NCL Transfer Question - NEW ORLEANS

MAPCruises

We did the free air with NCL for our November cruise out of New Orleans and are generally happy with our flights, really the best option that could have been booked.  However, our flight arrives at MSY at 8:39 AM and our flight home is at 6:09 PM.  When we booked we got the transfers included. 

Does anyone know how the NCL transfer service works?  My fear is we will be waiting at airport for a couple hours until bus fills up to take to the cruise terminal.  And on way home.  I do not want to go to airport and wait for 8 hours, we want to explore New Orleans for a couple hours. I am thinking about just calling and canceling our NCL transfers ($40 / person and family of 4)  But wonder what is best way to handle luggage while we explore.  keep transfer and go check in luggage early then explore,  or store luggage somewhere and do tour?

If anyone has experience in New Orleans any insight would be appreciated. 

5 minutes ago, MAPCruises said:

We did the free air with NCL for our November cruise out of New Orleans and are generally happy with our flights, really the best option that could have been booked.  However, our flight arrives at MSY at 8:39 AM and our flight home is at 6:09 PM.  When we booked we got the transfers included. 

Does anyone know how the NCL transfer service works?  My fear is we will be waiting at airport for a couple hours until bus fills up to take to the cruise terminal.  And on way home.  I do not want to go to airport and wait for 8 hours, we want to explore New Orleans for a couple hours. I am thinking about just calling and canceling our NCL transfers ($40 / person and family of 4)  But wonder what is best way to handle luggage while we explore.  keep transfer and go check in luggage early then explore,  or store luggage somewhere and do tour?

If anyone has experience in New Orleans any insight would be appreciated. 

I would cancel the transfers.  You can take a cab from the airport to the port for around $35.  Once you get off the plane, get your luggage and grab a cab, you will arrive close to 10am and be close to entering the waiting area.  Upon your return, you can drop your luggage off at a BagBnB and explore the French Quarter for a few hours then take a cab back to the airport.  

Which cruise are you on?  I am doing the Getaway on November 17th from NOLA.  Can't wait!

If you can get out of the transfer, I recommend BagNB - its like $6/bag and let you not have to worry about your bags while you're there. I'm using it for my cruise in Dec, and my flight doesn't leave til 6 either. Dropping the bags off at a hotel through the app and picking up the airport shuttle from the hotel.

Since you can't cancel the transfers, use them both ways and check your luggage at the airport after the cruise, but rent a car before your flight.  Should be less than cabs/Uber/Lyft both ways back to the French Quarter (if that's where you intend to go).

The transfers to the port will start leaving by 10-10.30am most likely, so you won't have too long a wait after landing and getting your luggage.

2 hours ago, MAPCruises said:

Has anyone had luck canceling transfers after final payment? 

Just called and they told me no dice.  the only thing I can do is apply $80 towards a post cruise New Orleans Shore excursion.

I would call again and just tell them that you want to cancel the transfer - I've been given wrong info before and I've read posts from others who were told they couldn't cancel transfers with the free air (even before final payment) and others who have said they had no problem.  I'd make the assumption that a transfer is no different than an excursion which you can cancel....sometimes a positive "this is what I want to do" with NCL gets a better response than "can I..."

• Like 1