Which would you eliminate?

Lem_On_Ade

if you like meat, moderno.  if you like fancier food, le bistro. If you like steak, Cagney's.  Those are my tops.  Didn't care for their la cucina. Probably varies from ship to ship in my experience as far as overall satisfaction.  Teppanyki is fun, but if you've done hibachi before in a land restaurant its not quite the same experience.

I'd ditch Moderno ... it was pretty weak.    Salad bar is nice, but the meat on a stick thing (growing to be a cliche) was not executed very well.     The silly gaucho boys were moving slowly throughout ... and forget it if you didnt want the particular doneness they had on their stick ... you were gonna wait a while.    The chicken was dried out and way too garlicky (even for me)  .. service was just Meh.

We did La Cucina (good, but pizza was skimpy ans cold when we got it but rest of the meal was great) . . . loved Bayamo though.   

Edited by F27TW

Cagney's is the best steakhouse at sea in my opinion.

Moderno is going to be a nice experience if you've never been to a Brazilian steakhouse.  

Teppanyaki is always a good time and we enjoy interacting with the other people at the table.    The chefs on NCL have always been very entertaining even though they do not perform any open flame tricks during their show.

La Cucina would be what I would eliminate.  We have better Italian restaurants locally.

On 10/11/2019 at 9:55 AM, Lem_On_Ade said:

I have my first NCL cruise booked for January. We received the specialty dining package of 3 meals. Seeing as how I've never been on NCL before I'm having a hard time deciding which restaurants to try. Let me preface by saying I love steak, Italian food and hibachi type meals so I would love some input from anyone who has ate at these places before. We currently have Moderno, Cagney's, La Cucina and Teppanyaki booked. I need to eliminate one, which would you choose? Thanks!!

Based on my experience, I would eliminate Moderno and replace Cagney's with LeBistro, which is a better restaurant with an excellent filet.

On 10/11/2019 at 4:30 PM, dexddd said:

We've been pretty lucky there and enjoy it other than after effects of the salt.

We did have a cook on BA who must have been new.  Not good and dropped a few eggs on floor doing the egg in the hat trick.

I think that I would have enjoyed that!!

On 10/11/2019 at 9:55 AM, Lem_On_Ade said:

I have my first NCL cruise booked for January. We received the specialty dining package of 3 meals. Seeing as how I've never been on NCL before I'm having a hard time deciding which restaurants to try. Let me preface by saying I love steak, Italian food and hibachi type meals so I would love some input from anyone who has ate at these places before. We currently have Moderno, Cagney's, La Cucina and Teppanyaki booked. I need to eliminate one, which would you choose? Thanks!!

La Cucina.

On 10/11/2019 at 8:55 AM, Lem_On_Ade said:

I would eliminate La Cucina, for me Italian food isn't super special, although I love Italian food.

Moderno has been our favorite on NCL cruises, in fact we like it better than Cagney's.

On 10/11/2019 at 10:36 AM, Lem_On_Ade said:

Thanks for the input! I think it really is a crapshoot lol. I've actually never been to a Brazilian type steakhouse so that's why I was leaning towards keeping Moderno even though I'm sure it's nothing like what I would experience on land. My thinking with Cagney's was that I did eat at Carnival's steakhouse but wasn't really wowed, but I know this could be totally different. I appreciate all of your recommendations so far!!

NCL's implementation of a Brazilian steakhouse is not great. I would not let this be your first churasscaria experience. The cuts they serve aren't great and they tend to come around infrequently with the good stuff.

The current iteration of La Cucina is a lot better than what it was a few years ago. I liked it much much more last year compared to the last time we went a few years prior to that.

I would go to Cagney's, Le Bistro and La Cucina.

6 minutes ago, richg35 said:

NCL's implementation of a Brazilian steakhouse is not great. I would not let this be your first churasscaria experience. The cuts they serve aren't great and they tend to come around infrequently with the good stuff.

I have a different philosophy, If it is your first experience then you won't be disappointed if it is worse than what you would get on land.  This is also the same reason I like to see the movie before I read the book. :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, RedwingHockeyFan said:

I have a different philosophy, ........

Similar thought here.

If you have a FAVORITE restaurant at home, don't 'comparison shop' aboard for that type of food.

Two outcomes:

1.  Ship restaurant doesn't measure up to your land fave.  Mmm, this was ok/blah/sucked (expected result, not good)

2.  Ship restaurant was superior to your land fave.  Now you go home with a diminished view of a place you've always loved (unexpected result, not good) 

This is why we stay away from Moderno; we've always been fond our local Churrascaria.

This thread is making me hungry..Most of the ships have their 5 basic SDP venues. Some have 2/3 additionals venues.

If never dined before and depending on how many you get , try them all.

You'll figure out which to use on your next cruise. Nothing will be the exact same on the different ships anyways.

Enjoy

• Like 1

My recent cruise on Jewel all of the above were subpar minus Teppanyaki.    If I had to remove one then it would be La Cucina, food was lacking any quality.     Based on my recent cruise I would not bother with the specialty restaurants even if free as I felt obligated to tip even though food and service reflect didn't one.