Island or Crown for Transatlantic

Ombud

With 1 week sea days the ship becomes more important to me. Which would you pick & why? Island has patisserie whereas Crown has IC but that's comparable on paper. I won't use the pool and like both selection of ports

We've done 2 WB TAs on the Crown P (2009, 2010) and enjoyed the ship and the itineraries very much; also did a Caribbean cruise on the Crown--total days on the ship:  53.  Have been on the Coral twice (for 24 days in total) and loved it, but have not been on its sister the Island.  The latter was enlarged a few years ago and there have been many negative comments here about that situation.

Edited by BarbinMich

With lots of sea days and it being too cold for pool time, I'd say Crown all the way, but I am not a hater of the Island. I did not find it to be overly crowded on a Panama Canal cruise.  I loved Crooners there, it was large and I always found a place to sit.

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

Island has patisserie whereas Crown has IC but that's comparable on paper.

Not comparable in reality. International Cafe is 24/7 with much greater selection.

We've sailed Crown 3 or 4 times and have another booked. With Island, it was one and done. Aft section is a muddled mess. Worst gym I've seen, dark and dreary.

Jim

Thanks. I actually have the Crown booked but thought about switching to the Island as I will be missing Thanksgiving 3 yrs in a row. Maybe we should do Veterans Day (Thanksgiving) Dinner instead

Edited by Ombud

Any Princess ship before Island. We were very disappointed with the changes when we sailed Island. Not only did they butcher the ship and remove Universe Lounge to add a bunch of cabins but while doing that crazy extensive remodel they failed to add  IC. Mind boggling. We would definitely choose Crown.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Crown for sure.

Island had a lot of public space removed with extra cabins added and about 250 plus extra passengers with no additional dining space.

Not to mention NO International Cafe.

On all those sea days with everyone jammed inside Fugget about it

My thoughts exactly.

Wow...I'm going to be on the Island for 2 months. You've all depressed me! The itinerary is fantastic and unusual so I didn't really think that the ship would be so horrible. 

Personally, I won't go on the Sun or Grand again, but have enjoyed the other Princess ships I've been on. Hope I won't be sorry I've spent so much money to go on a crappy ship.🥺

27 minutes ago, Go-Bucks! said:

Wow...I'm going to be on the Island for 2 months. You've all depressed me! The itinerary is fantastic and unusual so I didn't really think that the ship would be so horrible. 

Personally, I won't go on the Sun or Grand again, but have enjoyed the other Princess ships I've been on. Hope I won't be sorry I've spent so much money to go on a crappy ship.🥺

If you haven't sailed on Coral or sailed on Island before the  retrofit you won't know the difference. It really mostly matters to those who have done previous sailings on Island or Coral. Ignore what is said here and have a fantastic cruise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Go-Bucks! said:

Don't let all this affect your upcoming cruise.  You will have a great time. 

There are some aspects of it that people don't like, but a vacation is what you make of it. 

While the Island is not my first choice, I would sail her again if she was doing an itinerary I wanted.

• Like 1

I sailed on the Island to Alaska this summer and just returned from our transatlantic cruise on the Crown. I liked them both. I did miss the International Café on the Island. The Island is a more intimate ship, with around 2,200 passengers.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Go-Bucks! said:

. . .

Yes, the Island's around-the-world (or smaller segments) itinerary is fantastic, but not if you have to do it on the Island.

• Like 2

On 10/11/2019 at 8:32 AM, Ombud said:

With 1 week sea days the ship becomes more important to me. Which would you pick & why? Island has patisserie whereas Crown has IC but that's comparable on paper. I won't use the pool and like both selection of ports

Crown.

On 10/11/2019 at 8:26 PM, Thrak said:

If you haven't sailed on Coral or sailed on Island before the  retrofit you won't know the difference. It really mostly matters to those who have done previous sailings on Island or Coral. Ignore what is said here and have a fantastic cruise.

I was on the Coral in 2008...liked it.  So now what am I going to think??

On 10/12/2019 at 1:11 PM, BarbinMich said:

Yes, the Island's around-the-world (or smaller segments) itinerary is fantastic, but not if you have to do it on the Island.

Not the ATW 2021 or any of it's segments...this is a circumnavigation of South America itinerary in Jan, 2020.  No choice of ship cuz no other ship does it.  It's a once-done unusual itinerary. 

QUESTION: are the balcony cabins at the back of the Promenade deck OK?  I'm assuming they are part of the remodeling that was done.  Most importantly...DOES THE BALCONY HAVE GLASS OR IS IT METAL?

Edited by Go-Bucks!