or 4/26? New ship Pursuit...

That looks like a great itinerary as long as the ports don't change or get cancelled for some reason.

Long day in Saigon and did Mekong like a local tour with Water Buffalo Tours.  They had five different Azamara tours going on, three who did the tour I was doing.  First stop was a local Vietnamese temple, which are similar to others, but it's a slightly different different.  We went to a local market, road bikes along the countryside and you could smell the rice in the rice patties.  Lunch was great and then took a 25 minute boat ride deep in the Mekong Delta.  I'll post photos later, but it was beautiful.  Got stuck in an amazing traffic jam that got back well into white night.

They brought in local dancers for the white night.  They were pretty good.  Good luck finding a table at these things.  The food was "okay" but not great.  The white night party itself, seemed pretty forgetful.  Some seemed to enjoy it, but most didn't seem into it.  In retrospect, we should have gone out to dinner to a nice restaurant in Saigon.  That's what we usually do at nights in cities and have a good night out planned in Bangkok.  Oh well, live and learn.  

Got to watch Monday Night Football on ESPN in the room before heading out to the excursion.  It was 26-0 for the Patriots, so that helped get the day started off great.  I figured I'd miss the game on this vacation, so nice bonus.  

Early day tomorrow with tour of Saigon (8 am to 12:30 pm).  My observation is the Saigonese see themselves as a bit different and even though the city is referred to as Ho Chi Minh City officially and in the north, in Saigon, the sense I got is that it's still Saigon, and it's a city of over 10 million, very much different than elsewhere in Vietman.

Len:

I loved reading your blog.  Vietnam was one of our favorite destinations.  We were there several years ago, but we would love to go back.  As far as breakfast on Azamara, on our last cruise we had shore excursions almost every day that started early in the morning.  We were in a CC suite and we used the room service breakfast as a wake-up call.  When our butler came in with breakfast and set up the table, with the tablecloth, we knew it was time to get up and start our day.  Since I am a devoted morning coffee lover we also had them deliver a pot of coffee in addition to our morning lattes.  We really enjoyed our cruise and will be returning again in 2022.  By the way, did you think about upgrading the alcohol package.  We found that the selections included with the CC package were not to our liking, so we used some of our onboard credit to upgrade our selections.  We too loved Prime 7 and ate their many nights and became quite friendly with the maitre d.  Have a great cruise.

This was not my favorite of  four this fall. The food was fine but something was off as a new CD and a new mix of songs.  The after party people had fun.as far as Sashi and Demi ,,brilliant. But agree you have to like it. Tomorrow’s I have seen one to  many times.

but I find  plenty to dance about  at night 

Very much enjoying your posts and thank you.  It is a cruise we would love to take.  How was the sail up the river into HCM?  Was it interesting, was there plenty to see?  I did check for the ship position and it looks like you are bang in the centre - how fabulous.

7 hours ago, Ladys Mom said:

Len:

I loved reading your blog.  Vietnam was one of our favorite destinations.  We were there several years ago, but we would love to go back.  As far as breakfast on Azamara, on our last cruise we had shore excursions almost every day that started early in the morning.  We were in a CC suite and we used the room service breakfast as a wake-up call.  When our butler came in with breakfast and set up the table, with the tablecloth, we knew it was time to get up and start our day.  Since I am a devoted morning coffee lover we also had them deliver a pot of coffee in addition to our morning lattes.  We really enjoyed our cruise and will be returning again in 2022.  By the way, did you think about upgrading the alcohol package.  We found that the selections included with the CC package were not to our liking, so we used some of our onboard credit to upgrade our selections.  We too loved Prime 7 and ate their many nights and became quite friendly with the maitre d.  Have a great cruise.

We don't drink enough to seriously consider upgrading the alcohol package, but agree the complimentary package falls short.  I have a couple of glasses of wine at dinner - either the Pinot Noir or Cabernet.  It's "okay".  I've had only a few cocktails.  Once they mix the sugary mixed in, I doubt it makes much difference.

I didn't realize the great balcony breakfasts are a CC suite thing.  Well, one more benefit to our upgrade.  We paid $1220 in total for it and the verdict is that it is worth it.  The larger room, nice shower, $360 worth of specialty restaurants, and the breakfasts, along with slightly upgraded service levels made the $81 per day bid worth it.  

Docking position in Saigon is great. Nice views on both sides.  I love this itinerary.  It was a once in a lifetime trip, but I just love how different this is and I'm glad I did this on a line like Azamara and not on a bigger ship that can't get anywhere close to Saigon and later Bangkok.   This is not a knock on Celebrity and I love the M class ships.

6 minutes ago, Trend said:

Question what makes the CC breakfast on the balcony different

I can't speak to the menu, which is pretty complete, but they set out a table cloth on the balcony table with place settings.  Does this happen with standard veranda room service?  In any case, I'll find out next time because the upgrade I'd be hoping for will be OV to Veranda.    Maybe someone who knows can better answer this question.  I know there is a thread on suite inclusions.

50 minutes ago, hubofhockey said:

I can't speak to the menu, which is pretty complete, but they set out a table cloth on the balcony table with place settings.  Does this happen with standard veranda room service?  In any case, I'll find out next time because the upgrade I'd be hoping for will be OV to Veranda.    Maybe someone who knows can better answer this question.  I know there is a thread on suite inclusions.

Yes it happens on a Veranda.  It the same breakfast and room service menu for everyone on board. I hope it remains that way with the current rumblings and surveys that are coming from Azamara.  No room for class distinction on Azamara if you ask me.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, aussie travel bird said:

Yes it happens on a Veranda.  It the same breakfast and room service menu for everyone on board. I hope it remains that way with the current rumblings and surveys that are coming from Azamara.  No room for class distinction on Azamara if you ask me.  

This is great news.  I have an OV booked for 4/26/21 in Japan and was hoping to move up to verandah when the next special comes up.  It's a really nice option.

We had 1/2 day in Saigon this morning and did a Jeep tour.  These are done on Jeeps left by USA after the war and renovated and a great way to see the city, since the views from open Jeeps are great.  We stopped in Reunification Palace, the Old Post Office, a shop that makes lacquerware,  the Ben Tranh Market, and the Fine Arts Museum (replaced the war museum with that).  I am not going to get political at all here, but I do have a lot of respect for Viet Nam veterans and we treated them poorly on their return.  I wouldn't do tunnels or anything glorifying the war out of respect to them.  That's all.  The Vietnamese have moved past the war.  The people in South Vietnam see things differently than others.  It's fascinating getting all perspectives.  Saigon has 12 to 13 million people and that is something I never would have guessed.  The three ports and five days in Vietnam have been great.  Tomorrow is a sea day.  We are doing the Rijasttafel (Rice Table) tonight and French Chef's Table tomorrow.  After that, it's three days in Bangkok and a day in Ko Samui, Thailand.  

I am enjoying the BBQs by the pool when they have them.  Today's Asian BBQ was very good.  Still kicking myself for not going out to dinner in Saigon (HCMC) last night, but I did want to experience white night event.  NOW, I know better.

Robin, we actually ate at the table inside the room today.  It will only be getting hotter as we head to Thailand.

3 hours ago, hubofhockey said:

I am not going to get political at all here, but I do have a lot of respect for Viet Nam veterans and we treated them poorly on their return.  I wouldn't do tunnels or anything glorifying the war out of respect to them.  That's all.  The Vietnamese have moved past the war.  The people in South Vietnam see things differently than others.  It's fascinating getting all perspectives.

Did you not see the many Vietnamise still suffering horrifically because of the Agent Orange 'herbicide' sprayed by some of those veterans? It was highly illuminating, and humbling, to be there and read the true accounts of what happened in Vietnam! Most of what was reported to USA citizens, in relation to this war, was fake news....before that term was even invented!

We have done the tunnels - I did not feel they glorified the war in any way.  They were like our moving visit to the World War One trenches earlier this year.  Thought provoking and reminders of how we got things so wrong in the past but did not admit it

• Like 1

I get all of that and agree.  I also think we treated these kids who fought over here so poorly when they returned.  in any case, from Ha Long Bay to Hoi An to Saigon, I enjoyed this country and the people.  Looking forward to Bangkok too.  

The band in the Living Room, Smooth Sensations, continues to impress.  They are doing the next itinerary and then leaving. Ernest is doing his act tomorrow night. We’ll take that in. 

10 hours ago, hubofhockey said:

We had 1/2 day in Saigon this morning and did a Jeep tour.  These are done on Jeeps left by USA after the war and renovated and a great way to see the city, since the views from open Jeeps are great.  We stopped in Reunification Palace, the Old Post Office, a shop that makes lacquerware,  the Ben Tranh Market, and the Fine Arts Museum (replaced the war museum with that).  I am not going to get political at all here, but I do have a lot of respect for Viet Nam veterans and we treated them poorly on their return.  I wouldn't do tunnels or anything glorifying the war out of respect to them.  That's all.  The Vietnamese have moved past the war.  The people in South Vietnam see things differently than others.  It's fascinating getting all perspectives.  Saigon has 12 to 13 million people and that is something I never would have guessed.  The three ports and five days in Vietnam have been great.  Tomorrow is a sea day.  We are doing the Rijasttafel (Rice Table) tonight and French Chef's Table tomorrow.  After that, it's three days in Bangkok and a day in Ko Samui, Thailand.  

I am enjoying the BBQs by the pool when they have them.  Today's Asian BBQ was very good.  Still kicking myself for not going out to dinner in Saigon (HCMC) last night, but I did want to experience white night event.  NOW, I know better.

Robin, we actually ate at the table inside the room today.  It will only be getting hotter as we head to Thailand.

I eat inside  for breakfast. Habit by butler. But was by the pool bar for lunch and flew to bar beforethe rain. Later enjoy my balcony watching the landscape.

i have seen the tunnels etc. went with  Thomas and Sheena around Saigon plus one nurse on the full day. My plan was a massage but having bikes jump onto the sidewalk by us as we walked I decided I wanted to go back to ship.my land tour I did not feel afraid but yesterday..

Bangkok sleeping on land..need a good nights sleep.

might be on your Japan cruise or one before it.

By now now I am sure you seen me on s bear stool or dancing.still hope to hear a true Boston accent,

one thing you have not mention is this is a booze cruise compared to others this fall. Also  for those who know the DJ..I have seen or heard some guests think this is NYE on another cruise line. I finally said to a guest really he is playing great music..